British Speedway Forum

Not “always”, no. Jason was always second best to Chris Holder at IOW and slipped further behind at Poole, lacking the basic skill of staying on his bike. At Somerset in the lower league his gating was good enough to make him a top rider, but in the Elite League he suffered from reckless moves, too much leg-trailing and a lack of concentration. It was only at Birmingham that he tidied himself up and went from second string to number 1. I suspect then that he realised that with a bit more fitness, focus and hard work he could be a top international rider.

And he did it.

Similar to Tai, who was going backwards until he focused.

A very good summary :t:

Ok its now 4.30 p.m and the reports were that both MF & NM would be at the pop up shop today for its opening. I assume therefore plenty of opportunity for all those that live locally to ask some searching questions of both assuming that Matt and Neil talk to each other.

There are questions they could have been asked without giving away the full team.

Questions such as:

Has the 2 Brit rue been abolished for 2018?? and if so is there any rule i.e must there be 1 Brit or no need to have any Brits ??

Has Woryna who is now a Club asset (I assume) been given his 2016 GSA i.e 4.65 (Not too difficult a question to ask and doesn't actually say if he is in the team or not, Just asks for clarification of his GSA

Has Matt now been given a list of the riders GSA's he may want to sign.

What will young overseas riders say under 21 who have never ridden in UK be given as assessed GSA'S ??

Similar question to say riders over 21 who have never ridden in UK like KP of Leicester - Similar question for riders such as Vaculik

Will riders who last rode here in 2016 still be assessed as per their 2016 GSA. Also what about riders who rode here before 2016 like both Pawlickis and numerous others one could list.

If I didn't live over 3.25 to 3.75 hours from Poole and lived locally, these are the kind of questions I would have been firing at both Matt & Neil. I would not expect them of course to name riders but it would at least give some clarification of some of the info we are all a bit short on.

So far I have seen nothing posted on the Poole 2018 BSF to indicate anyone has even been to the shop let alone asked any questions.

Quite a few in the shop today. Matt was there a gent as always. No sarcasm please. Middlo was just leaving for work when I got there.

So I bought my son a top. Good price as well really. I bought a metal badge and stickers for the car. The badge on the clothing is on the large size however.

I know a couple of things nobody else probably does yet.......

Re sponsorship for Poole and about TV deal for next season.....

The latter is likely no deal and the former is as you were from 2017. As for the other questions above you'll have to wait till they want to tell you.

Edited by Mr X

Quite a few in the shop today. Matt was there a gent as always. No sarcasm please. Middlo was just leaving for work when I got there.

So I bought my son a top. Good price as well really. I bought a metal badge and stickers for the car. The badge on the clothing is on the large size however.

I know a couple of things nobody else probably does yet.......

Re sponsorship for Poole and about TV deal for next season.....

The latter is no deal and the former is as you were from 2017. As for the other questions above you'll have to wait till they want to tell you.

Well on the TV deal that doesn't say if there is not a deal period or just that there isn't one yet as I would have thought BT wanted to know outcome and details of the AGM before entering into discussions with the BSPA if they are interested to continue in some format. I would expect hat to come out later or if no deal at all, then in line with anything negative on Speedway the BSPA will just stay silent.

As for the sponsorship comment that surprises me as I got the impression (maybe I am wrong) that the Volvo deal may only be a fraction of what the previous multiple season deal was. Also a little confused as Matt Ford's own comments in the Echo stated and I quote:

“There are some very exciting things in the pipeline, bigger and better things than have ever happened before.

I didn't think he meant riders as he then went on to mention new personnel coming on board in the sentence below the above.

As for the comment re my other questions that I will have to read the Speedway Star.... Is it only the Speedway Star then that is allowed access to what should be fairly standard information on the sport.

If such information is known on the 2 Brit rule and riders assessed av etc then I cant see why its such a secret. Even what the guidelines are would be better than a total lack on information.

so because they havent hit the dizzy heights they shouldnt be allowed in the top flight??? you speak total crap!!!

Stuart Robson was British number two in 2001 finishing ahead of Dugard, Havvy, Nicholls, Stoney, Louis, Wilson, Smith, Rico, Norris and Barker. Yes he isnt as good as he was so in your mind he should be thrown out of the league for a young foreigner!!! You are talking total total rubbish

Who said they shouldn't be allowed in the top league?

No wishing about it. Matt was left very dissapointed last season.

And the season before.

Similar to Tai, who was going backwards until he focused.

Not sure Tai was ever going backwards. He increased his average year on year till 2013. I'd say he more of less maintained that promise but delivered in 2013.

Otherwise good summary. :t:

Ok its now 4.30 p.m and the reports were that both MF & NM would be at the pop up shop today for its opening. I assume therefore plenty of opportunity for all those that live locally to ask some searching questions of both assuming that Matt and Neil talk to each other.

There are questions they could have been asked without giving away the full team.

Questions such as:

Has the 2 Brit rue been abolished for 2018?? and if so is there any rule i.e must there be 1 Brit or no need to have any Brits ??

Has Woryna who is now a Club asset (I assume) been given his 2016 GSA i.e 4.65 (Not too difficult a question to ask and doesn't actually say if he is in the team or not, Just asks for clarification of his GSA

What will young overseas riders say under 21 who have never ridden in UK be given as assessed GSA'S ??

Similar question to say riders over 21 who have never ridden in UK like KP of Leicester - Similar question for riders such as Vaculik

Will riders who last rode here in 2016 still be assessed as per their 2016 GSA. Also what about riders who rode here before 2016 like both Pawlickis and numerous others one could list.

If I didn't live over 3.25 to 3.75 hours from Poole and lived locally, these are the kind of questions I would have been firing at both Matt & Neil. I would not expect them of course to name riders but it would at least give some clarification of some of the info we are all a bit short on.

So far I have seen nothing posted on the Poole 2018 BSF to indicate anyone has even been to the shop let alone asked any questions.

I was there as well. No point in asking questions we will know soon enough..

Stating facts again. What have riders like Auty, Robson & S. Lambert done in there careers?

On the Speedway GB website as a declared rider.

I think the SGB website is a bit premature, the club hasn't announced it yet.

There is only half a dozen British riders who's careers could go somewhere on the European tracks. No point in giving riders like Auty, S. Lambert & Robson team spots in the top flight because they've been around for ages and never got anywhere. Just a waste of a team place in the top flight.

Let them all ride in the Championship whilst the Premiership can sign up and coming Poles and Swedes to put on a good show.

The Polish produce world class riders regularly. So giving them a team spot is actually going to further there careers.

"The Polish produce world class riders regularly" .....By doing exactly what you're suggesting we shouldn't do !

Namely giving young talented riders an opportunity at top level clubs

Edited by WestGorton1884
  • Like 2

Questions such as:

Never was a 2 Brit limit last season, it was "2 riders who have ridden in or qualify to ride in NL"

• Like 1

Never was a 2 Brit limit last season, it was "2 riders who have ridden in or qualify to ride in NL"

Still doesn't answer my question though.

Is the rule done away with or still in effect for 2018.

If its done away with then whichever way you cut it, this will in effect mean you don't really have to put any Brits in your team ??

I see no kyle in the ipswich team next season

Hmm, yes i wonder what dear old Gavan thinks about that as he was pretty vocal when Poole did it!!

Hmm, yes i wonder what dear old Gavan thinks about that as he was pretty vocal when Poole did it!!

A great shame that Kyle is not back for us. Welicome back as a Witch anytime 👍

We will have to make do with just the 4 Brits 😜