British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

The Bob Killer Kilby Book.

I am quarter of the way through this book what a terrific read certainly on par with the Backtrack books and of course they were all superb.Bob i was a big fan of one of my favourite riders along with Briggo and later Holloway and at the time you did not realise how good a rider he was. This book really brings that home to you the pictures also are superb my favourite is Kilb as the Exeter no 1 destroying Briggo at the Abbey no mean feat the book brings back happy childhood memories.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

I am quarter of the way through this book what a terrific read certainly on par with the Backtrack books and of course they were all superb.Bob i was a big fan of one of my favourite riders along with Briggo and later Holloway and at the time you did not realise how good a rider he was. This book really brings that home to you the pictures also are superb my favourite is Kilb as the Exeter no 1 destroying Briggo at the Abbey no mean feat the book brings back happy childhood memories.

Nice words mate

• Like 1

Must get my copy.

Will always remember Bob's contribution as a 'Rebel' when he rode for Oxford.

Remember when Killer rode for Swindon's arch rivals. They asked him to list 3 teams he wished to ride for. He wrote...Swindon, Swindon, Swindon.

Remember when Killer rode for Swindon's arch rivals. They asked him to list 3 teams he wished to ride for. He wrote...Swindon, Swindon, Swindon.

Didnt like him riding for Oxford just didnt seem right nice to see him ride of course but it was strange.Going to Exeter like Crash got him out of Briggos shadow and he was a in/out top class no 1 beating the likes of Mauger,Olsen,Briggs along the way.When you think of Kilb have a look back at his testimonial line up top class and the crowd that was there that just showed how much respect he had from riders and fans he was a one off. Edited by Sidney the robin

Didnt like him riding for Oxford just didnt seem right nice to see him ride of course but it was strange.Going to Exeter like Crash got him out of Briggos shadow and he was a in/out top class no 1 beating the likes of Mauger,Olsen,Briggs along the way.When you think of Kilb have a look back at his testimonial line up top class and the crowd that was there that just showed how much respect he had from riders and fans he was a one off.

Yes Swindon legend, Ferndale Road lad, his son Lee is nice guy. Wish I had seen the 67 side, first meeting on moving from London, a Dons fan,1968 Swindon beat Belle Vue 56-22, Kilbs and Briggo max.

Yes Swindon legend, Ferndale Road lad, his son Lee is nice guy. Wish I had seen the 67 side, first meeting on moving from London, a Dons fan,1968 Swindon beat Belle Vue 56-22, Kilbs and Briggo max.

I never see the 67 side "beefy but have this Swindon Robins 67 side memorabilia item with all the autographs of the riders my uncle gave it to me.My only gripe is i have one missing Peter Jackson i so wish i could get it.Going back to the Abbey "beefy did you go to the England v New Zealand test match where Kilb got 16 (beaten twice by Briggo) and Briggs got a 18 point max.??

I never see the 67 side "beefy but have this Swindon Robins 67 side memorabilia item with all the autographs of the riders my uncle gave it to me.My only gripe is i have one missing Peter Jackson i so wish i could get it.Going back to the Abbey "beefy did you go to the England v New Zealand test match where Kilb got 16 (beaten twice by Briggo) and Briggs got a 18 point max.??

No, I went to GB v Sweden 68, 12000 official crowd, but hundreds climbed in. Stopped watching speedway around 72, then had 32 year break, still lovin it!

• Like 1

No, I went to GB v Sweden 68, 12000 official crowd, but hundreds climbed in. Stopped watching speedway around 72, then had 32 year break, still lovin it!

Were you asleep for 32 years?😂😂 why the gap puzzling did you fall out of love with the sport i did in the nineties. Edited by Sidney the robin

Were you asleep for 32 years? why the gap puzzling did you fall out of love with the sport i did in the nineties.

Yep...just got bored with it, went to Workington in 2004 and got back into it.

Edited by beefy keefy

Strange how so many seemed to have a break I only went now again between about 82 and 98. I only started going in 75 so had 7 years full on which is no way near the nearly 20 years since I returned to the sport. Trouble is I can remember more about them first 7 years than the past 20 years

Strange how so many seemed to have a break I only went now again between about 82 and 98. I only started going in 75 so had 7 years full on which is no way near the nearly 20 years since I returned to the sport. Trouble is I can remember more about them first 7 years than the past 20 years

Early signs of dementia

Never stopped going but i did get bored in the early nineties went to home meetings only like now apart from the odd meeting here and there .Jason Crump got me interested again when he started up on a 2.00 point average still enjoy it now but not as much.

Early signs of dementia

Maybe, can't really remember

Never stopped going but i did get bored in the early nineties went to home meetings only like now apart from the odd meeting here and there .Jason Crump got me interested again when he started up on a 2.00 point average still enjoy it now but not as much.

The winter of 1992 was the beginning of the end for me (started going in 1972) really although I continued to attend mostly home meetings until 2003.

The supposed pay structure was introduced for the 1993 season and the promotion at Oxford felt that they couldn't offer Hans what he felt he was worth within the pay 'restraints'...he eventually moved to Coventry who were able to meet his demands with improved sponsorship etc. Funny how the promotion at Coventry were able to meet his demands?

Personally I felt that Hans was made a scapegoat by the then Oxford Promotion (Northern Sports and Kevin Hedderley in particular) as their other business interests were struggling and Cowley suffered accordingly.

Edited by steve roberts