British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Woffy Vs Rosco

THE relevant part of a long article in the Sunday Times:

"It all came to a head in a Danish kebab shop on the evening before the 2015 (SWC) race-off. It's set-up to fail and I don't want any part of it.

The Danes drove 45 km to find good food. We went to a kebab shop and our guys were stuffing themselves with pizza while I had a salad. There are no fitness camps, no dietician and no pre-season races.

"Give me Team Great Britain. I will turn it into a profitable company. I'll put all the money back into the sport and I will give it back after five years. In the fourth or fifth year we will win the World Cup. I can make the sport massive. I've had discussions with lawyers, with accountants with bankers and I'm absolutely ready to go. They've had a meeting but I haven't heard anything back."

Draw your own conclusions...

"It all came to a head in a Danish kebab shop on the evening before the 2015 (SWC) race-off. It's set-up to fail and I don't want any part of it.

The Danes drove 45 km to find good food. We went to a kebab shop and our guys were stuffing themselves with pizza while I had a salad. There are no fitness camps, no dietician and no pre-season races.

"Give me Team Great Britain. I will turn it into a profitable company. I'll put all the money back into the sport and I will give it back after five years. In the fourth or fifth year we will win the World Cup. I can make the sport massive. I've had discussions with lawyers, with accountants with bankers and I'm absolutely ready to go. They've had a meeting but I haven't heard anything back."

I would go with Woffy At the moment the sport is at a low ebb. We have nothing to lose and a lot to gain. Someone has to be brave to make that decision and not look for self interest only. Doubtful it will happen as the sport is run by numptys.

What the quotes do say without any doubt is that Tai wants to support GB speedway and make it better. Lets get behind him.

• Like 2

cant stand the bloke but as I see it we are at rock bottom and have nothing left to lose so might as well let him have a go , his idea of speedway isn't the sport I was brought up with but maybe he can make speedway into a F1 type of sport he desires which I have no interest in, I'm getting to the point of past caring now Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

Gone off Woffinden over the last few years as has acted a nob at times, but as I said in the SWC thread, if it's a choice of him or Rossiter it's not worth debating. Rosco should do the right thing and resign.

Give Woffinden the responsibility on the provision he rides in British Semi/Final and any other events he's required for. No more crap about not having engines or a base over here so can't be bothered.

The SWC final was embarrassing, we are 6/7th in the world realistically & it can't get much lower. The BSPA and Rosco aren't going to improve the fortunes running it.

Some fitness bloke from the local gym that Rosco knows popping up in the pictures and running around with the side won't make any difference.

Woffinden will have the money & backing to make a difference. Give him a go.

• Like 4

VERY enlightening interview with Tai in the Sunday Times today. Throws light on his attitude towards riding for Team GB.

Nothing new actually. He claims that Speedway is the national sport in Poland, I thought Football had more clubs and bigger crowds? I still can't understand why staying away helps his claimed desire to make Team GB SWC winners, surely he would exert more influence by joining in and that might eventually lead to him being in charge? At the moment he's creating division in every aspect of the sport, while he plays intimidation games and boasts about his wealth and personal circumstances. It is undeniable that he cares but ........

As a strength and conditioning coach, the fitness/diet debate is of great interest to me.

It's clear to me that the Poles have a level of discipline way above ours.

If you watch the Poles and the way they manoeuvre themselves round the corners, it's incredible. That takes considerable core strength believe me.

Diet is clearly important as well to keep a riders weight down.

I love Chris Harris and his duel with Dudek in the SWC was a glimpse of the rider who was mixing it some years ago.

I just thought it a shame he isn't slightly fitter as I firmly believe he could have turned some of those 2nd / 3rd places to 1sts.

Most importantly if you live like an athlete, you will feel like an athlete and perform like one.

Eating kebabs and burgers screams amateur hour for me.

• Like 4

As a strength and conditioning coach, the fitness/diet debate is of great interest to me.

If you watch the Poles and the way they manoeuvre themselves round the corners, it's incredible. That takes considerable core strength believe me.

I love Chris Harris and his duel with Dudek in the SWC was a glimpse of the rider who was mixing it some years ago.

I just thought it a shame he isn't slightly fitter as I firmly believe he could have turned some of those 2nd / 3rd places to 1sts.

Most importantly if you live like an athlete, you will feel like an athlete and perform like one.

Chris could have scored more by being more aggressive but his sense of fair play isn't shared by many other SWC riders, it certainly made the Wolves/Rye House match worth watching though. The difference between a medal or no medal was that two riders only managed one point each and those two have done better in the past and will hopefully do better in the future, whatever regime is in charge.

Chris could have scored more by being more aggressive but his sense of fair play isn't shared by many other SWC riders, it certainly made the Wolves/Rye House match worth watching though. The difference between a medal or no medal was that two riders only managed one point each and those two have done better in the past and will hopefully do better in the future, whatever regime is in charge.

I think of all the British riders, Chris actually has the closest style to that of a Polish rider. Very strong at holding off challenges etc.

Chris looks a naturally stocky fellow (not fat) so perhaps it's hard to shed the necessary weight.

As for fair play, it's what us Brits do!

In the modern era, attitudes such as Tai's and Lewis Hamilton win titles.

• Like 2

So many seem to see Woffinden in a less than favourable light...

Therefore letting him run Team GB means if he fails the same people can get on his back even more....

For them, what's not to like?

The Sport (in this Country) in its current guise, is going down the toilet after years of inept administration, leadership and vision....

Why not let someone run at least part of it who is big enough to put their money and time where their mouth is..?

It's knackered anyway so got to be worth a go...

Edit: Read an article recently about Mens Tennis in this country and how several have improved their ranking considerably over the past two or three years.

Many within the game don't put it down to anything the authorities have delivered through inept training and development plans but more simply down to them seeing what Andy Murray did at close quarters..

They had a clear role model as to what you needed to do re the dedication to put in the hours to train, the sacrifice needed to become No1 in the World and the single minded determination to succeed at the highest level....

Maybe tapping into Woffindens similar traits wouldn't be a bad idea..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Showing my age now but does anyone remember the Speedway Documentary that primarily followed Havvy & Martin Dugard in the 1993 season? It finished with the World Team Cup Final at Coventry at which a strong GB team got destroyed and finished last. What was refreshing watching that was all the riders were embarrassed, held their hands up said it wasnt good enough. The team Managers bollocked the riders, they moaned the track was slick, but essentially there was no excuses. It concluded with Havvy walking out the stadium saying we're too used to loosing, we need to back the winners all the way.

We need more of that. This is supposed to be a National team representing a professional sport. Poland aside, This GB team was as good as any other SWC team on their day man for man. None of the other squads were that strong. But we were doomed to fail from the start. Given an easy ride to the final and then went to Lezno all smiles and mates together but as soon as it was game time reality set in. Watch Cookie's interview pre meeting, dear in head lights springs to mind. As Nick mentioned above, we are clearly not in the same physical shape as the Pols and Mentally, light years away. Some here raving about Bomber and Stevie Worrall's performances, yes they gave it a go, but they scored 7 out of a possible 18 and 6 out of a possible 15. Thats a sad reality. Few here saying we were close to a medal. Im sorry but we were MILES behind the winners. I see nothing to be pleased about. Something needs to change drastically. We are always behind the 8 ball in these international meetings. What do we have to lose changing it all up?

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 2

Showing my age now but does anyone remember the Speedway Documentary that primarily followed Havvy & Martin Dugard in the 1993 season? It finished with the World Team Cup Final at Coventry at which a strong GB team got destroyed and finished last. What was refreshing watching that was all the riders were embarrassed, held their hands up said it wasnt good enough. The team Managers bollocked the riders, they moaned the track was slick, but essentially there was no excuses. It concluded with Havvy walking out the stadium saying we're too used to loosing, we need to back the winners all the way.

We need more of that. This is supposed to be a National team representing a professional sport. Poland aside, This GB team was as good as any other SWC team on their day man for man. None of the other squads were that strong. But we were doomed to fail from the start. Given an easy ride to the final and then went to Lezno all smiles and mates together but as soon as it was game time reality set in. Watch Cookie's interview pre meeting, dear in head lights springs to mind. As Nick mentioned above, we are clearly not in the same physical shape as the Pols and Mentally, light years away. Some here raving about Bomber and Stevie Worrall's performances, yes they gave it a go, but they scored 7 out of a possible 18 and 6 out of a possible 15. Thats a sad reality. Few here saying we were close to a medal. Im sorry but we were MILES behind the winners. I see nothing to be pleased about. Something needs to change drastically. We are always behind the 8 ball in these international meetings. What do we have to lose changing it all up?

I remember that documentary well mate.

Re-watched it on YouTube recently as well.

Boocock was really laying into them!

Kelvin made me laugh as even in his frustrated mood was still so eloquent and polite!

Yes and he was playing up for the cameras even back then!

I will give you darcy ward before his accident
  • Like 1

I will give you darcy ward before his accident

Not being a d1ck but do you mean he was so good diet meant nothing or the accident came about because of poor diet/fitness?

" it all came to a head in a Danish kebab shop on the evening before the 2015 (SWC) race off. Its set up to fail and I don't want any part of it "

Would this be the same rider that rode in the ( SWC ) Final in Manchester 12 months later.

• Like 1