British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Berwick V Glasgow Cl Sat July 15th At 7pm

I never thought I'd see the day a certain poster woke up and smelt the coffee about the jokers that run this sport 👏🏻.

Good to see a certain other poster was fully behind the decision to abandon 😂

I actually feel sorry for the guys trying to put on a show, who get stuffed by many - but not all- of the riders.

• Like 2

See on Bandits website not much about last nights meeting but apparently it had everything EXCEPT 15

See on Bandits website not much about last nights meeting but apparently it had everything EXCEPT 15

In hindsight maybe the track had got a bit greasy , the times had drifted into the 70's in the latter heats , maybe both team managers were happy just to call it a draw .

Suppose the scoreline after heat 14 made the decision easy , had either side been 2 points behind , the decision might have been different .

Edited by Paulco
  • Like 1

see your point mate but the riders made the decision and we need to respect it. Track looked very slippy apart from riding close to fence Whether we like it or not they risk their necks and who are we to argue We didn't like it but folks saying they won't be back is a bit much. Given Berwick record in last heat ones this probably went in their favour !

Having heard David Howe speaking on a few occasions he's about as honest as they come, if he reckons the track was dodgy it probably was. Disappointing way to end the night sure, but understandable when you hear that.

I`m afraid I still haven't changed my opinion from last night but I except what David Howe was saying, as ever he did speak well when trying to put the case for the abandonment. Biggest problem I have is that we watched three or four heats in the rain shower of which the last of those finished around 8-50pm, even with our curfew that gave the track team thirty minutes minimum to get the track something like raceable, sadly there was zero effort in that direction and a total disregard for the paying customers in the stands . The weather had gone in fact as I left the car park the sun had come out again so the track wouldn't have got worse only better and even if after the track work the meeting was abandoned at least there had been a bit of effort put in. The dirt was pilled indeed up against the fence but surely we have the equipment to move the dirt back down.

• Like 2

I`m afraid I still haven't changed my opinion from last night but I except what David Howe was saying, as ever he did speak well when trying to put the case for the abandonment. Biggest problem I have is that we watched three or four heats in the rain shower of which the last of those finished around 8-50pm, even with our curfew that gave the track team thirty minutes minimum to get the track something like raceable, sadly there was zero effort in that direction and a total disregard for the paying customers in the stands . The weather had gone in fact as I left the car park the sun had come out again so the track wouldn't have got worse only better and even if after the track work the meeting was abandoned at least there had been a bit of effort put in. The dirt was pilled indeed up against the fence but surely we have the equipment to move the dirt back down.

You talk lot sense but looks like rider power dictated it in this case. Whatever the rights wrongs it gone and we can't change it sadly Edited by Barnstormer

Wouldnt the dirt piled up against the fence have been saturated and likely to have caused more problems than it solved if dragged back down??

• Like 1

I just find it hard to see it as a competitive sport after that.

Normally you'd expect both teams wanting to go out for a win.

Speedway so often seems to be exceptional in this case.

Had their adrenaline rush, got their money. They're happy.

• Like 1

Wouldnt the dirt piled up against the fence have been saturated and likely to have caused more problems than it solved if dragged back down??

Maybe, maybe not, but it would've been nice to have at least tried.

• Like 2

I just find it hard to see it as a competitive sport after that.

Normally you'd expect both teams wanting to go out for a win.

Speedway so often seems to be exceptional in this case.

Had their adrenaline rush, got their money. They're happy.

wasnt there so obviously i dont know the conditions

i agree with the above post but we also dont want to see any injured

to often now riders are getting meetings called of when fans are enjoying some of the best speedway theyve seen recently

Don't know about track covers! Looks like it's covered STADIUMS is the only way to gaurantee 15 Hts these days,even then the riders would probably find something wrong with the track!!!!

This highlights why many Promotions don't bother with track covers,because unless the weather is 100% gaurenteed to clear up the meeting might not go ahead anyway.The fans are certainly being "short changed " too easily these days.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 3

Your point about why apparently no effort was made to carry out remedial work on the track after ht14, given the improving weather conditions, at least deserves a public explanation from the Berwick Promotion.

If no public statement is forthcoming from Bandits by midweek, may I suggest you raise the matter directly with them.

Berwick now saying the ref called it , well that wasn't said last nite they said the riders called it for safety reasons ?

Not sure about that, watching track being bladed after meeting the shale against fence looked quite dry.

Berwick now saying the ref called it , well that wasn't said last nite they said the riders called it for safety reasons ?

Riders have no power to cancel meetings , referee has the final say.