British Speedway Forum
SHALEWAY69

Neil Street Stories Wanted.

I am compiling stories on Neil Street for a new publication. information on SRN engines, stories and memories are welcome. Tony

• Like 1

I am compiling stories on Neil Street for a new publication. information on SRN engines, stories and memories are welcome. Tony

Will you be commenting that his Four Valve Engines have virtually wrecked Speedway.

Granted he didn't know that at the time, but ultimately that was the result.

My book will record the history based on the historial and technical facts. View points are not for me as a researcher and historian to make comment on.

Tony

• Like 1

RICK WASON On behalf of the Broadford Bike Bonanza Committee I can now let eveyrone know that one of the main themes for the 2018 Easter Bike Bonanza is going to be a Celebration of Neil Street. As most people already know Neil was a rider, an engine designer and manufacturer, a team manager and also the team manager for the Australian Speedway Team in many World Cups. Neil helped Australian speedway riders here and abroad at club and international levels. Neil Street was one of life`s true gentleman.

Due to having so much fun last year at the Broadford Bonanza, Neil`s Grandson and 3 times World Speedway Champion Jason Crump has already committed to the event as has Jasons father ex International Speedway Star Phil Crump. It is going to be a huge event for 2018 with many ex International riders being invited. John Heavyside has also already committed the Vincent Sidecars to the event and with the Carters and the Woods there will be no shortage of three wheel action. If you didn`t get enough of Clarrie Jones last year, fear not because he has started work on a new sidecar for next years event and hopefully Peter Marraige will be on the back again. I would like to thank all the people that supported last years event and would like to also thank Rod Hunter of RH8 Classic M/C as he will once again supply the race bikes that Jason will be riding in the 2018 event. I have heard a rumour that a lot of the Bendigo Dragons Speedway team will be showing up and I have yet to contact the Avalon Lions and the Myrtleford Monarchs to get their thoughts. Also another strong rumor is the Phontom may have 2 or more bikes at his disposal for next year, hmmmm interesting. So, dust off those SR4 motors and start getting ready.

My book will record the history based on the historial and technical facts. View points are not for me as a researcher and historian to make comment on.

Tony

Thanks for your reply.

You are quite right in what you say. However - I believe that I am right in my opinion on this one - I just thought you may be interested in an alternative viewpoint.

Ian. :)

• Like 1

His first team manager role was at Weymouth I believe. Far and away the best team manager Weymouth ever had. None of the hysterics shown by most managers past and present whenever a decision went against them just quietly encouraging and advising his own guys. Probably worth an extra half dozen points for his team every meeting.

Off track a true gentleman with time for everyone and a great memory for names and places.

Nothing flashy just a great guy.

:) :) :)

thanks for that Wessex Wanderer

Thanks for your reply.

You are quite right in what you say. However - I believe that I am right in my opinion on this one - I just thought you may be interested in an alternative viewpoint.

Ian. :)

I do appreciate alternative view points and I value your input. We have to remember that speedway started with 4 valves Rudges and other makes in 1928, It was only a matter of time before it came around again.if it had not been Neil who instigated the change some one else would have To be historically correct Christer Loftquist used an ERM the previous year so neil was not the first to come up with the idea.

• Like 1

A true gentleman and a Newport wasps legend as a rider and manager.

I was at the World Cup final at Peterborough, spotted him walking past me said hi and asked him to sign my programme. He recginised me from a few away matches with the wasps and said I'll get the lads to sign it for you asked me to follow him to the pits and he duly did reappear with a programme signed with all the Aussies riding and a few helping out. I'm sure Bill is showing somebody how to gate properly somewhere. RIP

• Like 1

I remember visiting somerton park early in 1975, and watching neil fly around there easily beating riders of a greater ability. This is not a dig, merely an observation on how much faster the new engines were.

I don't have any stories as such, but i roomed with him at a few gp's over the years abroad and he was just a lovely man.

A true gent.

• Like 1

I don't have any stories as such, but i roomed with him at a few gp's over the years abroad and he was just a lovely man.

A true gent.

You must have some stories from that Doc!

I remember visiting somerton park early in 1975, and watching neil fly around there easily beating riders of a greater ability. This is not a dig, merely an observation on how much faster the new engines were.

Yes,i remember visiting on a Bank Holiday trip,first to Oxford and then afterwards Newport ,and Streety was a totally different rider to the previous seasons on that bike.At least in the first few months

Ditto, we must have been on the same Wimbledon coach trip. Why didn't you say hello!