British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Leicester V Coventry Bees Challenge Friday 28th July

I have a suggestion, get used to it.

Believe it or not I can remember when Hyde Road closed and the feeling that nobody was actually that bothered or even worse happy to see the end of The Aces wasn't great.

I lived through those days and still miss seeing the big dipper running round in the fair ground and over looking the track. The Hyde Road stadium was iconic and it's closure was a sad loss to the sport, to this day.

Get used to it? I don't think so.

A good day out ar Leicester for the travelling Bees fans.Chris Bart Simpson, brother Rich and myself were pleased to meet up with so many old friends from Brandon and for a 'four rider' team we did pretty well in the final reckoning. Pleased to see Kenneth Hansen who had made the trip over to ride for us was enjoying the acknowledgement of the fans on first bend after his final ride. Nice also to see Colin and Peter taking charge once again. Having been to all of the challenge matches this season, it is evident that the belief is with all of the fans that we will be back. Let's hope it's sooner rather than later and with good people who have the best interests of both club and fans at heart.

• Like 2

Obviously I cannot vouch for this meeting as I didn't go but the Poole meeting I went to, the racing was poor and very little passing so that is why I say it hasn't improved much but I am sure Bees fans are more than happy to see their team race at all. I hope they can sort something out for next season as they are badly missed by fans up and down the country.

I presume this was back in June when it was a 45 all draw? Missed this one as we were on holiday so I can't comment on the racing except that judging by the updates site you are probably right about there being little passing that night. However, you can't say 'it hasn't improved much' after watching one match this season as that's rather unfair. I go to 99% of the meetings and know that the racing has definitely improved following the track alterations. Just a shame the previous promoter was too stubborn to implement them earlier and lost a lot of fans who have never returned.

• Like 2

Leicester is now an okay circuit. Having been to most of them and raced on a lot of them, Leicester is pretty good. They should have made it wider but as it has now been built the way it is, get on with it.

And be grateful.

Edited by False dawn

I presume this was back in June when it was a 45 all draw? Missed this one as we were on holiday so I can't comment on the racing except that judging by the updates site you are probably right about there being little passing that night. However, you can't say 'it hasn't improved much' after watching one match this season as that's rather unfair. I go to 99% of the meetings and know that the racing has definitely improved following the track alterations. Just a shame the previous promoter was too stubborn to implement them earlier and lost a lot of fans who have never returned.

Yes that is true but as it isn't my local track i can only speak as i find but i take on board what you say and accept as a regular visitor it has improved. Yes it was the draw i went to back in june.

• Like 1

Which you described as a 'decent meeting', no mention of the lack of passing?

It was only when I commended Leicester on the improvements that you felt the need to contradict the widely held opinion that Leicester has improved this season.

Leicester may well have improved as I have explained I have only been once this season and perhaps unfair to judge on one meeting. I did post that early in the evening while I was at the meeting and the racing was close to start with and I expected there would be some passing later. I was obviously a bit hasty with my appraisal.

Edited by foreverblue

My first meeting since cov closed and my first visit to leicester. Really enjoyed it. My first post on this forum in a few years. Well done to everyone on putting on this meeting, we will visit leicester for sure next year. Despite the negative comments over the years I thought the track is not far off being a very good race circuit, nice and wide perhaps just requiring some more dirt out wide. My old work colleague who lives in Leicester attended this meeting, his first ever and says he'll be back, he added he never knew about the track. Best wishes to cov and Leicester speedways.

• Like 3