British Speedway Forum
martin_t

Heathens Planning Application

Dudley Wood to Dudley 3.6 miles

Dudley Wood to Lion Farm 3.2 Miles

Lion Farm to Dudley 3.3 miles

Sorry Rob :wink: i couldnt help pointing out thats its even more local to our old DudleyWood Stadium than what you actually pointed out.In actual fact Rob Cradley Heath is in Sandwell but Cradley Heath as a community has always had more of an affinity with Dudley geographically, Sportswise i guess the major alliance of Cradley Heath apart from the Heathens is with West Bromwich Albion Fc, and for supporters to get to "The Albion" from Cradley Heath most of them would go past "Lion Farm" on the way to the match.

That's okay, I wasn't sure exactly where the proposed site is. Dudley and Sandwell boroughs were political conveniences created in 1974 as part of the creation of the West Midlands County.

I remember in my time in the area (late 70s) the biggest challenge for the latter was trying to let people know where the hell Sandwell was...

There are few areas like the Black Country, and it deserves its speedway team and track back, no matter which side of an artificial line it sits ;-)

I wish you all well and pray the nightmare will soon be over.

• Like 3

As I just heard on the radio that it's happy black country day

I wish you luck

Someone have a pint of Batham's for me....

• Like 1

Oh great, the Halesowen News are involved.

The Trust need to keep an eye on this lot as they were almost as responsible as Dudley Council for torpedoing the application that was made for another site several years ago.

The one week they say what a great idea it is, the next they are out drumming up the local opposition and pedalling ridiculous scaremongering stories.

They were an absolute disgrace.

It's not in their backyard so I hope they keep their noses well and truely out.

Edited by Ommer Mon

Oh great, the Halesowen News are involved.

The Trust need to keep an eye on this lot as they were almost as responsible as Dudley Council for torpedoing the application that was made for another site several years ago.

The one week they say what a great idea it is, the next they are out drumming up the local opposition and pedalling ridiculous scaremongering stories.

They were an absolute disgrace.

It's not in their backyard so I hope they keep their noses well and truely out.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/sandwell/oldbury/2017/07/14/cradley-heathens-bosses-seek-to-ease-noise-fears-over-new-track/

We Knew the Speedway would be making the Headlines over the first few days, once its blown over, we have to focus on the Community aspect of it..

I hope this works out. It's good to see an attempt to offer something to the community and hopefully that will be a way forward for this and other potential new tracks.

• Like 2

Wish all involved the very best. Take it from me, depsite all the best efforts which can possibly be exerted they will need all the luck in the world. But theoretically it can be done, building a new track from scratch....

there seems to be much housing around that site - more houses more nimbys - wish you all the best though

I really hope this gets the green light...good luck to everyone involved. As a Bristol Bulldogs fan, I know the pain Heathens fans, and many others have had to endure.

Would love to live close enough to witness regular, Cradley, Wolves, Leicester, Birmingham and maybe in the future Coventry, local derbies.

As for housing being near the site, these nimby's should think carefully before complaining. If you live near land that can be sold for redevelopment, what would you rather have....a Speedway track with some minimal noise one evening a week max...or like Bristol, a mahoosive Ikea and Tescos built on it, where traffic and noise is 24/7?

Same can be said of the nimby's that complained about a new Bristol City Stadium being built near them...the 'posh' end of town didn't want this...now it's going to be used for Council housing haha...how I laughed out loud.

Be careful what you wish for ;-)

I really hope this gets the green light...good luck to everyone involved. As a Bristol Bulldogs fan, I know the pain Heathens fans, and many others have had to endure.

Would love to live close enough to witness regular, Cradley, Wolves, Leicester, Birmingham and maybe in the future Coventry, local derbies.

As for housing being near the site, these nimby's should think carefully before complaining. If you live near land that can be sold for redevelopment, what would you rather have....a Speedway track with some minimal noise one evening a week max...or like Bristol, a mahoosive Ikea and Tescos built on it, where traffic and noise is 24/7?

Same can be said of the nimby's that complained about a new Bristol City Stadium being built near them...the 'posh' end of town didn't want this...now it's going to be used for Council housing haha...how I laughed out loud.

Be careful what you wish for ;-)

Are people who buy a new property in good faith not entitled to feel a little disgruntled when after their purchase has gone through they later find there are plans for a speedway track near by?

Are people who buy a new property in good faith not entitled to feel a little disgruntled when after their purchase has gone through they later find there are plans for a speedway track near by?

I think you have to do due diligence when buying property, especially in this country and if next to land that can be built on and developed.

My point being about Speedway...one night a week of a little noise, and lets face it, it's hardly noisy these days. Or the prospect of getting a supermarket etc, with 24/7 disturbance?

So many Councils now are anti sport. Everything built seems to be 'out of town'. Creating soulless bowls, similar to an out of town shopping experience.

Sport, brings the community closer together. Having facilities local to where you live brings communities closer together.

What you have now in many places, are people that move in to houses and communities, who go to work, go shopping to their out of town shopping centres, with Restaurants and bars, and cinemas. Then go back home and never even speak to their neighbours.

The local communities are dying. Local shops, bars, pubs and community facilities, including sports stadia, are failing in my parts of the country, because councils feel the need to put facilities 'out of town'. It's these out of town facilities that are ruining communities and making this country soulless.

Some places are like ghost towns nowadays...that used to thrive.

When councils realise this it works. I've watched Ashton Gate be re developed into a magnificent new stadium. The council approved it...it's surrounded by housing, but part of the community. They stopped a large Supermarket being built. The streets around the stadium were once empty, shops shut, barren...a ghost town. Now they have encouraged local independent companies to develop. Coffee shops, Restaurants, bars, local brewery and bakery using the yeast from the brewery...local produce weekly market, theatre...the community has come alive again. And it's wonderful to see. And yes...every Saturday and Tuesday evening, the area is swamped by cars and people watching the football. But they all use the local facilities and mix with the community.

Speedway is a family sport...and if promoted correctly, could be embraced by the community. I look at Somerset Speedway to see that. Highbridge...a run down backwater of a town, that now has a community feel and focal point. It brings communities together.

Speedway tracks and other sports stadiums should be embraced even in inner city's or by suburbs imo...as they bring 'community' and togetherness. I don't see that with supermarkets etc.

Maybe it's me...but councils have got it wrong over the years. They've done nothing to encourage community in the whole. They've broken them if anything.

Sit at home in your soulless box...go to work, go shopping out of town to a soulless supermarket, cinema, restaurant chain or sports stadium, then come home again to your soulless box. That's how many parts of the country have become sadly.

Thankfully I live in a small market town with great community with local pubs, restaurants, sports facilities and independent shops. It feels 'healthy'. However...on my travels I see what I've described and think it's been part and parcel to why this country has become so fragmented.

• Like 4

They are trying to find a site for a permanent gypsy site , let the residents know they are considering that site they will soon be welcoming a speedway track

• Like 3

They are trying to find a site for a permanent gypsy site , let the residents know they are considering that site they will soon be welcoming a speedway track

I don't think the 'gipsy site' threat will be valid with local residents. No 'threat' at all facing local residents. The site where it is proposed to lay the track - at least I understand it - is on land already designated and used for other sporting activities. The speedway track is suggested as an extension to those activities.

And I am not in principle opposed to a speedway track being laid on the sports complex. All I was trying to highlight was the possible feelings of people who may have bought properties nearby and had no idea when completing such a deal that they might in the future have to tolerate motorcycle noise. Plus the fact that potential speedway meeting followers by and large will not be local residents.

Perhaps a consultation about a possible speedway track with people who live near the proposed venue could avoid problems further along the way.

Edited by Guest