British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beowulf

Wolves V Rye House 10th July

Some good races. I recorded it and got through it in about 45 minutes by use of the 30 sec forward button.

It looks like Bomber is no longer Bomber but simply Harris. All old names have been removed from the bike and the helmet for some time.

Just watched the replay of the meeting,and shocked to hear Adams say that Riss could be out for 12 weeks.If so, then it looks like his season is finished and we have to look at alternatives.Not sure who's available from the Championship on his average,but can't really see using Ellis,Starke or Perks for that amount of time is an option.

I'm not surprised we are using Perks again at Rye, however he showed last night he probably isn't the solution we need.

• Like 1

Just watched the replay of the meeting,and shocked to hear Adams say that Riss could be out for 12 weeks.If so, then it looks like his season is finished and we have to look at alternatives.Not sure who's available from the Championship on his average,but can't really see using Ellis,Starke or Perks for that amount of time is an option.

Well Ellis and Starke are not available next Monday so the choice gets more limited.

It looks like Bomber is no longer Bomber but simply Harris. All old names have been removed from the bike and the helmet for some time.

Probably 'yes' if riding in Germany!

Edited by GWC
  • Like 1

SRA track of the year awards Wolves record is

Winner 2006 2009 2010 2012 2015

Second 2007 2011 3013 2014 2016

Third 2008

Not too shabby top 3 in 11 years

All that illustrates is how bad the rest of the tracks in the country are. Got to agree with those who say Wolves tracks is bad, awful shape, not SPEEDway.

Just down to whoever manages to peg it round the kerb. Way too tight, modern day bikes do not respond well to being folded in half, hence the locking up.

The surface, while looking reasonable, must have issues as it caught Harris out as soon as he hit the bend in heat 1. If it's catching world class riders out is it really good?

Granted there was passing, I was sad enough to count and got 14. I'm sure people will disagree with the number but that's my opinion based on my definition of a pass.

In conclusion, Wolves, another track that needs a re-shape along with 'Lynn. There will be more added to the list I'm sure as we progress with the coverage on BT.

Edited by Stoke Potter

All that illustrates is how bad the rest of the tracks in the country are. Got to agree with those who say Wolves tracks is bad, awful shape, not SPEEDway.

Just down to whoever manages to peg it round the kerb. Way too tight, modern day bikes do not respond well to being folded in half, hence the locking up.

The surface, while looking reasonable, must have issues as it caught Harris out as soon as he hit the bend in heat 1. If it's catching world class riders out is it really good?

Granted there was passing, I was sad enough to count and got 14. I'm sure people will disagree with the number but that's my opinion based on my definition of a pass.

In conclusion, Wolves, another track that needs a re-shape along with 'Lynn. There will be more added to the list I'm sure as we progress with the coverage on BT.

I'm sure if you give Ladbrokes a bell and tell them the dog track needs to go they'll be most accommodating.

• Like 3

I'm sure if you give Ladbrokes a bell and tell them the dog track needs to go they'll be most accommodating.

A quick sniff on Google maps illustrates quite well that the track doesn't fill the available space. One of the few inside greyhound stadia that don't I'd guess..?

To be fair, I watched some Swedish Speedway tonight and it was largely rubbish. There was even a 20 minute delay to fill a hole in on the 1st bend...........so it looks like it's not just always British tracks that are below par as you suggest.

Besides, why would Wolves change the shape of their track to accommodate people who aren't Wolves fans? The locals are happy with the track and it produces decent racing with a sizable home advantage most of the time. There are much worse tracks than Wolves anyway, which as stevebrum has pointed out - has been voted best prepared for many years by riders. The monstrosity that is the track at Wimbourne Road needs digging up before we move onto anywhere else.

And since when is Harris a word class rider? ;)

• Like 3

It's voted on by referees and it's things like fence, track equipment etc that act as the criteria. The quality or not of the racing doesn't come into it.

A quick sniff on Google maps illustrates quite well that the track doesn't fill the available space. One of the few inside greyhound stadia that don't I'd guess..?

Interestingly, when the modlfications to the dog track were carried out a monmore a few years back I did some work for a couple of the ladbrokes guys involved in the changes.

I asked what was to happen with the new speedway track and they told me that the final choice was left to CVS.. The track shape could have been so much better.IMO

• Like 1

Watched the meeting, wasn't too excited by it, the track looks like it's very hard to master, a bit tight on the corners, i can see why there is an advantage for home riders or those who know it well, this makes the racing a bit too predictable for me, as for the Poole - Belle Vue meeting, the track looked dangerously bumpy to me.

I would argue with anyone that pre 2011 that Wolves track produced some of the best racing in the country. Enter the F.I.M and their new unnecessary new silencers in 2011 and unfortunately we now have a shadow of what we used to have. The circuit is still the best prepared in the country but because it is not flat out all the way round and throttle control is key we have a track with little outside passing with holding the kerb the key . #sad Last night was one of the better meetings at Monmore this year

Edited by New Science
  • Like 2

I was at Kent on monday so I never saw the meeting transmitted live. After watching it last night, I think it was standard fare for most tracks in this country. A couple of decent races, the rest from the gate. Most of the 39 meetings I have attended this season have been very similar!