British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

What Are The Five Issues You Would Like Changed In British And World Speedway.?

I have and I agree, no harm in them. They're not going to make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things though.

The sport simply has to get to grips with the doubling up issue, it's insane that top flight heat leaders are also racing in the second division. Although the teams are still stronger in the top flight, a large percentage of the riders also race in the 2nd division. That is problematic in more than just the obvious issues in terms of fixture clashes with riders missing and the lack of identity with teams but also from a general 'interest' point of view. In the past I would be tempted to along to a National League (as was) fixture as it was a different set of riders, some of whom I may not have seen ride before. Now, it's just the same old riders spread across both leagues.

I didn't realise until recently, but the entire GB team races in the Second Division. That seems very wrong to me.

• Like 1

I didn't realise until recently, but the entire GB team races in the Second Division. That seems very wrong to me.

I obviously can't comment on present day speedway and it's regulations and/or make up except to say that 'Doubling Up' (of sorts) was a feature going way back to the days of the introduction in 1968 of the Second Division. Riders were 'encouraged' to ride in the First Division (especially in the days when a Promotion had a foot in both camps) and it worked successfully back then producing many future British international rated riders and my team, Oxford, operated such a system to great effect. However when the old Second Division re-branded itself the flow of talent began to diminish to a degree.

...fast forward to the present and the scenario you comment upon does seem very bizarre however. Is this a reflection on the lack of genuine World Class British riders at present?

However, like most things within speedway, it appears from what I read, to have got very much out of hand and there appears to be a 'Horses for Courses' policy in place...hence the dilemma the sport now faces together with other issues that have been well documented elsewhere.

Edited by steve roberts

I obviously can't comment on present day speedway and it's regulations and/or make up except to say that 'Doubling Up' (of sorts) was a feature going way back to the days of the introduction in 1968 of the Second Division. Riders were 'encouraged' to ride in the First Division (especially in the days when a Promotion had a foot in both camps) and it worked successfully back then producing many future British international rated riders and my team, Oxford, operated such a system to great effect. However when the old Second Division re-branded itself the flow of talent began to diminish to a degree.

...fast forward to the present and the scenario you comment upon does seem very bizarre however. Is this a reflection on the lack of genuine World Class British riders at present?

However, like most things within speedway, it appears from what I read, to have got very much out of hand and there appears to be a 'Horses for Courses' policy in place...hence the dilemma the sport now faces together with other issues that have been well documented elsewhere.

I think it is a reflection on a lack of riders.

Not long ago they had the doubling-up, where two riders shared one berth. Then, suddenly, it just went crazy and 'doubling down' began.

Nick Morris, for example, was second in the top division averages when he signed for Berwick.

• Like 1

I used to love the second halves and for me there is still a place for them or maybe four junior races.Myself i would run the junior races in amongst the 15 heat meeting not after the meeting it could easily be done with a prompt 7.30 start I was talking to my mate Hagonshocker at Swindon last night we both said if speedway did go to one big league how that could affect our talented crop of youngsters coming through.?Could it hinder there development.? the likes of Brennan,Jenkins,Hume,Rowe,JPB,Bickley,Woodihull,Hampshire, ( ect) would the gap be to big from a developement league to a fully fledged one big league how could you implement these riders in without destroying there progress.

I used to love the second halves and for me there is still a place for them or maybe four junior races.Myself i would run the junior races in amongst the 15 heat meeting not after the meeting it could easily be done with a prompt 7.30 start I was talking to my mate Hagonshocker at Swindon last night we both said if speedway did go to one big league how that could affect our talented crop of youngsters coming through.?Could it hinder there development.? the likes of Brennan,Jenkins,Hume,Rowe,JPB,Bickley,Woodihull,Hampshire, ( ect) would the gap be to big from a developement league to a fully fledged one big league how could you implement these riders in without destroying there progress.

If there was one big league, it would have to be at Championship standard, otherwise it would be unaffordable for the bulk of teams to compete. This therefore should prevent youngsters from moving up from NL to Championship. It would of course have an impact on the top British riders, as they would be lightyears behind our foreign counterparts.

If there was one big league, it would have to be at Championship standard, otherwise it would be unaffordable for the bulk of teams to compete. This therefore should prevent youngsters from moving up from NL to Championship. It would of course have an impact on the top British riders, as they would be lightyears behind our foreign counterparts.

I would be happy with that as long as the product was right and the entertainment value there it could work. Edited by Sidney the robin

I would be happy with that as long as the product was right and the entertainment value there it could work.

I think that's the challenge though. The more you try to force things together, the less competitive and entertaining it becomes. For me, the draft ruined the Elite League. There was simply too much of a chasm between the top riders and the draft riders. Now it is even worse, with National League riders filling reserve berths against GP heatleaders. The racing is simply no longer competitive.

The SWC was a perfect example of how having four relatively equal riders produces great racing.

• Like 1

1. Matt Ford

2. Buster Chapman

3. Doubling up

I'll think about 4 and 5.

I think that's the challenge though. The more you try to force things together, the less competitive and entertaining it becomes. For me, the draft ruined the Elite League. There was simply too much of a chasm between the top riders and the draft riders. Now it is even worse, with National League riders filling reserve berths against GP heatleaders. The racing is simply no longer competitive.

The SWC was a perfect example of how having four relatively equal riders produces great racing.

Doyle for me would be the only sacrifice as he would be to good Lindgren/Holder are good but not at his level.Therefore there could be anough of equal ability to spread around it could be exciting times British speedway has to change.

I disagree with your comments on racing under the draft. Because of the heat format generally u had riders of a comparable standard and the racing was good. The issue was that they didn't address the skewed averages resulting from the format. This could have been addressed by anyone with a rudimentary understanding of maths.

While there are now instances of 2pt no riders coming up against GP riders, that's no more of a mismatch than was common in the 80s when I started following the sport. Barry Ayres v Eric Gundersen. Glen Hornby v hans Nielsen.

• Like 2

Doyle for me would be the only sacrifice as he would be to good Lindgren/Holder are good but not at his level.Therefore there could be anough of equal ability to spread around it could be exciting times British speedway has to change.

You'd never get buy in from the lower Championship teams if they had to line up against opposition fielding the likes of Lindgren and Holder. There is no way Redcar, Berwick or Workington (for example) would be able to afford a competitive team if you allowed riders of that strength.

You'd never get buy in from the lower Championship teams if they had to line up against opposition fielding the likes of Lindgren and Holder. There is no way Redcar, Berwick or Workington (for example) would be able to afford a competitive team if you allowed riders of that strength.

That is only two riders though Matt not much of a problem then is it ? you can even sacrifice those riders and have a competetive league with clubs being run prudently.
  • Like 1

That is only two riders though Matt not much of a problem then is it ? you can even sacrifice those riders and have a competetive league with clubs being run prudently.

I think you'd draw the line at any rider with an average above 8 in the Premiership. Don't forget, in order for there to be enough riders, you'd have to bring in more juniors to fill the lower orders of team.

Of course, the alternative is smaller teams (say 6 or even 5) and a completely revamped race format.

The other advantage of removing the "top" riders is that several Championship teams race on Saturday's and Sunday's which mean more clashes with individual and Polish meetings.

I think you'd draw the line at any rider with an average above 8 in the Premiership. Don't forget, in order for there to be enough riders, you'd have to bring in more juniors to fill the lower orders of team.

Of course, the alternative is smaller teams (say 6 or even 5) and a completely revamped race format.

The other advantage of removing the "top" riders is that several Championship teams race on Saturday's and Sunday's which mean more clashes with individual and Polish meetings.

It would have to be above 8 there has to be a place for the likes of Cook/Masters.

If u are going that route then I think u need to have an 8 team elite league with 2 home 2 away matches. 3 Brits per team and in case of fixture clashes it has priority.

All EL teams also run either a 2nd tier or NL side. The 2nd tier would likely not have any GP riders though id still see a place for the likes of cook Harris etc. 4 Brits per side including 2 under 23 reserves