British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions Vs Swindon Robins 17/07/17

What I've noticed over recent years, is that riders have become accustomed to riding and racing their bikes in a certain way, and don't particularly adapt very well to different conditions and shapes like they used to be able to do in the past.

I look at Riders like Doyle and Holder for example...who imo, are great riders when it suits them. But they get found out when it's not to their liking.

Same can be said of other 'Greats' in other sports...some prefer certain race circuits in F1 and Moto GP. Some Tennis players prefer and play better on different surfaces. Certain Golfers like American 'Park like' courses but can't play in the wind and layout of a Links course etc.

From witnessing last nights racing...it became apparent that there was one racing line. If you tried to go out wide and stay in the dirt the whole time, you got into a lot of trouble or hit traffic in front of you that was locking up and leaving no space. The only time it looked like someone had achieved it was when BWD almost took Reiss around the outside, only to get elbowed out the way lol

For me, a great rider, is one that can ride in all conditions, on all shapes of tracks and can adapt. They might not become World Champions...but they are very often the unsung hero's of Speedway.

Mark Loram, Chris Morton, Chris Harris come to mind. Even Andrew Silver....most never had the best set up's, but boy could they ride all tracks and conditions. For me...that makes a great ;-)

While there is a lot of truth in that, I also subscribe to the Kelvin Tatum theory that today's combination of tyres, silencers and engines, makes the bikes unnecessarily unpredictable and thus, too dangerous. There simply aren't enough riders able to handle differing conditions, with the equipment that they are expected to use.

• Like 1

I can't agree with your assessment of Doyle at all.

Sure he will whinge when he feels a track is unsafe, but he can ride them all fine. I don't think he's been 'found out' very often over the last couple of years!

• Like 6

The problem isn't with the tracks, it's the damn bikes, when oh when will something be done so that the sport can be returned to one where throttle control wins over pure give it everything, hold on and hope.

Dont change the tracks to the point we are racing on concrete, change the flipping bikes, upright engines, better silencers etc

• Like 2

But on the flip side.....how hard is it to produce a smooth and consistent track? We all know what the bikes are like these days, we can kick and scream as much as we like, but they're not going to change any time soon, especially going back to the "louder" silencers. We still see plenty of good racing these days, its not like the bikes have completely neutered the racing. Yet we still get tracks purposely prepared half like concrete, half like a ploughed field.

I can't agree with your assessment of Doyle at all.

Sure he will whinge when he feels a track is unsafe, but he can ride them all fine. I don't think he's been 'found out' very often over the last couple of years!

Whilst I agree Doyle is a fine rider...I put him in the same category as I do Rory Mcilroy in Golf. Great...when conditions suit them.

I'm yet to be convinced on Doyle always using the 'track unsafe' vote. I think imo, he's used that 'theory' when a track hasn't suited him. Often when he has said this, other riders have proved him wrong, and the track is raceable....Some riders can adapt better than others. Some whinge more than others, especially when it doesn't suit their them or their set up on the day.

As he said in a recent interview...'sometimes you have to lie when the situation doesn't suit you'...or words to that affect.

I think he and others pull the 'unsafe' theory way too much, especially when conditions don't suit them.

• Like 1

Great meeting with some good races and a grandstand finish, fans can't ask for more.

I feel for Leicester, they gave it their all but were unlucky to lose their new Pole, his 1st ride he looked like a real novice, didn't take him long to sus out the racing line though, as he was 100% better in his second ride. But credit where it's due, Swindon kept it close and did what they had to do to nick a good win in the last 4 heats.

• Like 1

Pawel is back home in Poland and having an op this afternoon to plate the break then hopes to be back racing in 2-3 weeks.

No messing around over there his DR had the results last night and being taken straight from airport to hospital to have surgery

• Like 1

Whilst I agree Doyle is a fine rider...I put him in the same category as I do Rory Mcilroy in Golf. Great...when conditions suit them.

I'm yet to be convinced on Doyle always using the 'track unsafe' vote. I think imo, he's used that 'theory' when a track hasn't suited him. Often when he has said this, other riders have proved him wrong, and the track is raceable....Some riders can adapt better than others. Some whinge more than others, especially when it doesn't suit their them or their set up on the day.

As he said in a recent interview...'sometimes you have to lie when the situation doesn't suit you'...or words to that affect.

I think he and others pull the 'unsafe' theory way too much, especially when conditions don't suit them.

So name these meetings where Doyle has been found wanting due to 'track conditions' or when a track hasn't suited him?

He's right up the top of the league averages, right up the top of the GP standings. That suggests he has far less poor meetings than any other rider.

Now Holder, the current version, I would agree with. Before his injury, the Ward incident etc it was a different story. Now, mentally, he is very fragile.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 4

This meeting was very eventful to say the least - firstly though I hope Pawel Przedpelski is ok after a very heavy crash in heat 9 and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Having seen the replay of the incident today I don't think it was Riss's fault I don't think he was fully aware of where his teamate was - Przedpelski was trying an audacius sweep round the fence which would have been very spectacular had it come off. I have to say though the track surface at that end of the circuit had been very heavily watered and there was a lot of dirt - it resembled a waterlogged ploughed field in some places. I know it was hot and dry last night but the watering looked as though it may have been a bit over zealous as the shale still looked very damp at the end of the meeting.

You have to feel for the Lions as they had luck against them finishing with only 4 riders. 3 heats with only one rider on track really handed the Robind the initiative but fair play to the Budgies you have to take advantage of any opportunity presented during a meeting and they were in a position to capitalize.

Riss and Bjerre were outstanding for Leicester and didn'tdeserve to be on the losing side.

Batch and Morra both made big contibuitions for Swindon but Tobias came away as the star of the show with a very accomplished performance on a tricky track.

Let's keep this going Robins!!

Edited by Gresham78
  • Like 3

Hats off to the boys to come back from 11 down after 9 heats. Yes Leicester had some bad luck, but the reserves covered themselves with glory.

Difficult night for a few of the boys, but Nick, Troy & especially Tobias were fantastic.

Now Tobias is a fully fledged Robin, lets see him spread his wings and do himself proud.

• Like 3

I really felt for Leicester last night. What terrible luck! Hope all those injured make a swift and full recovery.

Isn't this where you need a Number 8 who can at least take up the rides the reserves can't cover? You never know when a 'gift' point could come up and that is all they were short by.

Fantastic ride by Muesli in last heat.

Great signing by Swindon.

• Like 1

^^ This. Watched at mates house, felt for Leicester they really battled but it just wasn't their night. Swindon won in then but under circrumstances would surley have expected to win by more. Reminded me a bit of when Hull lost by 7 at Wimbledon in 1979 with 5 riders (4 regulars + 1 guest), after 3 infamous no-shows. Plenty of incedents to maintain interest, big shame for the riders who crashed....

Finally bothered to check Hull lost by 5, 41-36, 13 heats in those days....