British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mikebendone

Plymouth Track

Under 19 British final at Plymouth,a first class line up of stars to come,first 5 races were excellent to watch.

Track had plenty of watering over 24 hours,but the lack of dirt/shale on the track made the track become a dust pit.

Wide blue lines on the both bends and straights!

It is only my opinion but it is this lack of shale on the track which is causing most of the problems with the racing at the SBA.

I can not fault the 110% effort put in by the track staff, but you can only work with what you have!

Once again a good night of speedway,with it being the under 19 British final I did not under stand the poor turn out.

This was a night to watch the up and coming young riders of the future.

A 100% effort from young Henry of Plymouth Devils his day will come.

99% stayed right to the very end ,for an outlay of just £10 a good nights entertainment .

I have only been to Plymouth 3 times... the opening bight and 3 others...

The 2 league matches thai I have been to were both entertaining and |I would rate it as a good track by what I have seen.

I am going to see the Colts there in a couple of weeks.....

Disappointing to see a poor attendance

I went to Peterborough for the U21 qualifier which was a good entertaining meeting.....16 young riders who will give it their all

A National League track with a lack of dirt and a blue groove seems to be a growing trend.

Not just NL .IMO .Trouble is if you put a little shale on it you need a fleet of Ambulances on stand by otherwise meeting ends prematurely with curfew imposed at most tracks.

It's not just a NL thing. Most of the tracks I visit are devoid of much shale. Although not one of my favourite venues, Eastbourne has been very well prepared this season, and the racing has improved as a result.

I went last year to Plymouth for the first time, after getting over the shock of the size, I really enjoyed the night.

We saw Redcar perform, lots of passing, really friendly and welcoming locals and an obvious attempt to move the club forwards.

Plymouth is a great track less shale on it than the pl days i dont think nl standard riders would cope with it if its too grippy

Certainly an issue of safety with these tracks, if you go down to the base you can no longer put water down because it will make it like riding on ice, no water means you can't control any dust and gawd forbid it should rain.

Speedway is about riding on a shale or in the past a cinder track, not concrete or tarmac.

The SBA is good for about 5 races,then the blue lines and dust start,watering heavy at this stage is just not possible due the lack of depth of shale.

The point about having shale/dirt down gives more grip more racing lines and better racing.

All up and coming riders have to master this art if they wish to progress forward.

Like Claret73 said speedway is about riding on shale not tarmac!.

One of the major effects on track surfaces is machinery.

In days gone by, the engine used 'total destroy' oil system. Once the engine warmed up it 'leaked' oil as the riders were going round. Not excessively, just a little each race. The overall effect of that was the track retained any dampness as the oil mixed with shale used to smell wonderful as the riders raced. The modern day engines have an oil cathcher and the riders have to dump their used oil in a specific oil drum.

I know one promoter fills up the water bowser and then tips some of the used oil in it. They usually have a superb racing surface!

Oh for the smell of 'Castrol R' again. its all synthetic stuff now.

I absolutely love watching speedway at Plymouth. Certainly in my top 5 tracks in the Country. I just wouldnt want to be a promoter trying to prepare a track, whatever the weather. A lot of armchair fans seem to know better, but very few offer any help.

One of the major effects on track surfaces is machinery.

In days gone by, the engine used 'total destroy' oil system. Once the engine warmed up it 'leaked' oil as the riders were going round. Not excessively, just a little each race. The overall effect of that was the track retained any dampness as the oil mixed with shale used to smell wonderful as the riders raced. The modern day engines have an oil cathcher and the riders have to dump their used oil in a specific oil drum.

Oh for the smell of 'Castrol R' again. its all synthetic stuff now.

'Total loss' actually ... and engines don't have an oil catcher, they use wet sumps (and splash lubrication). And castor oil is still used.

Castrol r is certainly still used.

We use Morrison's castor oil .. there are others.