British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bristol Speedway 2018

Bristol Bulldogs

The Bulldogs will return to the track in 2018 with a series of challenge meetings, after BSPA approved the use of the name. Discussions are under way with 2 potential clubs already. Suitable venues are actively being looked at for the return of the sport to the city. Updates will follow.

• Like 4

Fantastic news my dad introduced me to speedway at Bristol Bulldogs and we used to come home with Panda eyes where we used to get covered in shale!!

• Like 1

I assume this will be in the SDL? Good luck to Bristol, maybe at Swindon's new stadium?

The Bulldogs will return to the track in 2018 with a series of challenge meetings, after BSPA approved the use of the name. Discussions are under way with 2 potential clubs already. Suitable venues are actively being looked at for the return of the sport to the city. Updates will follow.

Is the proposed return of a Bristol team eventually at new venue likely to have any effect on attendances at Somerset and Swindon?

What happened to Andy Hewlett and his attempts? Did he step down?

His ownership of Bristol Speedway as a 'business' finished in 2015.

I'm sure he was involved with the Bristol Council...if anyone was going to get Speedway back to Bristol it was him.

Hopefully things have changed.

Bristol is a very apathetic City. A lovely place to live, full of arts, music, culture etc. However...It's council are very much anti any sport if it infringes on the feelings of anyone. I seriously can't see Speedway in Bristol ever again. It may have a chance in the outer suburbs.

Is the proposed return of a Bristol team eventually at new venue likely to have any effect on attendances at Somerset and Swindon?

Yes...for the better.

There's also similar debate on this topic in YEARS GONE BY at

Bristol Speedway Memories

Thank you for letting me know...however you will notice from that link, I have added numerous posts to that thread.

I'm also not sure how linking both threads will help with further discussion. They both have their place...wouldn't you agree?

May I add...as much as I wish Bristol Speedway to return, it has very little hope imo.

Bristol is a City of culture and Arts. The Council have no interest in Sport. So much has changed in 40 years.

As much as I admire the passion and determination of others who want to bring the sport back, I can only think it's for one reason.

Dig a little deeper and you find out why. I'm not convinced that this will take off. Pipe dream tbh.

Back in 77 the Bulldogs promoters and Bristol Stadium Limited just put two ofingers up to the council and said 'We're having speedway, lump it or like it'. This went on for two years. The council couldn't legally stop it. The stadium company (as a sports venue) had within its operations contract a clause which basically stated 'it could hold within reason any sport which the facilities were able, safely and adequately cater for'. Or words to that effect. The council eventually got the conservative environment secretary Peter Shaw to shut it down on noise grounds. Bristol Council are anti sport.

Back in 77 the Bulldogs promoters and Bristol Stadium Limited just put two ofingers up to the council and said 'We're having speedway, lump it or like it'. This went on for two years. The council couldn't legally stop it. The stadium company (as a sports venue) had within its operations contract a clause which basically stated 'it could hold within reason any sport which the facilities were able, safely and adequately cater for'. Or words to that effect. The council eventually got the conservative environment secretary Peter Shaw to shut it down on noise grounds. Bristol Council are anti sport.

It was Peter Shore and he was Labour not Tory. Bloody left-wing tree hugger! :-)

Edited by Sotonian

As a Newport wasps fan first and foremost I have a different opinion of Bristol Bulldogs @ Eastville .

To me our team was moved lock stock & barrel in 1977 we were demoted a division.

With hindsight it looks purely financial, and good luck to the promoters for that there were huge crowds, I was there opening might out of curiosity and it was a occasion. Remember being fairly angry though, because one of the reasons we were fed was the poor quality or the track at Somerton park (which wasn't good by any means) was the reason for the move. So you may understand our anger when we saw the Eastville track , racing was a joke tbh.

Having said all that I wish all the best to Bristol to get the track off the ground, but I'm not sure it will happen and I'm also not sure the massive crowds are there anymore. If my memory serves me well Somerset was a consequence of Andy not finding a site in Bristol in his many attempts.

Edited & corrected to appease grammar & spelling police

Edited by Ken Morgan

It was Peter Shore and he was Labour not Tory. Bloody left-wing tree hugger! :-)

My apologies, that's the bloke! I thought it was Thatcher in at the time,lol. The bloke was a Burke whichever party was in. As I remember he was presented with the council's banning request and he granted it immediately with out reading the counter petition from the fans and the letter Clark Osborne from BSG had sent him.

Newport fell foul to money making. You're correct there Ken. Bristol had a rubbish track, rubbish stadium. But A WHOLE LOT of fans and as Brucie would say "what do fans make?.... MONEY"