British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

What Are The Five Issues You Would Like Changed In British And World Speedway.?

1 Independent body to oversee the sport

2 Abolish the dingly dangly double points rubbish

3 Standardise engines

4 Provide some kind of entertainment in addition to the bare 15 heats, riders contracts include clause that they must do laps of honour, go round with flags etc (i.e interact with the fans)

5 All clubs to provide time for 6 heats of junior racing for British youngsters (curfew permitting) at every meeting (could be put in between heats, before or after

It's all cloud cuckoo land stuff really. Can't see any of it happening at all track.

• Like 2

This is my thoughts to help British Team Speedway;

1. Scrap doubling up/down i follow my Team that rider rides for my team, except for occasional Guest bookings.

2. Riders are paid solely on points money, this would hopefully end manipulating of averages. (how its policed is another matter), currently we have the contradiction of riders riding there hearts to win and for their team to win, only to find they get replaced by another rider supposedly on an artificially low average this HAS to stop.

3. One League or at the very least promotion/relegation between Leagues, plus development Leagues where Teams are allowed rider assets.

4. A British Speedway Co-ordinator overseeing the senior League racing.

5. Something has to be done about machinery ie costs and safety, im no expert but it seems to me that Lay downs, combined with the new exhaust regulations seem to have made Speedway more dangerous through the riders not having so much control over the actual bikes. F2 maybe could be a way forward could we have a F2 league ?.

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 1

When were bonus points included in the team score? I'm not sure I'd go along with that idea. It would make scoring more complicated to understand and not everybody fully understands bonus points.

Bonus points, me lord, were actually included in team scores for the 1995 KO Cup... and it lasted for only that year (for some reason!).

Speedway is all about tinkering with the rules, when most fans want it simple. There's the so-many-points-for-a-bigger-win, the now defunct aggregate bonus points, green helmet cover, six-lap nominated heats.... and they have all long since gone.

Find the best rules the sport has had and stick with them... and bring back 13 heats for god's sake!

But we'll be having this discussion in a year's time, 10 years' time... I sift through old mags even now and they are talking about what would be best for the sport. Meanwhile, those who want the change usually end up getting frustrated by it not coming, they eventually fall out with it.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 3

This is my thoughts to help British Team Speedway;

1. Scrap doubling up/down i follow my Team that rider rides for my team, except for occasional Guest bookings.

2. Riders are paid solely on points money, this would hopefully end manipulating of averages. (how its policed is another matter), currently we have the contradiction of riders riding there hearts to win and for their team to win, only to find they get replaced by another rider supposedly on an artificially low average this HAS to stop.

3. One League or at the very least promotion/relegation between Leagues, plus development Leagues where Teams are allowed rider assets.

4. A British Speedway Co-ordinator overseeing the senior League racing.

5. Something has to be done about machinery ie costs and safety, im no expert but it seems to me that Lay downs, combined with the new exhaust regulations seem to have made Speedway more dangerous through the riders not having so much control over the actual bikes. F2 maybe could be a way forward could we have a F2 league ?.

Said Co-ordinator should be overseeing ALL Speedway Leagues, not just the Premier League.

That is the only thing criticism I have with a very well considered and positive Post.

I totally agree with you regarding the Bikes too.

Find the best rules the sport has had and stick with them... and bring back 13 heats for god's sake!

Yeah, that would be great wouldn't it. Even less value for money. :t:

Bonus points, me lord, were actually included in team scores for the 1995 KO Cup... and it lasted for only that year (for some reason!).

Speedway is all about tinkering with the rules, when most fans want it simple. There's the so-many-points-for-a-bigger-win, the now defunct aggregate bonus points, green helmet cover, six-lap nominated heats.... and they have all long since gone.

But we'll be having this discussion in a year's time, 10 years' time... I sift through old mags even now and they are talking about what would be best for the sport. Meanwhile, those who want the change usually end up getting frustrated by it not coming, they eventually fall out with it.

...and re-introduce a Second Half either culminating with a Rider of the Night Final or a Junior Meeting over six heats as was the case during the eighties and nineties.

1 Independent body to oversee the sport

2 Abolish the dingly dangly double points rubbish

3 Standardise engines

4 Provide some kind of entertainment in addition to the bare 15 heats, riders contracts include clause that they must do laps of honour, go round with flags etc (i.e interact with the fans)

5 All clubs to provide time for 6 heats of junior racing for British youngsters (curfew permitting) at every meeting (could be put in between heats, before or after

It's all cloud cuckoo land stuff really. Can't see any of it happening at all track.

Agree entirely.

• Like 1

Yeah, that would be great wouldn't it. Even less value for money. :t:

yeah, i think he would be advocating a second half or junior match but thank u once again for your positive attitude

yeah, i think he would be advocating a second half or junior match but thank u once again for your positive attitude

by the way - i don't agree with him - we got rid of 13 heats for a reason

by the way - i don't agree with him - we got rid of 13 heats for a reason

There is absolutely NOTHING positive about reverting to 13 heats.

In terms of ridiculous ideas, it's right up there.

Junior races, 2nd halves, sure they are a bonus but not at the expense of the bread and butter product.

There is absolutely NOTHING positive about reverting to 13 heats.

In terms of ridiculous ideas, it's right up there.

Junior races, 2nd halves, sure they are a bonus but not at the expense of the bread and butter product.

So you prefer TWO Heats - to an extra FOUR in a Second Half.

It's only two Heats off the main Meeting so what's the problem. Second Halves could be great, as well as beneficial to Speedway by giving youngsters the opportunity for more Track time and the experience of riding in front of the public.

Happiness is 40-38.

• Like 1

Why not stick in an extra 10 heats and let anyone have a go?

It's not about number of heats, it's about the quality of what's run. It's 2017 not 1967, the public barely care about professional speedway let alone second halves, a few extra laps from kids isn't going to entice anyone in.

People are interested in the main event, that's it. There's no harm in second halves for MDL/youngsters to go around, but it ain't solving any fundamental problems.

Edited by CUFC_Brummie

It's not about number of heats, it's about the quality of what's run. It's 2017 not 1967, the public barely care about professional speedway let alone second halves, a few extra laps from kids isn't going to entice anyone in.

People are interested in the main event, that's it. There's no harm in second halves for MDL/youngsters to go around, but it ain't solving any fundamental problems.

Speak for yourself. There are quite a few folk who enjoy watching the youngsters and then following their progress into the higher echelons of the sport. If they are not given early chances where the heck do you think the next generation of riders are going to come from?

• Like 2

I'm sorry - I just think you are wrong.

Of course I could be wrong.

It is all a matter of opinion.

I note your sarcasm. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Speak for yourself. There are quite a few folk who enjoy watching the youngsters and then following their progress into the higher echelons of the sport. If they are not given early chances where the heck do you think the next generation of riders are going to come from?

Yes I used to watch the youngsters whether incorporated within the old fashion second half or a properly organised Junior Meeting.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we were privileged at Oxford when we used to watch the Eastbourne and Peterborough kids as well as the odd grass tracker in the second half due to Oxford's promotional tie up with those promotions.

The same policy continued at White City and when Oxford dropped down a league it was interesting to see potential team members given a trial in the second half.

Great days!

Edited by steve roberts

So you prefer TWO Heats - to an extra FOUR in a Second Half.

It's only two Heats off the main Meeting so what's the problem. Second Halves could be great, as well as beneficial to Speedway by giving youngsters the opportunity for more Track time and the experience of riding in front of the public.

Happiness is 40-38.

I didn't say that.

I said add second half races, but not at the expense of the main meeting.

Since you asked though, I'd prefer two heats of a main meeting than four heats of practice which is all . In fact I'd prefer two heats of a main meeting than 20 heats of practice.