British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gmuncie

Championship Fours 06/08 Peterborough

If they hadn’t won I could understand the point that Peterborough had cheated the public and their own fans, but the idea they cheated to gain a sporting advantage? No.

There is very little to validate the claim that Simon Lambert might have scored more than Jack Holder – one has an average touching 9.00 the other one touching 3.00 it is quite clear which of the two consistently scores the more points.

Well done to the riders who went on track and represented Peterborough to win the meeting with their patched up side is an excellent effort.

And finally, I don’t know who riders aim their tweets at when they vent their views in relation to the sport and how it is run. I don’t believe it garners sympathy with the paying public, if anything it only creates a further void between the fans and the riders. BSPA. It is actually possible fans are p*ssed of the attitude of the BSPA who run the sport and many riders, who have an attitude that at times is quite loathsome, the best advice for a few of them would be to shut up and get on with it, or chose another profession if it is that much of a problem to them to be drain a wage out the sport.

Peterborough certainly did cheat the paying public.

There speaks a man who wasn't there. Being wise in hindsight admittedly, but I doubt if there is a single one of the 3,000 or so who attended who felt cheated.

I suspect your right but this was £200 for the whole meeting.

The track was slicker than usual but Peterborough were not allowed to rip up the outside because track prep was under the control of the BSPA, having said that the racing in the final was top drawer.

That was the first time since 1998 that Peterborough have won the Fours in this competition, admittedly we have staged it a few times when not having a team entered.

You're right but I am wondering how much Cook (or anyone else) thinks he should have been paid for 2 rides and 1 point. Rory Schlein has more of a case.

Personally, I really couldn't care less what the track was like with racing of that quality. It was amazing.

Blows a bit of a hole in the home advantage argument, that.

It occurs to me that Peterborough could have named Holder in their team and left Lambert at reserve, Lambert then just taking Holder's rides. The result would have been exactly the same.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Actually, he probably can. Saturday nights are notorious these days to get replacements in the Premiership - they were when it was the Elite League.

What Rathbone has done is completely sell out. I hope he enjoys the money Torun have given him, that's even if he receives any at all.

If you think this is all over, you're wrong. It's given the Poles carte blanche to do what they like. And they will.

More worrying that Rathbone has been called supremo twice over the weekend, it's a slippery slope!

The gloves are off anyway before it's all forgotten with some wishy washy press release.

Peterborough Panthers’ silverware success yesterday (August 6) was achieved against a backdrop of acrimony as the Panthers supremo :D came under fire from the sport’s own governing body for giving his star talent – Jack Holder – permission to miss the meeting to race in Poland.

British Speedway Promoters’ Association (BSPA) chairman Buster Chapman issued a strongly-worded rant on the subject :D

Read more here

Edited by Crump99

What happened with Cook then? Did someone give him a whack or what?

Bomber was different class today on a racers track... hats off

Surely he should be. He was a full time GP rider up to last year!!

Where has this £10k figure come from?

Absolute nonsense.

Maybe if other clubs developed riders like Peterborough then they may earn incentives from Torun.

Torun would rather field a donkey than sign any Ipswich rider.

Ipswich need to raise their game.

What's Ipswich got to do with it?

The crux of the matter is that Peterborough have developed Jack Holder into a rider that's simply too good for the 2nd tier of British Speedway.

Anybody who scores paid 16 at Leszno shouldn't be riding in the Championship.

Thankfully he is and we need to enjoy every single minute we catch of him, he's a future world champion.

Peterborough have 2 riders to good for this level............but your still only 6th...........your management are shocking at team building as proved by the number of changes you make

Peterborough have 2 riders to good for this level............but your still only 6th...........your management are shocking at team building as proved by the number of changes you make

We'll win more than Ipswich this season.

Where has this £10k figure come from?

Absolute nonsense.

Maybe if other clubs developed riders like Peterborough then they may earn incentives from Torun.

Torun would rather field a donkey than sign any Ipswich rider.

Ipswich need to raise their game.

Struggling to think of anyone since Ryan Sullivan and Simon Stead that Peterborough have developed???

Why bring Ipswich into it? The club that brought along 4 top British riders in Chris Louis , Mark Loram, Danny King and Scott Nicholls. As well as other stars over the years, Rickardsson, Doncaster, Sigalos, Sanders, Davey.

I could go on and on little boy.

Im lost why Ipswich need to raise their game, currently in the play offs again while your team are struggling in mid table. Then again this season you havent used your quota of 24 riders.

Now i know the school holidays end early September have we really got to put up with your crap until then

I thoroughly enjoyed another entertaining fours featuring some brilliant races, especially in the final, and must congratulate the majority of riders for putting on such a show. Credit also to the Panther's promotion for providing a track that allowed them to do it over 32 heats on a warm and windy afternoon - no easy task.

I believe the fours is nearly always a great days racing because the track at Peterborough encourages it, and because , with the top four of each side, each race has four riders of a similar standard, with any one of them capable of winning it. Surely always the best recipe for great racing.

However, I am concerned that if we are not careful, that formula is at risk.

Last year's hugely entertaining weekend saw the first dangerous signs when certain riders opted out of riding on the Sunday due to the flat rate payment on offer. The replacements were not of the same standard.

Clearly some of the better riders are not happy riding for a flat rate £200 when they might have five rides. Possibly one or two of those missing with injuries might have ridden had there been league points/money available. On the other hand, £200 for just two rides.....

Perhaps the BSPA should pay more for those who reach the final stages?

Some find it wrong that riders like Kennett last year, Cook and Schlein complain, but they are the guys expected to entertain - and usually do.

Do we want this top event going ahead in future years without the top guys just because of penny pinching by the powers that be? The BSPA need to get the revenues right, and then pay a sensible rate to ensure all of the riders WANT to give of their best on the day.

Yesterday we were privileged to witness superb racing throughout in my opinion from Harris, Ostergaard, Wright and Howarth, with special races from Ben Barker, Ellis Perks and Aaron Summers, Cameron Heeps, Rory Schlein, Josh Grajczonek, Kevin Doolan and Jake Allen to mention just a few.

I want to see similar in future, with all the top boys giving their all. It needs to be sorted now before it is too late.

We'll win more than Ipswich this season.

By breaking the rules in the fours.

Certainly wont be the league!!!!!

And surely with future World Champ Holder and Harris you should walk the pairs!!!!

I had an absolute ball yesterday , okay my poor wallet tells me i had too many £4-50 pints , but it's all part of the fun . I understand folk getting all uppity and moaning about home track advantage , maybe that does play a part in these things , but who cares - what a track it is . I cant think of anywhere else i'd rather have the fours to be , completly worth getting back home at 4 in the morning having been there and enjoyed the day .

Did i feel cheated by all the withdrawels ? did i heck . Great racing , great company , ok over-priced beer , but once again a great and enjoyable day out at the fours - thank you Peterborough and well done on your deserved victory .

• Like 6

I had an absolute ball yesterday , okay my poor wallet tells me i had too many £4-50 pints , but it's all part of the fun . I understand folk getting all uppity and moaning about home track advantage , maybe that does play a part in these things , but who cares - what a track it is . I cant think of anywhere else i'd rather have the fours to be , completly worth getting back home at 4 in the morning having been there and enjoyed the day .

Did i feel cheated by all the withdrawels ? did i heck . Great racing , great company , ok over-priced beer , but once again a great and enjoyable day out at the fours - thank you Peterborough and well done on your deserved victory .

Your right about the track always produces great racing.

Your right about the track always produces great racing.

The semi's weren't that wonderful , but the final more than made up for it . It's a match made in heaven for the speedway enthusiast , the Peterborough track and Chris Harris .

• Like 3