British Speedway Forum
martin_t

Heathens Planning Application

I don't think the 'gipsy site' threat will be valid with local residents. No 'threat' at all facing local residents. The site where it is proposed to lay the track - at least I understand it - is on land already designated and used for other sporting activities. The speedway track is suggested as an extension to those activities.

And I am not in principle opposed to a speedway track being laid on the sports complex. All I was trying to highlight was the possible feelings of people who may have bought properties nearby and had no idea when completing such a deal that they might in the future have to tolerate motorcycle noise. Plus the fact that potential speedway meeting followers by and large will not be local residents.

Perhaps a consultation about a possible speedway track with people who live near the proposed venue could avoid problems further along the way.

Like I said in my response to you...when buying a house, due diligence is needed if there is a possibility that land near you can be sold on for development...whether it be Housing, Supermarket or Speedway etc.

Motorcycle 'noise' for a couple hours...or a Supermarket for 24/7 'noise' ?

Plus in this instance...many of the local residence might have been Cradley fans in the past and welcome their team back.

I'm sure all the local consultations will take place, as it would with any new development.

From what I can see from photographs on social media, this can only be a good thing for the community.

Like someone else noted...the new Belle Vue stadium is close to housing...perhaps forward thinking councils are now seeing the error of their ways in the past.

In all seriousness...if you had a property next to land that could be developed...what would you prefer as a non speedway fan? A supermarket, more housing...or a speedway track operated once a week for 6 months? I know which I'd prefer.

• Like 1

You will always get some residents complaining.I have mentioned on here before that a local sports club ran into problems when they laid down an all weather football surface so that local youngsters had somewhere to play all year round.Some complained at the noise and so the times people were allowed to play were restricted.Now these are probably the same people who would complain that kids are hanging around the streets...

The important thing to take into account is that some people will complain about anything and weigh up that with the importance of the benefit to the community of a new sport/team in the area.The noise problem,we know are greatly reduced in modern speedway.That has to be an important issue as probably any complainers have no experience of the sport and will be going on cliches of dirty noisy motorbikes and riders

• Like 3

You will always get some residents complaining.I have mentioned on here before that a local sports club ran into problems when they laid down an all weather football surface so that local youngsters had somewhere to play all year round.Some complained at the noise and so the times people were allowed to play were restricted.Now these are probably the same people who would complain that kids are hanging around the streets... The important thing to take into account is that some people will complain about anything and weigh up that with the importance of the benefit to the community of a new sport/team in the area.The noise problem,we know are greatly reduced in modern speedway.That has to be an important issue as probably any complainers have no experience of the sport and will be going on cliches of dirty noisy motorbikes and riders

The amount of non speedway folk I have spoken too, often seem to think that Speedway is related to motorcycle gangs lol

It's just educating them and showing them the positives or the alternatives they could be facing.

• Like 1

Just taken a look on Google Earth at the proposed site and what an outstanding location! For those unfamiliar with Oldbury it's right by junction 3 of the M5 motorway where it meets the main road between Birmingham and Wolverhampton, the A4123 Birmingham New Road.

Once more, good luck. It'll be a good deal easier for visitors to find than Dudley Wood.

When Leicester Lions were reborn in Beaumont Part, as well as the planning for speedway, wasn't there plans for other amenities for the community?

What is its present state as I hope all goes well for this proposal for speedway & the community.

Just taken a look on Google Earth at the proposed site and what an outstanding location! For those unfamiliar with Oldbury it's right by junction 3 of the M5 motorway where it meets the main road between Birmingham and Wolverhampton, the A4123 Birmingham New Road.

Once more, good luck. It'll be a good deal easier for visitors to find than Dudley Wood.

it's junction 2

The amount of non speedway folk I have spoken too, often seem to think that Speedway is related to motorcycle gangs lol

It's just educating them and showing them the positives or the alternatives they could be facing.

Wonder whether it is worthwhile to offer a night out at Wolverhampton speedway to any local objectors?Put on(probably) a mini bus and a free night out so that some of the locals who don't know the sport that well can see it for themselves.Cost a few hundred pounds but it might be money well invested?

There are some great posts on here, and i thank you all, every suggestion will be taken on board and investigated to see if we can work with whatever has been suggested.

it's junction 2

Yes Dean it is Junction 2, but i have to check whether or not its Jct 2 or 3, and i must have used it hundreds of times over the years.

I have to say its nice to read the positive comments on here; We (HSST) are planning to hold a Public meeting on Lion Farm Estate where the late great Dan McCormick,s son Barry will Chair the meeting, Barry is a very good speaker in Public, a little bit of his dads gift wore off onto Barry.

Gypsys!! The site has been used by illegal Gypsies over the years, indeed their was one occasion when i went over to the site that one such person aimed his 4x4 at me, and only swerved away from me at the last moment laughing his head off as i jumped out of the way.

Had another very positive meeting with some local Councillors again today, their final words were "dont be shy come and see us again" i told them i needed to go as we were at The "Old Hill" show, an hour or so later one of those Councillors turned up at our display, and had her Pic taken on a Speedway Bike, and verbally told our Chairman and myself that she supported our proposals, she has no choice her daughter supports us Hahaha.

it's junction 2

Apologies, a truly appalling error.

it's junction 2

Apologies, a truly appalling error.

You were only one off :)

You were only one off :)

Sums up my life.

• Like 2

As a Heathen and not far from the site I'm desperate this happens however with the state the sports in it would be typical when we get back there's no body to ride against

• Like 1

As a Heathen and not far from the site I'm desperate this happens however with the state the sports in it would be typical when we get back there's no body to ride against

There'll always be some kind of speedway running, as the NL proves. As you know, it offers a safe, low-cost alternative to dealing with primadonna riders.

It's the top level tracks I'd worry about, to be honest...

• Like 1

Good luck to these latest plans to build a new track for one if not the best supported team in the Country!

I'm sure a properly thought out and run Cradley speedway track would be successful!

I understand completely where you are coming from..