British Speedway Forum
SCB

Buster Chapman - Is He Good For The Sport?

There is a team of people trying to get the Bees up and running again.

There are youngsters riding their hearts out on 125's and 250's for no money trying to be the next World Champion.

There are riders putting their lives on the line every week wondering how to balance the books.

Need I go on?

You offer nothing to encourage these people. If you think you know they are deluded, leave them in ignorance please?

Well let's all turn a blind eye because you want your world to carry on under a false pretence.

Hope you reassess your attitude and realise that speedway in this country is on life support and anyone looking to spend money on the sport should be aware of what bumps may lay in the road ahead.

• Like 4

Well let's all turn a blind eye because you want your world to carry on under a false pretence.

Hope you reassess your attitude and realise that speedway in this country is on life support and anyone looking to spend money on the sport should be aware of what bumps may lay in the road ahead.

I am an intelligent fellow who's followed the sport for many years. So let's get real. Thompson twins, give up. James, my money was for nothing, retire now. The Save Coventry Speedway Committee: you're wasting your time along with the local council and our MP, disband now. Oh and Buster, that was a shambles you put on last Thursday, retire now while you're ahead.

I suggest you leave us in splendid ignorance.

Edited by False dawn

I am an intelligent fellow who's followed the sport for many years. So let's get real. Thompson twins, give up. James, my money was for nothing, retire now. The Save Coventry Speedway Committee: you're wasting your time along with the local council and our MP, disband now. Oh and Buster, that was a shambles you put on last Thursday, retire now while you're ahead.

I suggest you leave us in splendid ignorance.

If you do not like what I have to say then please put me on ignore, however be be assured your comments will not stop me posting my opinions on an open forum.

• Like 7

If you do not like what I have to say then please put me on ignore, however be be assured your comments will not stop me posting my opinions on an open forum.

As Voltaire said, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

I guess my postings sent the wrong message. For sure I think we're on the same side.

But please, some constructive comment would be welcome, rather than doom and gloom. There are a lot of riders, promoters, track staff and fans who want to see our sport continue, nee thrive (and they read this stuff). You know the sport. Tell us some way, however small, how we can turn the corner.

We all need to be realistic, & realize that our great sport is in trouble. Jonothan talks a lot of sense in my opinion, but when someone like him doesn't have any answers, what is the answer ?

the great Bert Harkins has said recently 2 valve were fine and its all gone downhill since then

• Like 1

the great Bert Harkins has said recently 2 valve were fine and its all gone downhill since then

Funny thing is, my Dad told me they said the same thing when they changed from the big wheels.

• Like 1

At least I am in good company with my views.

Bert is Spot On!!!

Bert is Spot On!!!

He'd better be, otherwise Scotland wouldn't have a team.

Oh bugger, he's retired hasn't he?

He was a cracking Rider in his day.

He certainly was. Well turned out and a stylish competitor.

• Like 1

I think whoever 'leads' the BSPA will struggle to make any significant difference to the way the sport is run. Understandably there are too many unwilling to upset the status quo and risk losing (even more of?) their money to take a punt on things that are unproven to make any real financial difference. That includes by far the vast majority of the things suggested on here.

As far as Kings Lynn track goes they have put some different material on very recently that held moisture noticeably better than on my previous visits. Judging the track on the SWC qualifier is unrealistic given there was such a large difference in the standard of riders that good racing with passing would have been unlikely at most tracks.

I've given my opinion on the return to 2V, uprights etc many times and they haven't changed. Whatever engines were in use by now they would be revving just as hard courtesy of light flywheels with a short stroke and make little or no difference to the cost or racing. If, and it's a big if, changing the engines is the answer then a rev limiter that would allow big flywheels and longer stroke engines to return would be my preference for allowing engines to deal with difficult and or deep tracks as well as increasing reliability.

• Like 1

Shame people won't listen to someone who actually knows the nitty gritty about running a Club, he is 100% correct, some people would much rather 'think' they know what is best, get over it, the 'sport' is finished as we know it.

Edited by Lord Skid

It was too late when Buster was given "control" of the sport. The decline was and is irreversible. That is not being full of doom and gloom but is a look at the reality of falling attendances and general lack of interest in the sport from those not involved in it.

Poland IS a different world speedway wise and we are not able to copy that model ( nor what was working in Sweden ). Without a fan base ( or big spending sponsors who are really pumping up themselves ) a semi pro low-level sport - if any -is the shape of the future. If you can get £1,000 a point in Poland IF you can get in it, that's the place to go to for younger riders.

• Like 2

It was too late when Buster was given "control" of the sport. The decline was and is irreversible. That is not being full of doom and gloom but is a look at the reality of falling attendances and general lack of interest in the sport from those not involved in it.

Poland IS a different world speedway wise and we are not able to copy that model ( nor what was working in Sweden ). Without a fan base ( or big spending sponsors who are really pumping up themselves ) a semi pro low-level sport - if any -is the shape of the future. If you can get £1,000 a point in Poland IF you can get in it, that's the place to go to for younger riders.

If people cast their minds back to the opening months this year, there was a concensus that this year gates had actually improved and that it was noted that the promotions and the BSPA were being more pro active to using social media. I know for a fact that Newcastle are regularly putting more news and updates before and after events on Facebook and Twitter, in preference to using our own website.