British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Bristol Speedway Memories

Very true, the track surface at Eastville was appealing. I remember the comeback meeting there. All the top names were there. Unfortunately the meeting was almost a cancelled that night when a handful of the riders refused to ride on it.

Although the track was appalling by known standards, it still made for entertaing and exciting racing.

If not, you wouldn't have got the crowds we did. More than Bristol Rovers.

Some great riders graced that track and I was lucky enough as a young boy to meet most of them, as I was allowed in the pits.

Such a shame Eastville closed...now an Ikea. And the locals complained about noise...now look what they've got 24/7 lol

Some great pictures can be seen in this collection...scroll through the whole lot, as there are some football and boxing in amongst them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kwmc/4853476828/in/photostream/

What I can't understand is that there is hardly any video footage readily available of either Knowle or Eastville. A couple on youtube and a video released with a few races on it. The local TV station covered it most Fridays.

• Like 2

Although the track was appalling by known standards, it still made for entertaing and exciting racing.

If not, you wouldn't have got the crowds we did. More than Bristol Rovers.

Some great riders graced that track and I was lucky enough as a young boy to meet most of them, as I was allowed in the pits.

Such a shame Eastville closed...now an Ikea. And the locals complained about noise...now look what they've got 24/7 lol

Some great pictures can be seen in this collection...scroll through the whole lot, as there are some football and boxing in amongst them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kwmc/4853476828/in/photostream/

What I can't understand is that there is hardly any video footage readily available of either Knowle or Eastville. A couple on youtube and a video released with a few races on it. The local TV station covered it most Fridays.

Some great pictures there of Crumpy,Danny Kennedy ,Mike Lee i went to the Daily Mirror first meeting what a crowd the place was buzzing. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

The meeting I went to at eastville against Wimbledon was Definetely filmed. Bob Coles ended up in the crowd on the first bend after a horrendous pile up. I have seen footage of this on YouTube. I'd love to see the whole match.

Edited by cityrebel

The meeting I went to at eastville against Wimbledon was Definetely filmed. Bob Coles ended up in the crowd on the first bend after a horrendous pile up. I have seen footage of this on YouTube. I'd love to see the whole match.

I recall that it was featured on 'World of Sport' and, I think, Bob was interviewed?

I recall that it was featured on 'World of Sport' and, I think, Bob was interviewed?

Didn't he say that he knew he was in trouble when he saw the crowd below him?

• Like 1

Didn't he say that he knew he was in trouble when he saw the crowd below him?

I think he's also featured on the Bristol Speedway DVD which I have but it's a while since I've viewed it.

If Bristol came back at a new site in Bristol ( i loved the potential that the old Bristol track had) what sort of crowds would they expect to get..?

I'm in the video of the Bob Coles crash...(it's on youtube) it happened just in front of where me and my father were stood. You can see my father wearing a white bobble hat ducking his head and me as a young en wearing a parker as you did back then lol

As for expected crowds if Bristol came back...who knows. When the Bulldogs packed up, many ended up going to watch at Swindon and then Newport. A few also go to Somerset now.

I would guess, you would get a few come back out of interest. Depends where it is, how it's promoted and whether it's entertaining and has good racing.

I think that's why Somerset work so well tbh...hardly a big catchment area, with no Speedway history...but they have the best track for consistent close and entertaining racing, which draws the crowds in.

• Like 3

I'm in the video of the Bob Coles crash...(it's on youtube) it happened just in front of where me and my father were stood. You can see my father wearing a white bobble hat ducking his head and me as a young en wearing a parker as you did back then lol

As for expected crowds if Bristol came back...who knows. When the Bulldogs packed up, many ended up going to watch at Swindon and then Newport. A few also go to Somerset now.

I would guess, you would get a few come back out of interest. Depends where it is, how it's promoted and whether it's entertaining and has good racing.

I think that's why Somerset work so well tbh...hardly a big catchment area, with no Speedway history...but they have the best track for consistent close and entertaining racing, which draws the crowds in.

I believe Bristol would be an attractive venture Reading,Swindon, Somerset, Oxford fans would go also if promoted right try to encourage a new younger viewer the crowds i believe will never be a problem there.
  • Like 1

I believe Bristol would be an attractive venture Reading,Swindon, Somerset, Oxford fans would go also if promoted right try to encourage a new younger viewer the crowds i believe will never be a problem there.

Good luck to Brizzle but we don't want too many folk from Wiltshire deserting The Blunsdon Shabbey!