Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
website_bbbs

Prospective Bristol Speedway Promoter

Whilst I respect your opinion, you can hardly compare the golden era to today when looking for a new Speedway track.

I remember going to watch Bristol Bulldogs and travelling by car for each home Friday night meeting, which was 9 miles. As did many of the 8-10,000 fans at that time.

The address for this site is still considered Bristol... Tormarton MX, Tolldown Farm Dyrham, Bristol SN14 8HZ

And is only 12 miles away from where the Bulldogs last rode.

In fact it's roughly the same distance away as what the last proposed site was in Avonmouth.

Imo, you'd have more chance getting permission to build a track at such a site, that already has motor sport, and good links to the motorway, than you would with a piece of land on the inner city...as much as we would all like that.

I look at Somerset Speedway and the catchment area there...it's nothing compared to here, yet they have done very well considering. Nearly everyone travels by car to watch them, plus they have a similar link in distance to the Motorway.

As for public transport...the nearest train station and bus station is at Yate, 6 miles away.

Anyway...this is purely a suggestion on my part, and nothing to do with what the OP was about ;-)

i suspect hardly anyone uses public transport to get to some tracks - Somerset e.g.

i suspect hardly anyone uses public transport to get to some tracks - Somerset e.g.

Tbh, it's something I've actually considered doing.

The drive down to Somerset on a Friday evening is an absolute ball ache. What should take 50 mins normally, takes me the best part of 2 hrs. I have to leave at 4pm to get there for 6.15 ish. That's on a good day. If I leave any latter than it can take far longer. The traffic is gridlock.

I looked into taking the train with my bike. The train station is only 1.5 miles from the track. A 6 min cycle ride. The train journey is one change and takes 1hr 24 mins.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose...but something to consider for anyone who doesn't drive and is coming from Bristol.

Last trains back are 9.45 and 10.45...so plenty of time to get back as well.

I'm going to try it on a sunny day ;-)

Good luck to Brizzle, had massive support in the 70s at Eastville. Would be local derby for Swindon and Zummerzet.

Must admit I'd be at Somerset on a regular basis but Friday on the M5 from the Midlands is not good

Having read quite a few threads, I think I can explain his Modus Operandi for you. It seems to be look for anyone posting something in any way positive, and post the opposite to try to cause argument.

e.g. Someone suggests land for a track near housing - Post negatively saying it's no good near housing because local people will complain

Someone suggests land for a track not near housing - Post negatively saying it's no good away from housing because local people can't come.

Think it's called "trolling"

I say good luck to Cradley with their track near housing, and good luck to Bristol with their track not near housing. May both work out successfully.

There is references to both Bristol and Cradley Heath carried on the National Speedway Museum website. I am sure that two main benefactors to it, Bert Harkins and Karl Fiala, will appreciate any learned observations you in your wisdom care to make in regard the comments made on the website concerning both tracks?

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/tracks.html

And I must say I raised a smile when I read the definition of your BSF name on Wikipedia. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Plinge

Edited by Guest

I'm struggling to understand your sentiment here fella...

You quoted in the Cradley application thread..

''And I am not in principle opposed to a speedway track being laid on the sports complex. All I was trying to highlight was the possible feelings of people who may have bought properties nearby and had no idea when completing such a deal that they might in the future have to tolerate motorcycle noise. Plus the fact that potential speedway meeting followers by and large will not be local residents....''

Yes...there are no houses within the vicinity of the MX track, but you have many areas of large populations close by...Chipping Sodbury, Yate, Pucklechurch and Bristol and Bath.

There would be no problem with accessing a decent following, and transport links to the site would be easy.

Noise...being the main issue for Speedway, wouldn't be an issue.

The prospect of having the Bulldogs back is fantastic. I can only hope it transpires. Local derbies with Swindon and Somerset would be fantastic.

Fingers crossed the new Promoter can find a site.

This was just a suggestion, based on looking for prospective sites myself whilst travelling around the Bristol area.

Gresham, I live in Yate and as a non driver, I can assure you it is damn near impossible to get to this proposed track by public transport - truth of the matter is I'd never heard of the place until I read this thread

Mind you, my neighbour is an ex-Eastville track grader so if I can get him interested again, problem solved.

• Like 1

This has to be a step forward! Andy H and Steve C have been trying for years. I wish him all the best and it all happens ASAP. Well done to all and fingers crossed