Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waco

Lakeside V Buxton Frid 14th July 8pms

Afternoon meetings are usually terrible, has to be an evening in my opinion.

Sunday evening?

One man and his dog at lakeside on Friday, heaving at rye last night. The impact of these two clubs changing leagues has been a killer for the hammers.

• Like 2

Although the change of leagues is partly due to the movement of crowds from Lakeside to Rye House, another reason IMO is that

both clubs run spasmodically and have lost people as a result. Rye are in the "Honeymoon" period of top league racing so are getting

away with murder at present, but that will not last. If Lakeside were able to run consecutive weeks on the same day each week, I am

certain that their attendance figures would improve, especially if they were seen to be giving opportunities to local born riders. Most

fans like to associate closely with their "Own" riders and in days gone by this local theme was in evidence at most tracks as was a

weekly meeting. Not enough clubs pay attention to running every week and I think that the few who do, benefit from it.

• Like 2

There is so much doubling up/down that "own" riders no longer exist for the most part.

I agree though, that it would attract more fans if teams were made up of riders who only rode for someone else via a rare guest appearance than all and sundry.

One man and his dog at lakeside on Friday, heaving at rye last night. The impact of these two clubs changing leagues has been a killer for the hammers.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. We'll have to see how it pans out in the long run. Rye House are getting big crowds but have an expensive team to pay for. Lakeside have smaller crowds but their meetings are much cheaper to put on. Only those who see the accounts know how things are going financially.

Lakeside have still have their EL / Premier licence for the time being which means they can keep their assets for now. This means that if we move towards one larger league next year ( which seems to be the way things are going) it would be very easy for Lakeside to slip back into the new league.

If, as seems to be the case we are looking at a bigger league next without the really top (I.e expensive ) stars Lakeside could quite easily slip back with a team based around assets like Kim Nilsson, Zach Wajnecht, Adam Ellis and Stuart Robson. Lewis Bridger and Ed Kennett and Lewi Kerr would very likely want to come back ( these are just examples ), so a team could easily be put together.

We don't know of course, and this is a very unpredictable sport but I don't think the crowd level overall are going to spell the end of the club even though the Hitmen didn't pull many in. One big league with local derbies against Rye, Ipswich, and possibly Eastbourne and /or Kent would certainly be good financially for all of those clubs, so we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

I can't say I am enamoured with NL racing though and I think a lot of fans will be lost next year if their are not changes to the set up

• Like 1

All of the lakeside regulars I know, have stopped going because of the drop to the NL. The staggered fixture list is no different to last year's EL campaign. I have always watched speedway at all levels, so it makes no difference to me.

I bet the landlords at Arena still want whatever they have charged in the past for their pitiful stadium.

I heard the food and merchandise outlets were being charged EL rent for NL crowds. If this is true, it's no suprise that some of them don't bother opening.

I've been told by more than one of the vendors that they are suffering badly revenue wise this year. Rather a worry going forward I think.

We must all hope that Jon Cook doesn't get cold feet and drop out. Not sure what the financial arrangement is with Stuart Douglas these days, but he

is still listed as a promoter. Does anyone know the outlook for the new stadium that has been promised several times ? No news about that for a while.

Rye House had a good crowd but it was about half what I saw there at the start of the season. Lakeside would have been affected by the traffic and the opposition.