British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, BurntFaceMan said:

The coffee shop is a terrible idea. Waste of money and will achieve nothing.

Although its not going to happen, for the life of me I fail to see how such an idea is terrible. 

Hundreds of thousands of holiday makers visit the area during the summer months and the major majority would have no idea who or what Poole Speedway is.  A coffee shop/cafe in a popular area of the town could introduce new people to the sport. The opportunity to witness some racing on large screens whilst enjoying a frapachinno and the opportunity for the club to make a ticket sale or sell a piece of clothing (clearly it would have to be very stylish for a non speedway fan to purchase but those retro designed shirts look bloody cool)

Having a good online presence is important but it won’t bring in many or any new bums on seats on race night. Mostly it is preaching to the converted when there is a mass of untapped potential customers walking about aimlessly wondering what they are going to do when Pirates are riding just up the road.

just my opinion.

There is room for both, but it would need money being invested which is where the stumbling block is.

Sad to see the passing of odd fossengen many a supporters idol in years gone by 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ray c said:

was my first hero when I first started going

2 hours ago, ray c said:

Had the pleasure of a lift from Odd from Poole to Glasgow for the Nordic-British Final at Hampden. R.I.P. my friend.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Although its not going to happen, for the life of me I fail to see how such an idea is terrible. 

Hundreds of thousands of holiday makers visit the area during the summer months and the major majority would have no idea who or what Poole Speedway is.  A coffee shop/cafe in a popular area of the town could introduce new people to the sport. The opportunity to witness some racing on large screens whilst enjoying a frapachinno and the opportunity for the club to make a ticket sale or sell a piece of clothing (clearly it would have to be very stylish for a non speedway fan to purchase but those retro designed shirts look bloody cool)

Having a good online presence is important but it won’t bring in many or any new bums on seats on race night. Mostly it is preaching to the converted when there is a mass of untapped potential customers walking about aimlessly wondering what they are going to do when Pirates are riding just up the road.

just my opinion.

Because attracting 3, 4, 5 or even 20 people from a local cafe to attend an event that they are unlikely to ever attend again is not a good approach to marketing. It won't grow the sport in the slightest.

• Like 1

Social media is nothing to do with preaching to the converted. If you spend a little bit of time and money on the right material you can reach 1 million+ people on social media. This isn't guess work, it's based on me being CTO for a company with a £10m+ turnover generated almost entirely from social media.

A cafe will do nothing. A sustained and committed social media strategy involving each and every club could save the entire sport.

• Like 2

There is a reason speedway teams don't have shop presence or coffee shops. 

It's too small fry sport to make it work.

its all small fry sport , until we make it bigger .

It's all good locally imo, if it gets more punters into the cafe and in turn into the club why not... Poole already have a fish n chip shop which offers a "speedway special" on race nights so this idea just adds to the club's presence in town... 

I think somewhere like Poole which is so holidaymaker-rich in the summer months can only benefit from some kind of speedway presence in the town centre. Whether a coffee shop is the best idea I'm not sure but in essence it's a good concept.

On 12/28/2017 at 7:56 PM, Skidder1 said:

Disagree about a permanent shop. Much better to have a consistent proactive and interactive website with substantial social media activity which can also be advertised via more traditional methods around the town and wider catchment areas.

Improved brand awareness is one thing but has to be supported by consistently good social media activity and up-to-date web news.

Social media is an echo chamber. How do you get the message outside of speedway regulars who are likely going to be the only people who follow Poole on Twitter/Facebook? 

• Like 1

Simple. get a database or several from other sources. Firstly try data from other sports -Poole have good relationships with other sports clubs - use the local print/audio/ local and regional tv media as well. Start an official (or support an unofficial) fan podcast.

If you want a younger audience then target the college and University populations with special offers via twitter, facebook etc etc.

Of course you have to provide the correctly packaged product once you've got them to attend............in the hope that they'll want to return on a regular basis!!:shock:

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

A pirate themed coffee shop on the coast? Never gonna work. :)

• Haha 1