Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blueherb777

National Trophy,is It A Joke ?

Yes,in the freezing cold of October.

:nono:

Its colder early March but we still run meetings then. What do you suggest; no meetings in March or October and have a huge fixture congestion mid season with double headers all over the gaff?

On the other hand I agree that these fixtures could easily be completed as the first meetings of the season before any league matched kick off.

I have never quite fathomed out why the name "National Trophy" is not used instead of "KO Cup." You could hardly have a less inspiring name for a major competition than KO Cup.

The current National Trophy is just a fixture filler. My team (Birmingham) won it last season, but there was very little enthusiasm generated from winning since only half of the clubs in the league decided to enter.

Supporters have shown clearly that they are not particularly interested in other than league matches (or genuine cupties) so clearly the name "National Trophy" was dreamed up to try to give an impression that this is a major event, but I do agree that to use this title is insulting to the great competition that this used to be.

Well I made the trip down the A2 to Sittingbourne on Monday to see the National Trophy match with Kent and Mildenhall. There did not seem

to be any lack of enthusiasm there either by the riders or the spectators ( which were there in good numbers as far as I could tell). Plenty of

Eagles fans who made a lot of noise all add to the atmosphere. More than at my own club when Buxton came.