British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ReadingRacer2017

Reading Racers All-time 1-7 & Dream Signing That Never Happened

Please note I only started watching the Racers in 1990, so some legends of smallmead may be missing.

1. Todd Wiltshire - 1990/1991 Best trapper in the business

2. Ulrich Ostergaard - Pretty much unbeatable home and away in 2008

3. Per Jonsson - The King, so good you wanted him to miss the start occasionally

4. Janusz Kolodziej - Will never forget the mid-race fist in the air, as he passed Leigh Adams at Smallmead

5. Matej Zagar - Most stylish rider seen round Smallmead since Per

6. Lee Richardson - Still remember his debut, few years later the improvement was remarkable

7. Danny Bird - Best Trapper since Todd, could also pass. Sad ending

Dream Signing - Jason Crump

• Like 2

Please note I only started watching the Racers in 1990, so some legends of smallmead may be missing.

3. Per Jonsson - The King, so good you wanted him to miss the start occasionally

4. Janusz Kolodziej - Will never forget the mid-race fist in the air, as he passed Leigh Adams at Smallmead

6. Lee Richardson - Still remember his debut, few years later the improvement was remarkable

Remember Danny Bird riding for the IOW...what was the sad ending?

Blimey. Thanks for the starting this thread...1990 was my first season aswell.

I still remember Lee's debut aswell - what a turnaround.

My 1-7..

1. Per - along the lines of what you said, when he gated, it was frankly boring! Go on Per, miss the start... reel them in!

2. Dave Mullett

3. Jan Andersson

4. Janusz - i remember his first ride, running a last i think, but riding in such way that had everyone so excited.. an amazing rider for us in the short time he was with us.

5. Todd - my all time favourite rider.

6. Matej Zagar

7. Andrew Appleton

Rider i wished we'd signed... - i'll also say Crump - as a rider i did not like him one bit, but i will always remember him guesting for us multiple times when Per was injured and he spoke so sincerely on the PA at Reading letting us know he would cover Per as much as he could as he respected him so much. I can remember being choked as he said it all those years ago, and to be honest it still chokes me a bit now.

Special mention for Mr Phil Morris who was a talisman for us both on and off track for years, and i will always be thankful to him and forum member Big H for saving me from a beating at the hands of a large number of workington fans one night on a northern tour at that pub they all went to after the meetings up there!

And of course, there can only be one team manager... Tim Sugar. Unassuming, tactically astute and most certainly a legend as far as the history of the club goes.

Cheers

Tom.

Edited by The Doctor...
  • Like 2

Failed drugs test- he's still banned !!

Failed drugs test- he's still banned !!

Didn't know that...thanks for the information.

Crikey... Surprised nobody mentioned Anders Michanek, Dave Jessup, John Davis, Bernie Leigh, Dickie May, Geoff Curtis.

I'm easily amused but I can remember turning up at Smallmead for a wasps away match I think it was a spring gold cup final 2nd leg on asunday afternoon , and seeing a sign something like" Smallmead rubbish tip this way" kept us amused for the whole afternoon.

Good days though when speedway was proper speedway

• Like 1

Crikey... Surprised nobody mentioned Anders Michanek, Dave Jessup, John Davis, Bernie Leigh, Dickie May, Geoff Curtis.

I'm easily amused but I can remember turning up at Smallmead for a wasps away match I think it was a spring gold cup final 2nd leg on asunday afternoon , and seeing a sign something like" Smallmead rubbish tip this way" kept us amused for the whole afternoon.

Good days though when speedway was proper speedway

Way before my time i'm afraid. I'm sure Racers and Royals and Wackie will put their 1-7's up with some earlier names than youngsters like me.

Way before my time i'm afraid. I'm sure Racers and Royals and Wackie will put their 1-7's up with some earlier names than youngsters like me.

My favourite "Racers' were the late Geoff Curtis (rumoured to be joining Oxford before his untimely death) and , of course, Dag Lovaas!

The best seven for me (no order) was Michanek,Jonsson,Lovaas,Andersson,Jessup,Davis,Zagar ----------------/. my favourite seven )was Michanek,Jonsson,Lovaas, Curtis,Holloway,Glanz,Mullett.

Edited by Sidney the robin

My favourite seven Racers:

1. Anders Michanek

2. Jan Andersson

3. Todd Wiltshire

4. Per Jonsson

5. Phil Morris

6. Dave Mullett

7. Ulrich Ostergaard

All good guys to work with as well.

• Like 1

My favourite seven Racers:

1. Anders Michanek

2. Jan Andersson

3. Todd Wiltshire

4. Per Jonsson

5. Phil Morris

6. Dave Mullett

7. Ulrich Ostergaard

All good guys to work with as well.

Phil Morris came over as a very articulate person and developed into a good club man after the raw edges were smoothed out.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Mine:

Doncaster

Jonsson

Andersson

Morton

Mullett

Hunt

Schwartz

Dream signing: John Cook

Having given this some thought I think I would go with the following;

1. P. Jonsson

2. J. Davis

3. D. Jessup

4. A. Michanek

5. J. Andersson

6. B. Schwartz

7. M. Zagar

Some great riders left out many mentioned above my thread but I would like to give 2 special mentions, 1 to The German rider we had in Hans Wasserman who appeared if memory serves me right to be hitting some form when a serious injury halted his career and the other rider would be the American Denny Pyeatt who was hitting form when he was tragically taken from us in a track crash at Hackney. Would have been very interesting watching them progress had they had the chance.

• Like 1

1, jonsson

2, mullett

3, j andersson

4,brannefors

5,zagar

6, morris

7,shirra.

honorary mention to tim hunt, who tho wasn't a superstar rider certainly knew how to chuck it in.