British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

What Are The Five Issues You Would Like Changed In British And World Speedway.?

Why not stick in an extra 10 heats and let anyone have a go?

It's not about number of heats, it's about the quality of what's run. It's 2017 not 1967, the public barely care about professional speedway let alone second halves, a few extra laps from kids isn't going to entice anyone in.

People are interested in the main event, that's it. There's no harm in second halves for MDL/youngsters to go around, but it ain't solving any fundamental problems.

...now there's an idea! I'd give it another go if the opportunity was there!

I'm sorry - I just think you are wrong.

Of course I could be wrong.

It is all a matter of opinion.

I note your sarcasm. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You are wrong, it's not even worth debating.

Wolves have junior races quite often after the main meeting. 95% of the crowd has gone.

So you prefer TWO Heats - to an extra FOUR in a Second Half.

It's only two Heats off the main Meeting so what's the problem. Second Halves could be great, as well as beneficial to Speedway by giving youngsters the opportunity for more Track time and the experience of riding in front of the public.

Happiness is 40-38.

Look at the evidence. When clubs run second halves, how many people stick around to watch? At Swindon, 90% of the crowd would leave after heat 15, suggesting there is very little interest in watching youngsters.

Look at the evidence. When clubs run second halves, how many people stick around to watch? At Swindon, 90% of the crowd would leave after heat 15, suggesting there is very little interest in watching youngsters.

Not as many as 90%, perhaps more like 70% disappeared the last time they tried it.

THAT is their decision, though I do think your percentage of those leaving to be far too high.

I never left before the end of the Second Half as I saw some superb Racing at times. I know that Second Half Final results were not always kocher but some of the displays put on by the Riders were fantastic.

• Like 1

THAT is their decision, though I do think your percentage of those leaving to be far too high.

I never left before the end of the Second Half as I saw some superb Racing at times. I know that Second Half Final results were not always kocher but some of the displays put on by the Riders were fantastic.

I discussed the so-called 'fixed' scratch race finals with a leading rider in the late 1950s for a publication whose title escapes me. :oops::icon_smile_clown:He denied that the ACTUAL races were fixed - it was just that the riders agreed to share the overall prize money for that race equally.

...a figure purely based on observation. Of course a high percentage (whatever the exact figure?) would leave or disappear into the bar after the main event but speaking personally the group I would stand with would take the opportunity to have a good old chin wag putting the speedway world to right in between the races.

I discussed the so-called 'fixed' scratch race finals with a leading rider in the late 1950s for a publication whose title escapes me. :oops::icon_smile_clown:He denied that the ACTUAL races were fixed - it was just that the riders agreed to share the overall prize money for that race equally.

Yes I've read this many times in either of the retro magazines and autobiographical books.

Edited by steve roberts

As well as the juniors/novices/reserves races, there were the Rider of the night heats and final, which produced some terrific individual racing, where team colleagues battled against each other

So there'd be a mix of team and individual speedway during the meeting

A suggestion I've made previously - standardise the Rotn races, three heats, winners and fastest second to the final (as it used to be), and then accumulate the points from the finals throughout the season to decide qualification for "BLRC" end of season event

Makes those races more meaningful, and ensures rider participation post-interval

• Like 2

As well as the juniors/novices/reserves races, there were the Rider of the night heats and final, which produced some terrific individual racing, where team colleagues battled against each other

So there'd be a mix of team and individual speedway during the meeting

A suggestion I've made previously - standardise the Rotn races, three heats, winners and fastest second to the final (as it used to be), and then accumulate the points from the finals throughout the season to decide qualification for "BLRC" end of season event

Makes those races more meaningful, and ensures rider participation post-interval

When the old fashioned Second Half was disbanded prior to the 1985 season Oxford would give their loanees a try out against the main team members...the likes of Kevin Smart, Nigel De'ath and one of the Chessell brothers (can't remember whether it was Gary or Mark?) plus Andrew Silver (Len was Team Manager at Oxford during 1984) with a view to the future.

Kevin, Nigel and Andrew all rode for the main team on a number of occasions...Nigel for a number of seasons.

I remember some terrific Grand Finals over the years...one especially springs to mind between George Hunter and Mike Sampson when the lead changed on a number of occasion...great stuff. Whether it was fixed or not nobody seemed to care.

Briggo always enjoyed his trips to Poole because he always said that if you had a bad main meeting you had the opportunity to make amends in the second half because there was a qualifying race, semi-final and final heat format.

Simmo often said that the final at King's Lynn often featured the 'Stars' three heat leaders...himself, Terry Betts and Howard Cole and although the money was split he said that the racing was competitive because each wanted to beat each other to prove that they were the best!

I recall the Oxford Promoter, Chris Shears, putting on an old style second half during his spell at Cowley in 1995 and it proved popular. However he had his wrists slapped by the BSPA for running against policy!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

1. Better presentation of meetings - entertainment should last tgwo hours, not 15 one minute bursts

2. Better marketing

3. A sensible and transparent average system, produced by people who have rudimentary maths skills

4. Proper fixture planning to minimise rider unavailability

5. an independent ruling body

None of the above would cost anything significant.

If we want to add wishlists:

6. track covers for all tracks

7. better track prep at some tracks

8. a decent sponsor to allow sides to bring back top riders

3. A Team average is set for the whole season. Riders can only be replaced with riders of the same average to when they leave. EG if said rider starts with an average of 9.00 and drops to 7.00. He can only be replaced by a rider on a 7.00 average. To stop fixing of averages."

the issue of course with this is it penalises further teams who start the season poorly, and gives a huge advantage to those who start the season well. I'd suggest getting rid of "like for like" swaps and say any tre-declaration has to be done within the points limit

...like Simmo or apparently Coventry during the Olsen years!

i think you missed the point of Arniegs post, which was in relation to riders letting team mates past, which is a different thing to throwing team points away which is what Simmo did - of course in those days bonus points were included in team averages.

Much easier to artificially lower averages in the days pre the introduction of rolling averages.

• Like 1

1. Better presentation of meetings - entertainment should last tgwo hours, not 15 one minute bursts

2. Better marketing

3. A sensible and transparent average system, produced by people who have rudimentary maths skills

4. Proper fixture planning to minimise rider unavailability

5. an independent ruling body

None of the above would cost anything significant.

If we want to add wishlists:

6. track covers for all tracks

7. better track prep at some tracks

8. a decent sponsor to allow sides to bring back top riders

the issue of course with this is it penalises further teams who start the season poorly, and gives a huge advantage to those who start the season well. I'd suggest getting rid of "like for like" swaps and say any tre-declaration has to be done within the points limit

i think you missed the point of Arniegs post, which was in relation to riders letting team mates past, which is a different thing to throwing team points away which is what Simmo did - of course in those days bonus points were included in team averages.

Much easier to artificially lower averages in the days pre the introduction of rolling averages.

Agree with your 1 - 5...some good points there (ran out of 'likes'!)

Edited by steve roberts

I'd also add that I cant u nderstand people suggesting changing the qualifying system for GPS. Look at this year's GP line up and tell me the organisers don't have it spot on. Look at the racing and tell me the organisers dont have it spot on, and aren't preparing generally great circuits. I genuinely think the calibe of racing in the GPs is as good as the sport has ever had - certainly better than the old World Championship finals/qualifiers.

• Like 2

I'd also add that I cant u nderstand people suggesting changing the qualifying system for GPS. Look at this year's GP line up and tell me the organisers don't have it spot on. Look at the racing and tell me the organisers dont have it spot on, and aren't preparing generally great circuits. I genuinely think the calibe of racing in the GPs is as good as the sport has ever had - certainly better than the old World Championship finals/qualifiers.

That is a matter of opinion wkha1.

It certainly isn't mine.

PS: I pressed the 'Like' button by mistake on this Post. I am going to 'Unlike' it - no offence intended wkha1.

• Like 1

That is a matter of opinion wkha1.

It certainly isn't mine.

PS: I pressed the 'Like' button by mistake on this Post. I am going to 'Unlike' it - no offence intended wkha1.

Out if interest, which world finals do u think provided racing comparable to this years gp series. I can only go off finals 68ish onwards (ie what's available to watch on dvd/online) but can only think of 76, 81 and 90 that stand out for really good racing, and not sure any of those are better than what we've seen this season or last season in the gps.

I used to love going to the old qualifying meetings, but how many of those produced genuinely great racing? Recall a couple of good ic finals watched online from the 70s, the 84 and 85 overseas finals were pretty good.but there were a lot of average meetings as well.

I didn't say that.

I said add second half races, but not at the expense of the main meeting.

Since you asked though, I'd prefer two heats of a main meeting than four heats of practice which is all . In fact I'd prefer two heats of a main meeting than 20 heats of practice.

And the two extra heats from 13 to 15 has clearly been beneficial to attendances. It isn't all about value for money... it's about returning to a formula that served the sport in its finest hour. If you love the sport that much, two races less won't keep you away. And anyhow, what sense in the current 15 heats when you have an interval after a third of the match and then another long pause before the nominated heat (excuse me if I'm wrong, it's ages since I watched a live match!). You feel like you're getting extra value, but it's just keeping you away from home for another 30-45 minutes. Two extra races = 2 minutes.

Edited by moxey63