British Speedway Forum

5 minutes ago, BurntFaceMan said:

And what is the source of this news?

A pretty good one! 

Holder has given from today to sort out his UK team spot. 

Just now, BurntFaceMan said:

Facebook controls what you see on your timeline. It's a selection of content that Facebook selects for you based on the popularity of the content, how often you interact with certain pages and the content which advertisers have paid to deliver directly to you. 

And yet I still filter out 99% of it. Maybe I need better friends?

2 minutes ago, MattK said:

And yet I still filter out 99% of it. Maybe I need better friends?

You might think you do, but it's very unlikely that you do. At very least you're in the minority.

The only control you have is to unfollow a page or person. Just take a look at any Facebook page and it will clearly show you how many people like the page and how many people follow it. For example, take a look at SpeedwayGB. They currently have 16,323 likes, of which 16,065 of those are following them. That means that less than 1.6% of their followers actually elect to filter out their posts.

So even if you do filter 99% of it, you're in the under 2% who do, and social media marketers aren't trying to target the likes of you anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Booey boy said:

He gets all his inside info from twitter

I follow Chris holder on twitter and I haven't seen it ?

1 hour ago, BurntFaceMan said:

You might think you do, but it's very unlikely that you do. At very least you're in the minority.

The only control you have is to unfollow a page or person. Just take a look at any Facebook page and it will clearly show you how many people like the page and how many people follow it. For example, take a look at SpeedwayGB. They currently have 16,323 likes, of which 16,065 of those are following them. That means that less than 1.6% of their followers actually elect to filter out their posts.

So even if you do filter 99% of it, you're in the under 2% who do, and social media marketers aren't trying to target the likes of you anyway.

You clearly know what you are talking about with social media. But if attracting new fans to attend a meeting was so simple, why is it not being exploited to the hilt and the grandstands packed out with 6 deep on the bends? Clearly what is currently being done on Facebook and twitter isn’t working.

Seriously, why don’t you give Matt Ford a call and arrange a meeting with him to demonstrate what you can do to pack out Wimborne Road next season? If you can bring in hundreds of new fans, I am sure Matt Ford would reward you very well.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, ray c said:

I follow Chris holder on twitter and I haven't seen it ?

Last I heard Holder didn’t want to ride for Poole as his brother had been booted out, and preferred to give the UK a miss.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

17 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Last I heard Holder didn’t want to ride for Poole as his brother had been booted out, and preferred to give the UK a miss.

What’s going on with Holder these days ? A couple of years ago I would have said Poole was in his DNA but he seem# to have lost his way now, in more ways than one. Has Darcey s injury and Dave Watts retirement got. something to do with it , being without his mates.? Or would I be wrong to suggest th3 younger Holder is a package of trouble and causing problems ?

Jack Holder was booted out at the end of the season for disrespecting his boss on a couple of occassions and having a bad attitude in the pits. Calling his boss a see you next tuesday is never good thing to do.  And I heard he did have a couple of warnings. 

Problem then moved to Chris wanting to ride with his brother over here and tried to get Jack back in the Poole team but Matt was having none of it. So when Jack went to Somerset, Chris said he will ride with him there. But Matt wanted Chris in the Poole team so the only way he could do that is if So erset stumped up 25 grand for his contract. Somerset declined and that was that. 

So now it seems Chris Holder has a choice. Either ride for Poole, or try to get fixed up at another club who are willing to buy his contract.  Rumours are about that Chris Holder will now not ride in the UK in 2018. I hope that’s not true as he has been a very good servant to British speedway over the years. I would rather see him at another club than miss the UK altogether.

Matt has played hard ball over Jack Holder and rightly so. The lad is still young but has some growing up to do. Perhaps in the future they can patch things up but not at the moment. 

Chris Holder is still very populat at Poole and I for one would very much like to see him in Poole colours next season. But only if he is committed to the cause and not going through the motions like KK last season.

3 hours ago, BurntFaceMan said:

That's a fundamental misunderstanding of how social media marketing works. It's not voodoo, it's a tried and tested formula that will grow the sport. A speedway themed coffee shop in Poole will only attract the old codgers that are already attending every week, whilst the young hip market you're trying to reach is sat in the Starbucks down the road scrolling through Facebook on their mobile phone.

Before you get started... this is a long post. But for those who aren't aware of how exactly social media works, it should prove an interesting read for you.

So the question... How do you get the message outside of speedway regulars who are likely going to be the only people who follow Poole on Twitter/Facebook?

Every time you interact with something on Facebook, whether it be a like, comment or share, those items are then also shown to your friends. Say you have 200 friends on Facebook, and you click the like button on a cat video, your one like therefore has the potential to reach your 200 friends. Say 2 of those friends also like that video, and they have 200 friends each, there is now another 400 people who have seen your post. In the industry we call this "reach". 

Now say all the clubs start promoting the Speedway GB Facebook page. It is being printed in every programme, it's being shown on every electronic display board and the announcers at every single club are telling you at each meeting to visit the Speedway GB Facebook page and hit that like button. Maybe you encourage them by saying that every month one lucky follower will win a family ticket? Merchandise? Etc.

Now say you've managed to build that page up to 50,000 followers. They've already got 16,000 followers so it's more than doable. You then create a short (professional, none of this amateur tosh) 60 second clip packed full of all the best bits of speedway. Some epic passes, some fighting between the riders, some scenes of packed grandstands, a few big crashes, and you share that to your Facebook page. Now your 50,000 followers interact with the video by hitting the like button, commenting or sharing. That video is then likely to be displayed to many thousands more people. That's how a Facebook page with 50,000 followers can reach 250,000 people or more with one post. A chunk of those people will also like the page. Rinse and repeat.

And the best part? You can now advertise to each and every one of these followers, every single day of the year and it won't cost a PENNY. Not only can you advertise to each and every one of them, but you can also segment your posts so that they are only seen by people living in certain regions. You can therefore plug every single meeting in advance and only local people will see the post. Social media works. 

And that's just one Facebook page. You get every club doing this, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat and you start giving away free passes, free merchandise, sharing epic clips and generally interacting with the fans and before you know it you have a marketing powerhouse at your fingertips and it's not cost you more than the annual wage of 1 or 2 staff members split between all the clubs. 

This coffee shop nonsense, although a nice idea, is just another step backwards. It will be another waste of money with little to no return, that will only further convince the dinosaurs in this industry that advertising and marketing doesn't work. 

Except this fails at the first hurdle because they’ve blocked more fans than they’ve ever interacted with.

55 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You clearly know what you are talking about with social media. But if attracting new fans to attend a meeting was so simple, why is it not being exploited to the hilt and the grandstands packed out with 6 deep on the bends? Clearly what is currently being done on Facebook and twitter isn’t working.

Seriously, why don’t you give Matt Ford a call and arrange a meeting with him to demonstrate what you can do to pack out Wimborne Road next season? If you can bring in hundreds of new fans, I am sure Matt Ford would reward you very well.

I have spoken to Matt in the past but it fell on deaf ears. I have spoken with Keith Chapman recently and he was interested but I haven't had chance to explore it any further yet. I am however working on a very exciting project with Wayne at Go Speed but I cannot say much about it at the moment. Hopefully I'll have a lot more to talk about soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Social media will always win over a coffee shop - To do retail well costs a lot of money and with speedway as its primary focus you will put a lot of people off who arnt into or dont know about the sport off going in in the forst place.
Social media is very affordable and can be managed for a low cost, then you let your fans do the bulk of the work.

One thing i know they do in Poland is visit Schools and charitable organisations and give back to the community - This obviously isnt just good will but it shows kids the sport and all of us who have kids know they have dragged us along to stuff we didnt really want to go to! Give out a few free kids tickets and they will have to come with a parent - May hook a few long term supporters too.

3 hours ago, Pirate Rich said:

What about doing something at the bike night, which I presume still happens on the Quay every Tuesday from about April? I have attended it a few times and never even seen a poster advertising the speedway! Surely it would be possible to have a bike on display at least, maybe hand some promotional leaflets out. There are always hundreds of people there who obviously have an interest in motorcycles.

I did this for Poole Speedway every Tuesday Bike Night for seven years.  I would take my van, logo-ed for Poole Speedway, sponsored by Rias & Castle Cover.  I would take four bikes, such as 1952 JAP, and current ones of Adams, Lindback & Rickardsson (or others that may have been of interest).  I showed action DVD's on a flat screen, (powered by a Honda generator), under a gazebo.  I had leaflets with map and other relevant details, again sponsored, plus an "A" board with the following nights fixture, and admission charges. It was great, because there were always holiday makers there, looking to spend money, and I saw many the following evening at the Stadium over the years.  I also used to visit many schools in the area, as well as various fetes etc, not only locally, but further afield at times. I also had many displays in the Dolphin Centre over the years.  I'm sure it helped speedway in general, and Poole Speedway in particular.  

C:\Users\Tim\Pictures\2007_07_10\IMG_1562.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poolebolton said:

So in actual news. 

Chris Holder was meeting Matt Ford today or Tommorrow to discuss a team spot!! 

Where? Rye House, Leicester or Poole??  ha ha;)  All this 'giving UK a miss' is bullrubbish because of his visa!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BurntFaceMan said:

That's a fundamental misunderstanding of how social media marketing works. It's not voodoo, it's a tried and tested formula that will grow the sport. A speedway themed coffee shop in Poole will only attract the old codgers that are already attending every week, whilst the young hip market you're trying to reach is sat in the Starbucks down the road scrolling through Facebook on their mobile phone.

Before you get started... this is a long post. But for those who aren't aware of how exactly social media works, it should prove an interesting read for you.

So the question... How do you get the message outside of speedway regulars who are likely going to be the only people who follow Poole on Twitter/Facebook?

Every time you interact with something on Facebook, whether it be a like, comment or share, those items are then also shown to your friends. Say you have 200 friends on Facebook, and you click the like button on a cat video, your one like therefore has the potential to reach your 200 friends. Say 2 of those friends also like that video, and they have 200 friends each, there is now another 400 people who have seen your post. In the industry we call this "reach". 

Now say all the clubs start promoting the Speedway GB Facebook page. It is being printed in every programme, it's being shown on every electronic display board and the announcers at every single club are telling you at each meeting to visit the Speedway GB Facebook page and hit that like button. Maybe you encourage them by saying that every month one lucky follower will win a family ticket? Merchandise? Etc.

Now say you've managed to build that page up to 50,000 followers. They've already got 16,000 followers so it's more than doable. You then create a short (professional, none of this amateur tosh) 60 second clip packed full of all the best bits of speedway. Some epic passes, some fighting between the riders, some scenes of packed grandstands, a few big crashes, and you share that to your Facebook page. Now your 50,000 followers interact with the video by hitting the like button, commenting or sharing. That video is then likely to be displayed to many thousands more people. That's how a Facebook page with 50,000 followers can reach 250,000 people or more with one post. A chunk of those people will also like the page. Rinse and repeat.

And the best part? You can now advertise to each and every one of these followers, every single day of the year and it won't cost a PENNY. Not only can you advertise to each and every one of them, but you can also segment your posts so that they are only seen by people living in certain regions. You can therefore plug every single meeting in advance and only local people will see the post. Social media works. 

And that's just one Facebook page. You get every club doing this, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat and you start giving away free passes, free merchandise, sharing epic clips and generally interacting with the fans and before you know it you have a marketing powerhouse at your fingertips and it's not cost you more than the annual wage of 1 or 2 staff members split between all the clubs. 

This coffee shop nonsense, although a nice idea, is just another step backwards. It will be another waste of money with little to no return, that will only further convince the dinosaurs in this industry that advertising and marketing doesn't work. 

BT Sport have 537,000 followers and regularly tweet speedway highlights. Why does this not translate into followers for SpeedwayGB, let alone fans on the terrace?

• Like 1