British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

What Are The Five Issues You Would Like Changed In British And World Speedway.?

There is of course a bit of a flaw in the cunning plan if, as many seem to want, it becomes 'one big league' next year...

The League strengths have only become closer because two teams in two divisions share the same bloody riders..

Perfectly equal team strength when it's the same person!

He will find it hard to do the same thing in one League though...

Half an Half Kevlars maybe for when his current two teams meet each other?...☺

Intervals. Cheating. Crap tracks. Doubling up. Insert Programmes.

You forgot 'Double Points' HT. :shock:;):D:D

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

Only three for me really. Other sports fans laugh at me when I tell them a rider can score more for coming second than for winning the race, and a rider can race for three or four different clubs. As well as that, clubs can 'borrow' other clubs star riders! 'Jeux Sans Frontieres'?

• Like 1

tigerowl wrote" 1. Someone with a brain and without a vested interest in a club to run the sport"

Without that ( although it will never happen ) the sport will become less and less viable and less and less credible and less and less attractive to the paying customers. A part time semi pro rider and sport is all we will be left with if any speedway at all. It's "doomed" as that great Scottish actor often said.

• Like 1

tigerowl wrote" 1. Someone with a brain and without a vested interest in a club to run the sport"

Without that ( although it will never happen ) the sport will become less and less viable and less and less credible and less and less attractive to the paying customers. A part time semi pro rider and sport is all we will be left with if any speedway at all. It's "doomed" as that great Scottish actor often said.

whats the problem with that?

In general for all/world speedway.

1. as cohesive regulations as possible for all leagues. Most other league sports have the same rules/regulations while speedway
have very different rules from one country to another.Rules/regulations such as R/R , tactical substitute and etc.

2. No league should be allowed to block riders from riding in other leagues. If there are to be restrictions, they should come from FIM after
all national federations have approved such regulations. Restrictions of number of leagues a rider can ride in is preventing a rider from earning money.

3. Stricter enforcement when preventing inured riders from riding. I want to see healthy riders not injured riders who

might be a danger to both themselves and others. Concussion (comotion cerebrI) should be an automatic 1-2 week "rest ban".

severe concussion (Contusio cerebri) should be 3-4 weeks resting ban. A briken arm will heal in about 6 weeks but

a brain that have been concussed might not heal at all, especially not if concussed multiple times.

If really unlucky concussion can cause life long damage to your brain.

4. Much better co-operation between national federations/leagues when it comes to schedule planning, priorities and etc.

Swedish Elitserien suffers greatly because it is almost impossible to find a suitable date for postponed meetings because

there are rarely any date where there aren't a meeting in GB, DK or Poland. Also if R/R is used for a rider one evening

he shouldn't be allowed to ride the next evening. Like Robert Lambert who's English team used R/R for him on Monday evening

while he rode without a problem yesterday evening.

For the Swedish leagues I would like to see a merge between Elitserien and Allsvenskan because there are
not enough teams to support two leagues now. I would also adjust the strength of the league so that teams would

have 2 international stars and 1 decent foreign rider per line up and then 3-4 Swedish riders (depending on using 6 or 7 riders teams).

The issue would be that the weakest Allsvenskan team is too weak compared to the current strongest Eltserien teams.

R/R and Tac sub should be removed completely. Simply 7 riders riding 4 heats each. Reserves can be used for 1-5 rider

in case of injury during meeting but that should be conditioned by info from track doctor.

whats the problem with that?

No problem with that. It would be better than what we currently have. What's "doomed" is speedway as it is on offer now. I am up for the more sensible, simpler speedway that is almost certain to be here in 3 - years. Should be just as ( if not more ) entertaining and more reliable, perhaps even weekly from April to September.

• Like 2

I think that would be a recipe for disaster. Reserve teams aren't well supported which is how the 2nd tier team would be viewed.

​I'd be very surprised if the Colts don't at least break even and Cradley don't do badly, either.

You forgot 'Double Points' HT. :shock:;):D:D

Doesn't bother me, Ian. Been around for 50 years or more in one form or another. Have to say, though, ​I don't miss them at NL meetings.

People complain about unnecessary delay yet most tracks have a 15 minute one half way through the meeting. Never met someone who likes intervals but have met an awful lot that don't. Why annoy fans unnecessarily ?

Cheating (and this is average fixing, bent decisions etc at the heart of the sport) simply brings speedway into disrepute, destroys its credibility and makes people walk away. We need independent adjudication to stop interested parties making crooked rulings, not independent control.

Crap tracks are a blight on the sport. Some can produce speedway that is rarely poor, usually decent and often pretty good. Why can't they all ? I still remain unconvinced that every effort is put into ensuring that fans get their money's worth of entertainment.

There was nothing wrong with one or two riders doubling up - indeed, its been around for decades. Its all got completely out of hand, to the extent that a 7 rider full complement is a rarity and that's just not on. My good friend Tigerite - certainly one of the most passionate speedway fans I know - highlights this as a reason for his enthusiasm draining away, and he's anything but alone.

Insert programmes are a rip off. Some (Scunthorpe, Plymouth, Somerset) charge half price for an inferior product and that is fair enough. Others (Redcar recently) charge you full price for a programme that isn't even the team that is riding that night and then say it is a way to make up revenue. That's taking the proverbial Michael out of each and every one that attends a meeting and buys one.

I could add poor presentation. On Monday at Belle Vue, Neil Drummond, Hayley Bromley & Chase the Ace did a fantastic job. Some are simply dreadful.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

Only three for me really. Other sports fans laugh at me when I tell them a rider can score more for coming second than for winning the race, and a rider can race for three or four different clubs. As well as that, clubs can 'borrow' other clubs star riders! 'Jeux Sans Frontieres'?

What sports do they like ? you can take any sport and find stupid rules that people could laugh at ..Look at Cricket a review system that shows people out lbw but still not given out . How about Champions league football ? with teams who are not champions in it ..How about f1 the best drivers in the best cars getting a head start on the others . You could go on and on

Edited by orion
  • Like 4

What sports do they like ? you can take any sport and find stupid rules that people could laugh at ..Look at Cricket a review system that shows people out lbw but still not given out . How about Champions league football ? with teams who are not champions in it ..How about f1 the best drivers in the best cars getting a head start on the others . You could go on and on

You are right. But Speedway really does excel at it. Certainly Speedway is better at it than most.

GPS qualifying rounds 2semi finals top 8 from both to final.British leagues. No doubling up,no tact rides for double points.keep injured riders R/R .make sure all referees sing from the same song sheet.

An 8 team top division, to ride on a Monday and a Wednesday only, 2 matches on a Monday and 2 on a Wednesday, no other divisons to ride on that night so they can keep the stupid doubling up. 2 British under 21's at no's 6 and 7 they stay at 6 and 7 no matter what their average is. Only 3 foreign riders in the top 5. Tac subs allowed when a team is 8 points down, no double points.

Edited by Gaz W
  • Like 1