British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blueherb777

National Trophy,is It A Joke ?

Only six teams in it this season.

This should be done and dusted by now.

NO..... Kent still have THREE meetings to go.

And one fixture at Eastbourne still to be arranged.

What a joke Speedway is.

• Like 1

Why is it a joke?

So long as all the matches are completed by the end of the season, and a team are crowned Trophy winners, then everything has been done as planned. How is that a joke?

However if you're suggesting that the National Trophy competition could be planned in a different, and better way, then I may be inclined to agree with you.

For example maybe the matches should all be staged early season, with a deadline of perhaps June for completion, And then second week in July is designated at National Trophy Final week (This Final date being known at the start of the season).

If you were suggestng something like that then I would say that is a better way to do things. But just branding something a joke for no reason, when it is just doing what it says on the tin, is silly

The meetings should all be together, preferably at the start of the season. The South West group teams managed this, so I don't see why the South East group teams haven't tbh. Plymouth could've had a summer final with a strong crowd, but instead they're waiting to find out their opponent.

Run it right at the start of the season instead of pointless challenge matches, and agree make it a summer final so it's not all crammed into the last couple of weeks of October.

• Like 1

Why is it a joke?

But just branding something a joke for no reason, when it is just doing what it says on the tin, is silly

OK then, here's how I view it.

Frankly, it's the way it's run. Eastbourne won it in 2015 and Birmingham in 2016, and neither team was/has been given the chance to defend it. Add in the fact that only half the teams are allowed to enter or are entered by the powers that be in any given season. Now, that really is a joke.

Not so long ago, the National League was probably the best organised speedway league in the UK. That, in itself, is not challenging in any way, shape or form, given the general mess speedway in this country is in. It just seems to me though, that having seen some of the unfathomable decisions made by this league this year, it's determined to follow the rest of the sport in Britain down the plughole.

It's the National Trophy for gawd's sake. In it's current guise, it's anything but national. Surely, in a league of only 11 clubs (there were 12 earlier in the year), another tournament can be run on a season-long basis. Or is that too much to ask these days?

• Like 1

OK then, here's how I view it.

Frankly, it's the way it's run. Eastbourne won it in 2015 and Birmingham in 2016, and neither team was/has been given the chance to defend it. Add in the fact that only half the teams are allowed to enter or are entered by the powers that be in any given season. Now, that really is a joke.

Not so long ago, the National League was probably the best organised speedway league in the UK. That, in itself, is not challenging in any way, shape or form, given the general mess speedway in this country is in. It just seems to me though, that having seen some of the unfathomable decisions made by this league this year, it's determined to follow the rest of the sport in Britain down the plughole.

It's the National Trophy for gawd's sake. In it's current guise, it's anything but national. Surely, in a league of only 11 clubs (there were 12 earlier in the year), another tournament can be run on a season-long basis. Or is that too much to ask these days?

It's upto the clubs if they want to enter or not.

• Like 1

Why is it a joke?

So long as all the matches are completed by the end of the season, and a team are crowned Trophy winners, then everything has been done as planned. How is that a joke?

However if you're suggesting that the National Trophy competition could be planned in a different, and better way, then I may be inclined to agree with you.

For example maybe the matches should all be staged early season, with a deadline of perhaps June for completion, And then second week in July is designated at National Trophy Final week (This Final date being known at the start of the season).

If you were suggestng something like that then I would say that is a better way to do things. But just branding something a joke for no reason, when it is just doing what it says on the tin, is silly

That is my point.

The Final should be in mid- summer,instead of later in season.

I said JOKE as it is typical Speedway,fixtures all over the place.

Just on slightly different subject.

Great letter in SS this week.

Titled `Circus Act`.

And the Doubling and sometimes trebling up of Clubs for some riders.

Agree fully.

Look how it has effected Kent.

Stoneman rides for his second team and injured.

So Kent go into Mondays fixture without him and Hopwood (riding for his second team).

As the letter says,no wonder people do not take Speedway seriously.

That is my point.

The Final should be in mid- summer,instead of later in season.

I said JOKE as it is typical Speedway,fixtures all over the place.

Just on slightly different subject.

Great letter in SS this week.

Titled `Circus Act`.

And the Doubling and sometimes trebling up of Clubs for some riders.

Agree fully.

Look how it has effected Kent.

Stoneman rides for his second team and injured.

So Kent go into Mondays fixture without him and Hopwood (riding for his second team).

As the letter says,no wonder people do not take Speedway seriously.

Doubling-up, from the NL's point of view, has got worse this season with the reduced 2pt limit in the PL. There's more NL riders in the 2nd tier, which benefits the riders, but makes clashes harder to avoid. But particularly that means that more NL riders have to step up during the season (Kent have had 2) but the fixtures have already been planned then so clashes are unfortunately inevitable.

The meetings should all be together, preferably at the start of the season. The South West group teams managed this, so I don't see why the South East group teams haven't tbh. Plymouth could've had a summer final with a strong crowd, but instead they're waiting to find out their opponent.

This week Plymouth had a blank week with no one willing to fill that fixture. Wouldn't it have been nice to run a cup final last week,but no we will have to wait till probably September to run it.

• Like 1

​I shudder when I read there is National League competition dubbed the National Trophy.

​There was a time when it merited that description. It was sponsored by the 'Daily Mail', there was a magnificent trophy. The competition embraced clubs from the then all three divisions, starting with the lower order clubs in qualifying rounds. They progressed 'onwards and upwards' until the top teams entered the event.

Great clubs like Belle Vue and Wembley dominated the competition, and those who supported 'lesser lights' keenly looked forward to their club trying to match these giants in a future round of the competition.

​The National Trophy, aside from the publicity in the 'Daily Mirror' and its sister-publication the 'Sunday Dispatch' was covered fully by the rest of the Press. But this days have passed and will never return. Now we have what appears to be a shambolic competition with no real meaning to its title trying to stimulate - and failing it appears - speedway interest with IMO the un-National Trophy.

:::: A look back at the REAL National Trophy:

http://edinburghspeedway.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/national-trophy-1931-1962.html

Don't see a problem with the final being at the end of the season.

It makes sense to have all finals at the end of the season, regardless of league/competition.

It's all very well for Gustix to regret the passing of the "Old Days" when things in Speedway made good sense. Sadly the World has moved on and

Speedway these days faces a multi-attraction society with TV, the Internet and mobile phone games plus an enormous music scene sapping the attendance

figures. So promoters struggle to make the game pay and lots of "Fans", particularly on this forum, make their lives even more difficult, criticising everything

that happens without having the responsibility of putting alternatives in place. Of course many of us do not agree with the way things are done and we have

the right to voice those opinions, but when push comes to shove, we are still able to watch 4 riders risk life and limb week in week out and, as I have said before

on this forum, it is my view that the actual racing that we see today is superior to the days talked about by Gustix. It seems to me that the National Trophy is

not intended to be the fixture it once was. I think that clubs enter the competition if they wish to do so, and that would depend on the dates they have available

and whether the club is earning or losing money. When the meetings are actually run, or when the Final takes place is not relevant IMO.

Don't see a problem with the final being at the end of the season.

It makes sense to have all finals at the end of the season, regardless of league/competition.

Yes,in the freezing cold of October.

:nono:

My thoughts, the trophy should either have all the clubs in it or not run at all.

It certainly should not have teams in it made up of select sides taking riders from other NL sides like Zach riding for Swindon for example, double up/down if you must, double across is simply mind boggling.

It's up to the clubs if they want to enter or not. As Islander said that is correct.

You have to realize that the Brummies did not enter the Trophy this season

because they had a lack of race days ,as Cradley are track sharing this season.

That knocks 2 teams on the head.

And another team started their season on the 30th april (Buxton),Why so late?

I agree the fixtures should of had a run by date ,

WHO does the fixtures ?