British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Bristol Speedway Memories

Good luck to Brizzle but we don't want too many folk from Wiltshire deserting The Blunsdon Shabbey!

Tbh, I think if we had Somerset, Bristol and Swindon all going, it would be good for Speedway. Could see fans attending all 3.

The M4/M5 route would be so much nicer if it still had Oxford, Reading, Swindon, Bristol, Newport, Somerset, Exeter and Plymouth going all together

If Bristol came back at a new site in Bristol ( i loved the potential that the old Bristol track had) what sort of crowds would they expect to get..?

These days, dependent on what league. Top tier speedway about 800-1,000. At National League level around 400 probably.

These days, dependent on what league. Top tier speedway about 800-1,000. At National League level around 400 probably.

Bristol is a massive city "gustix i think they have loads of potential there also with some Oxford,,Swindon,Reading fans going there the potential there is more than you think we shall see.😀 Edited by Sidney the robin

Bristol is a massive city "gustix i think they have loads of potential there also with some Oxford,,Swindon,Reading fans going there the potential there is more than you think we shall see.

London is also a massive city. Its nearest tracks are now at Rye House and Lakeside. I think the attendance figures at Rye House just exceed the 1,000 mark. At Lakeside about 400. What do you see as the difference whereby Bristol - with Swindon, Somerset and Plymouth 'in the vicinity' - are going to attract 'vast' attendances.

​I estimate, for example, the distance between one potential area to mention Reading and Bristol is about 70 miles, with a one-way travel time of at least 90 minutes. Then there's a return journey. And will Swindon-based fans go regularly to support a rival team?

When Wimbledon came back 2002-05 with the massive potential of London to attract large attendances, they at best had 500 crowds as I recall.

This is speedway in the 2000-plus era not the 1940s. Sorry Sidney the robin I don't share your enthusiasm.

Edited by Guest

These days, dependent on what league. Top tier speedway about 800-1,000. At Naltional League level around 400 probably.

Those top tier figures seem low?

If anyone was to start out again and make a go of it Bristol would be top of my list god it would be hard but i believe there would be hope.Bristol and Odsal have been bandied about over the years but Odsal i believe would struggle with there crowds i dont believe they would be viable Bristol could be alot though would be decided on where the site was.

Edited by Sidney the robin

London is also a massive city. Its nearest tracks are now at Rye House and Lakeside. I think the attendance figures at Rye House just exceed the 1,000 mark. At Lakeside about 400. What do you see as the difference whereby Bristol - with Swindon, Somerset and Plymouth 'in the vicinity' - are going to attract 'vast' attendances.

​I estimate, for example, the distance between one potential area to mention Reading and Bristol is about 70 miles, with a one-way travel time of at least 90 minutes. Then there's a return journey. And will Swindon-based fans go regularly to support a rival team?

When Wimbledon came back 2002-05 with the massive potential of London to attract large attendances, they at best had 500 crowds as I recall.

This is speedway in the 2000-plus era not the 1940s. Sorry Sidney the robin I don't share your enthusiasm.

If anyone was to start out again and make a go of it Bristol would be top of my list god it would be hard but i believe there would be hope.Bristol and Odsal have been bandied about over the years but Odsal i believe would struggle with there crowds i dont believe they would be viable Bristol could be alot though would be decided on where the cite was.

I would like to see a Bristol revival survive and prosper. Although I live in London, I have had an interest in the club since 1947 - remember Fred 'Friar' Tuck, Dick Bradley, Eric Salmon, the Hole brothers (Billy, Graham, John), Mike Beddoe especially well.

And as you rightly point out Sidney the robin a successful revival for Bristol would much depend on where the new track site was located.

Edited by Guest

Bristol recorded huge numbers for league matches. Well over 10,000 for the open select match in April '77.Some sources quote 14,000. I can't remember a home match with an attendance less than 8,000.Speedway is/was bigger to Bristolians than it is to the Polish!

If anyone was to start out again and make a go of it Bristol would be top of my list god it would be hard but i believe there would be hope.Bristol and Odsal have been bandied about over the years but Odsal i believe would struggle with there crowds i dont believe they would be viable Bristol could be alot though would be decided on where the site was.

if Bristol did return, Somerset would be the losers. How many rebels regulars are ex bulldogs fans. When stoke reopened in 1973 they took half of crewe's crowd with them. The kings only lasted a couple more years. Sunderland's short return to the sport in the 1970's coincided with newcastle's absence.
  • Like 1

if Bristol did return, Somerset would be the losers. How many rebels regulars are ex bulldogs fans. When stoke reopened in 1973 they took half of crewe's crowd with them. The kings only lasted a couple more years. Sunderland's short return to the sport in the 1970's coincided with newcastle's absence.

A most fair and valid comment cityrebel.

Pop down to Oak tree and you'll see the Bulldog program boards, badges and the occasional scarf (partially hidden of course) lol Edited by Eastville Bulldog

Bristol recorded huge numbers for league matches. Well over 10,000 for the open select match in April '77.Some sources quote 14,000. I can't remember a home match with an attendance less than 8,000.Speedway is/was bigger to Bristolians than it is to the Polish!

The attendances you quote were from 40 years ago. The attraction that speedway held for the sporting public in those days has very sadly long evaporated.

::: There's also BSF debate on this topic at SPEEDWAY NEWS AND DISCUSSIONS

Bristol Bulldogs

Edited by Guest

The attendances you quote were from 40 years ago. The attraction that speedway held for the sporting public in those days has very sadly long evaporated.

Tell me about it!