Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

I remember the Golden Jubilee meeting at Hackney in Feb 78 (the coldest meeting I've been to, and that includes the 88 ice final!)

All the riders were riding the vintage machines from the 20's/30's and 40's.

Most of the riders were trying to ride the old bikes in their usual riding style, and not doing too well..

The only rider who looked totally at home was Barry Thomas who really got into the spirit and rode like a pioneer leg-trailer.

I often felt that Thommo's riding style would have been more suited to the early years of the sport!

Been watching alot of old Hackney meetings on you tube with Hackney and Thommo what great value he was one of my favourites.I can remember seeing Barry ride for England at the Abbey against Russia over the years only went to Hackney about ten times a great night out some really good racing there but one thing i remember it always looked dark there. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

I have always thought the leg back riding style was to do with the lower centre of gravity of the lay down engine - so it is easier to balance. I reckon if you put them on an upright engine they wouldnt be able to do it. As for the early leg trailers - there was more dirt on the track - so they didnt get so sideways - so that made it easier to ride in that style. That is my theory...

• Like 2

I have always thought the leg back riding style was to do with the lower centre of gravity of the lay down engine - so it is easier to balance. I reckon if you put them on an upright engine they wouldnt be able to do it. As for the early leg trailers - there was more dirt on the track - so they didnt get so sideways - so that made it easier to ride in that style. That is my theory...

The old-time classic leg trail style as demonstrated by Wal Phillips in the early 1930s, and commented on by spinkox.

13335717_291236197882576_151734021436319
Edited by Guest

Towards the back end of my attending speedway (2003) I was finding it more and more difficult trying to identify riders with their matching kevlars and full face helmets I have to say.

Thing is, while I find the team kevlars busy, that doesn't really cause me the confusion. In the old days, everyone looked the same in black, but it was easy enough to recognise most riders. Likewise the full face helmets. In the late 80's. there were a lot of riders wearing Bell Moto III's, and again, it wasn't difficult to identify everyone.

I really think that it is down to the "generic" riding style that everyone seems to have adopted, and it's not just a case of the cornering; even the body positions on the straight all seem the same now. Also, speedway riders used to be a much wider variety of sizes and shapes than they are now. Compare some already mentioned here, like Broady and Schoie, and "Big Arthur". You had Les McGillivray, Eric Boothroyd, Andy Buck, Graham Miles, Peter Craven, Norman Strachan...

Sigh...

Steve

• Like 2

Thing is, while I find the team kevlars busy, that doesn't really cause me the confusion. In the old days, everyone looked the same in black, but it was easy enough to recognise most riders. Likewise the full face helmets. In the late 80's. there were a lot of riders wearing Bell Moto III's, and again, it wasn't difficult to identify everyone.

I really think that it is down to the "generic" riding style that everyone seems to have adopted, and it's not just a case of the cornering; even the body positions on the straight all seem the same now. Also, speedway riders used to be a much wider variety of sizes and shapes than they are now. Compare some already mentioned here, like Broady and Schoie, and "Big Arthur". You had Les McGillivray, Eric Boothroyd, Andy Buck, Graham Miles, Peter Craven, Norman Strachan...

Sigh...

Steve

It was far, far easier to recognise Riders by the personal style of riding, sitting on the Bike and Race Jackets than it is these days.

The Riders all look the bloody same, both on the Bike and off it. The Bikes look all the same.

There is no room for a bit of individuality any more unfortunately.

Yet more reasons why Speedway is suffering, in my opinion.

• Like 3

We even had 'Villains' in those days to entertain the crowd. Jack Millen, Tony Childs, Taffy Owen and Frank Auffret just to name a few.

Workington's finest, Taffy Owen, a villain? How dare you, sir?!

Workington's finest, Taffy Owen, a villain? How dare you, sir?!

He was when he came to Sunderland back in the day. :o;)

Shared a Taxi with him at a Crewe Reunion once and we got on really well. :t:

Great bloke. :t::approve:

• Like 1

He was when he came to Sunderland back in the day. :o;)

Shared a Taxi with him at a Crewe Reunion once and we got on really well. :t:

Great bloke. :t::approve:

There's articles on Taffy in both the 'Classic' & 'Backtrack' magazines.