British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

What Are The Five Issues You Would Like Changed In British And World Speedway.?

I'd also add that I cant u nderstand people suggesting changing the qualifying system for GPS. Look at this year's GP line up and tell me the organisers don't have it spot on. Look at the racing and tell me the organisers dont have it spot on, and aren't preparing generally great circuits. I genuinely think the calibe of racing in the GPs is as good as the sport has ever had - certainly better than the old World Championship finals/qualifiers.

Our main consideration should be UK speedway - let OOFC do what ever they want, its immaterial to the future of the sport here

We need OUR basics putting right - and NOW

Our main consideration should be UK speedway - let OOFC do what ever they want, its immaterial to the future of the sport here

We need OUR basics putting right - and NOW

i disagree, as a fan i want to enjoy world class racing, and the GP series provides that. I'd hope also that all young brits aspire to performing at that level.

I dont see why the GP series needs to be viewed as an issue, rather than an excellent advertisement for the sport. UK speedway could learn a lot ino from the professionalism of the GP presentation. the quality of racing in the uk is generally pretty good, though clearly some tracks are better than others. but even leicester produced a good televised meeting.

Sorry, but OOFC seems to be in decent shape, and can look after itself, whilst UK speedway is at rock bottom

I'd rather see the latter improved, for all the supporters and riders in this country, those with clubs and tracks and those without

And the two extra heats from 13 to 15 has clearly been beneficial to attendances. It isn't all about value for money... it's about returning to a formula that served the sport in its finest hour. If you love the sport that much, two races less won't keep you away. And anyhow, what sense in the current 15 heats when you have an interval after a third of the match and then another long pause before the nominated heat (excuse me if I'm wrong, it's ages since I watched a live match!). You feel like you're getting extra value, but it's just keeping you away from home for another 30-45 minutes. Two extra races = 2 minutes.

Yes it is all about value for money.

Only a raving lunatic would suggest that meetings over 15 heats rather than 13 are a reason for the decline in attendances and an even bigger one suggesting reducing the value on offer would help get more folk through the door!

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

Yes it is all about value for money.

Only a raving lunatic would suggest that meetings over 15 heats rather than 13 are a reason for the decline in attendances and an even bigger one suggesting reducing the value on offer would help get more folk through the door!

I wonder what it is about speedway fans that they think they know everything. There are some that even take their own stop watch device I bet to prove the timekeeper is wrong. Remember, we only have our opinions... even those from a raving lunatic... but we have one thing in common: We all think we're right.

Edited by moxey63

I wonder what it is about speedway fans that they think they know everything. There are some that even take their own stop watch device I bet to prove the timekeeper is wrong. Remember, we only have our opinions... even those from a raving lunatic... but we have one thing in common: We all think we're right.

You don't need to know everything to understand 15 is better value than 13. Although of course value is irrelevant to someone who hasn't been to speedway in decades because they can't get in for free anymore.

Give me 15 meaningful meeting heats every day, there are usually 6 2nd half heats scheduled at Wolves but this is usually reduced to about 4 due to someone demolishing the tapes, can't get bikes started or lengthy delays because the number of riders gets less as the season progresses and means loads of 2 on the trots, I have massive respect for anyone who rides but to be honest the vast majority will always be wobblers that will never reach NJL level and has been mentioned 95% + of the crowd have no interest and have long gone.

You don't need to know everything to understand 15 is better value than 13. Although of course value is irrelevant to someone who hasn't been to speedway in decades because they can't get in for free anymore.

Wow! Least you read my post. Thing is, I pay for BT Sport, which speedway is on, and I still don't watch it. So... er... that defeats your point.

One-nil to moxey!

Edited by moxey63

Wow! Least you read my post. Thing is, I pay for BT Sport, which speedway is on, and I still don't watch it. So... er... that defeats your point.

One-nil to moxey!

Far from beats my point. In fact it confirms it. Spending time on a forum about a sport you don't go to and don't even watch on tv.. hmmm.

Edited by BWitcher

Give me 15 meaningful meeting heats every day, there are usually 6 2nd half heats scheduled at Wolves but this is usually reduced to about 4 due to someone demolishing the tapes, can't get bikes started or lengthy delays because the number of riders gets less as the season progresses and means loads of 2 on the trots, I have massive respect for anyone who rides but to be honest the vast majority will always be wobblers that will never reach NJL level and has been mentioned 95% + of the crowd have no interest and have long gone.

At the end of the day I guess that it's fair to say that Promoters ceased to hold second halves involving the main riders with a view of saving money? Although at Cowley you were able to gain free entry after the main meeting.

The fact that a percentage (whatever the true figure was/is) would leave after the main event is neither here or there because the admission money had already been collected at the commencement of the main event,

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

At the end of the day I guess that it's fair to say that Promoters ceased to hold second halves involving the main riders with a view of saving money.

The fact that a percentage (whatever the true figure was/is) would leave after the main event is neither here or there because the admission money had already been collected at the commencement of the main event,

Precisely!!

• Like 1

Far from beats my point. In fact it confirms it. Spending time on a forum about a sport you don't go to and don't even watch on tv.. hmmm.

Not really. Shedding light on what's wrong with speedway, a sport I got in to watch for free and yet still stopped going, pay BT and still don't watch. I still listen to pop music, more so from years passed, not the drivel of today. I still have a view on music, as I do on speedway.

Unfortunately the boat has long sailed on speedway in this country. Every year they reduce the strength of the top flight and admission stays the same or rises, every year crowds drop further and still folk don't see the pattern. It's been going on for nigh on 15 years now.

And you call me a lunatic for echoing exactly what you are saying. I am genuinely confused now!

You are wrong, it's not even worth debating.

Wolves have junior races quite often after the main meeting. 95% of the crowd has gone.

But at least you retain an interest and stay to watch the juniors, along with the remaining 5%. So you are interested in 13 heats and, more so, juniors?

Even more confused... I need a bit of cold water on my face. Speak soon.

Edited by moxey63

So, you don't attend the sport and you don't watch it on TV yet feel you are qualified to say what is wrong with it.

Brilliant.

At the end of the day I guess that it's fair to say that Promoters ceased to hold second halves involving the main riders with a view of saving money? Although at Cowley you were able to gain free entry after the main meeting.

Of course it is relevant if you were to reduce the number of races in the main meeting as Moxey suggests and add extra races in a 2nd half. You'd be angering 90-95% of your fan base.

By all means have 2nd halves, I would never say no to that, but not at the expense of races in the main meeting. It's beyond me how anyone could see that as a bad thing.

So, you don't attend the sport and you don't watch it on TV yet feel you are qualified to say what is wrong with it.

Brilliant.

Of course it is relevant if you were to reduce the number of races in the main meeting as Moxey suggests and add extra races in a 2nd half. You'd be angering 90-95% of your fan base.

By all means have 2nd halves, I would never say no to that, but not at the expense of races in the main meeting. It's beyond me how anyone could see that as a bad thing.

If you followed my thread you'll realise that I've generally been referring to the old second halves prior to 1985 when they ceased and thereafter Junior Matches were run.

Edited by steve roberts

If you followed my thread you'll realise that I've generally been referring to the old second halves prior to 1985 when they ceased and thereafter Junior Matches were run.

I have and I agree, no harm in them. They're not going to make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things though.

The sport simply has to get to grips with the doubling up issue, it's insane that top flight heat leaders are also racing in the second division. Although the teams are still stronger in the top flight, a large percentage of the riders also race in the 2nd division. That is problematic in more than just the obvious issues in terms of fixture clashes with riders missing and the lack of identity with teams but also from a general 'interest' point of view. In the past I would be tempted to along to a National League (as was) fixture as it was a different set of riders, some of whom I may not have seen ride before. Now, it's just the same old riders spread across both leagues.

• Like 1