British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shockster

The Tapes & Unsatisfactory Starts

I understand the current rules state that riders have to sit still at the start and any movement can result in an unsatisfactory start and the race being stopped. This happens on far too many occasions and I agree with most people that if this rule is to persist then there should be no going back to the pits. It would still delay meetings though.

However, why not let the riders move? Let them move as much as they want and if they get a flyer great stuff. We all watch meetings where certain gates are graves, well if they could move maybe it would be a leveller? If by moving though they touch the tapes then obviously they're out.

No more unsatisfactory starts and the meetings would run more smoothly.

Just a thought and apologies if this topic has been covered. I was reading the comments on the BT Coverage thread about meetings running over scheduled times and fans missing the ends of match.

• Like 1

I understand the current rules state that riders have to sit still at the start and any movement can result in an unsatisfactory start and the race being stopped. This happens on far too many occasions and I agree with most people that if this rule is to persist then there should be no going back to the pits. It would still delay meetings though.

However, why not let the riders move? Let them move as much as they want and if they get a flyer great stuff. We all watch meetings where certain gates are graves, well if they could move maybe it would be a leveller? If by moving though they touch the tapes then obviously they're out.

No more unsatisfactory starts and the meetings would run more smoothly.

Just a thought and apologies if this topic has been covered. I was reading the comments on the BT Coverage thread about meetings running over scheduled times and fans missing the ends of match.

Remember the 1972 World Final, in particular, whereby some riders were so far back from the tapes that they were getting enormous flyers and the referee letting it go much to the bemusement of some that were present.

Remember the 1972 World Final, in particular, whereby some riders were so far back from the tapes that they were getting enormous flyers and the referee letting it go much to the bemusement of some that were present.

OK, to counter that possibility, simply paint a white line say 30cm behind the tapes and the front wheel must be on or infront of it or something to that effect. Certainly not impossible to stop massive rollers.

• Like 1

They just need to do what they do in Poland- very very few false starts why ?? because the start marshall is continually checking with the ref that he is happy with how they line up- all 4 riders have to have the front wheel right on the tapes and if anyone moves back the start marshall is told by the ref to see to the rider !! One other thing they are hot on over there is that the rider on gate 4 must line up straight- not at an angle pointing to the inside. These 2 things means the starts are more often than not fair.

• Like 1

They just need to do what they do in Poland- very very few false starts why ?? because the start marshall is continually checking with the ref that he is happy with how they line up- all 4 riders have to have the front wheel right on the tapes and if anyone moves back the start marshall is told by the ref to see to the rider !! One other thing they are hot on over there is that the rider on gate 4 must line up straight- not at an angle pointing to the inside. These 2 things means the starts are more often than not fair.

I noticed that regarding start marshal always checks with ref.

I agree, it does seem to be better in Poland, but it's not always the case with the GP's.

Is anybody actually AGAINST letting riders move at the start as long as there is NO tape touching? Should it be trialled?

Personally I can't see a downside!

I agree, it does seem to be better in Poland, but it's not always the case with the GP's.

Is anybody actually AGAINST letting riders move at the start as long as there is NO tape touching? Should it be trialled?

Yes i`m against riders moving -if allowed it would soon become a farce !!!

• Like 6

Think there would be a lot of re-runs,and long drawn out meetings.

Yes i`m against riders moving -if allowed it would soon become a farce !!!

Interesting. Why would it become a farce? As long as riders avoid the tapes they would be OK!

Think there would be a lot of re-runs,and long drawn out meetings.

Why do you think there would be a lot of re-runs? The reason for my question was to cut out re-runs due to unsatisfactory starts!

Anyone who watched the meeting at Vastervik last night and the referees decisions would have been shocked if it was a Premier ,Championship or National League meeting and same decisions. but what a great meeting and just getting on with racing. commendable refereeing in my opinion.

Interesting. Why would it become a farce? As long as riders avoid the tapes they would be OK!

Why do you think there would be a lot of re-runs? The reason for my question was to cut out re-runs due to unsatisfactory starts!

It would be a farce because the refs would just hold the tapes even longer trying to catch them- in turn more exclusions and therefore delays Edited by racers and royals

You may well be correct R&R and if so it would be counter productive. I do think it would be worth trialling in a few meetings though? Maybe in a track individual meeting with no "real" title at risk.

You may well be correct R&R and if so it would be counter productive. I do think it would be worth trialling in a few meetings though? Maybe in a track individual meeting with no "real" title at risk.

I seem to recall that there was talk (and it may have been just that) of having someone hold a length of rope behind the bikes so as to stop them from moving back once the green light was activated.

Do you really think there would be very little tape touching if the riders think they can roll?

Do you really think there would be very little tape touching if the riders think they can roll?

I think there may be more than normal to start with, but all changes no matter which sport need time to bed in.