British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions Vs Swindon Robins 17/07/17

Wolves won at Swindon in the 90's with 4 riders for quite a bit of the match- Wolves employed a guest team manager that night. In the Wolves programme the following week i do believe that Messrs Van Straaten and Adams were overjoyed at the victory in those circumstances

Edited by racers and royals

Wolves won at Swindon in the 90's with 4 riders for quite a bit of the match- Wolves employed a guest team manager that night. In the Wolves programme the following week i do believe that Messrs Van Strattern and Adams were overjoyed at the victory in those circumstances

I'm guessing that's when Uncle Tim took over and pretty much won the match for them.

I'm guessing that's when Uncle Tim took over and pretty much won the match for them.

What kind words- i do remember dear old Malc Holloway was team manager for the Robins. It would be great if the details of the match could be posted !!!
  • Like 1

What kind words- i do remember dear old Malc Holloway was team manager for the Robins. It would be great if the details of the match could be posted !!!

I don't have them personally. You could always post a topic in Years Gone By. It's amazing what old details people sometimes come up with in there when asked!

No, a team manager who put a reserve in heat 8 allowing you to go 10 up and into TR territory. Should have left him out of that one, only been 6 up, no TR and then the reserve goes in heat 14. Then failed to tell your reserve in heat 9 to fit behind the Swindon rider so you were only 9 up, meaning no TR in heat 10.

Your team manager was totally inept tonight.

I had the impression that Bjerre was instructed to finish second but decided to ignore it. He can be like that. Probably Morris had been given the same instruction. It would have turned into a farce with both of them trying to lose - reminds me of a boxing match in an episode of Porridge

• Like 1

First time i have seen a Leicester meeting ,thanks to youtube

My thoughts.Not such a great meeting as some were going on about.That is what made me watch in the first place.The last heat was super though

As for Riss being excluded,i think it was unfair.Morris seemed to ride the same line in two different heats and in one it was a great pass by Danny King squeezing round him.Didn't like that move going to the lne by Bjerre.For me he should have been excluded

I had the impression that Bjerre was instructed to finish second but decided to ignore it. He can be like that. Probably Morris had been given the same instruction. It would have turned into a farce with both of them trying to lose - reminds me of a boxing match in an episode of Porridge

If Bjerre had finished 2nd in that race,Leicester would still have lost by a point.

Gustrow,,,, now that is a technically superb flat out racing track. Best in the world.

But a unique surface that suits the layout.

Wolves won at Swindon in the 90's with 4 riders for quite a bit of the match- Wolves employed a guest team manager that night. In the Wolves programme the following week i do believe that Messrs Van Straaten and Adams were overjoyed at the victory in those circumstances

I think it was actually 5 riders. We stated the match using rider replacement, and then lost Wayne Carter in heat 1. It was a fantastic performance by Tim Sugar. Even though Carter was injured he still had to 'have' 3 rides under the then rules. I think a reserve was used to cover 1 of carters rides but he still had 1 ride left and a bunch of us very seasoned Wolves fans just could not figure where his last ride was going to be. Then the light-bulb moment, he gave Carter a rider replacement ride! Genius. :D

Excluding Riss was one of the worst Refs decisions ive seen.Riss didnt have a clue what rider was where,he was just racing flat out for the win.To say he was at fault for his team mates crash is just stupid,how the hell can he be the cause of the crash is just crazy,The rider behind was just in the wrong place at the wrong time,just unlucky that riss took the line he did,he was in front,he didnt have a clue which rider is where.

• Like 1

Never forgot the Wayne Carter crash think he ended up in the car park

• Like 1

I think it was actually 5 riders. We stated the match using rider replacement, and then lost Wayne Carter in heat 1. It was a fantastic performance by Tim Sugar. Even though Carter was injured he still had to 'have' 3 rides under the then rules. I think a reserve was used to cover 1 of carters rides but he still had 1 ride left and a bunch of us very seasoned Wolves fans just could not figure where his last ride was going to be. Then the light-bulb moment, he gave Carter a rider replacement ride! Genius. :D

Pretty sure some one else got injured before the end- what year was it ?

Never forgot the Wayne Carter crash think he ended up in the car park

It did look horrendous. I recall Carter hanging, almost as if crucified, wrapped up in the second bend fence. Tim Sugar did an inspired job to manage Wolves to victory.

I remember Berwick using r/r and then losing both reserves in Heat 2 against Rye House a few years ago but the four remaining Berwick riders who included Nick Morris as a teenage guest won by ten points despite having only one rider in half the heats!

It did look horrendous. I recall Carter hanging, almost as if crucified, wrapped up in the second bend fence. Tim Sugar did an inspired job to manage Wolves to victory.

Horrific crash. Carter clipped Gary Chessell when he fell and basically rode straight into the fence and ended up slumped on his bike wrapped in the wire meshing - so lucky to miss the uprights.

• Like 1