British Speedway Forum

42 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Where? Rye House, Leicester or Poole??  ha ha;)  All this 'giving UK a miss' is bullrubbish because of his visa!!

If he’s not working here he doesn’t need a visa does he? :rolleyes:

41 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Where? Rye House, Leicester or Poole??  ha ha;)  All this 'giving UK a miss' is bullrubbish because of his visa!!

Rumour has it that Holder will be back at Kings Lynn next season........................... litter picking the car parks! 

29 minutes ago, MattK said:

BT Sport have 537,000 followers and regularly tweet speedway highlights. Why does this not translate into followers for SpeedwayGB, let alone fans on the terrace?

Well first of all they haven't been working to promote SpeedwayGB or attendance of matches, they have been working to promote viewers on their channel. I haven't seen any speedway posts from BT Sport and neither of us know how successful those posts have been for them or how many new followers they generated, so I couldn't comment on it. The one thing I can say with absolute certainty is that social media marketing does work, and denying that it works is like denying that air exists because you can't see it. The evidence is all around us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BurntFaceMan said:

Well first of all they haven't been working to promote SpeedwayGB or attendance of matches, they have been working to promote viewers on their channel. I haven't seen any speedway posts from BT Sport and neither of us know how successful those posts have been for them or how many new followers they generated, so I couldn't comment on it. The one thing I can say with absolute certainty is that social media marketing does work, and denying that it works is like denying that air exists because you can't see it. The evidence is all around us.

Why don’t you approach Matt, tell him you will do your magic, and ask him to give you a code so that when the code is presented at the gate it gives the customer £2 off entry or a free program.  Code can only be used to first time visitors, to stop regular fans from using it.

Then after 3 months Matt can assess how well you have done. If it has been worthwhile you continue on a percentage of money for the new fans you have brought through the gate.

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So now it seems Chris Holder has a choice. Either ride for Poole, or try to get fixed up at another club who are willing to buy his contract.  Rumours are about that Chris Holder will now not ride in the UK in 2018.

Or he could challenge the legal basis for restricting his employment opportunities by someone with whom he has no contractual relationship.  Open and shut case in the post-Bosman era and about time it was kicked out of speedway.

11 minutes ago, OldRacer said:

Or he could challenge the legal basis for restricting his employment opportunities by someone with whom he has no contractual relationship.  Open and shut case in the post-Bosman era and about time it was kicked out of speedway.

Surely if holder has been offered a contract at Poole then Matt is should demand a return for is money if holder does not want to ride for us then a transfer fee is in order ?

as old racer says ray how can ford legally ask for a transfer fee,with bosman as a legal guideline  it would be a very quick legal judgement

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, poole keith said:

as old racer says ray how can ford legally ask for a transfer fee,with bosman as a legal guideline  it would be a very quick legal judgement

Yes I know that but he has been offered a contract at Poole so why should Matt let him ride else where for with out a fee for his asset jmo

1 hour ago, BurntFaceMan said:

Actually, it is quite easy to find out. BT Sport tweeted a clip of Tai speaking Scouse, which got 53 retweets and a clip of action from the play-off final which got 197.

This is from 537,000 followers or to put it another way 20 times more than SpeedwayGB's account.

Social media is an echo chamber.

1 hour ago, DizzAssStar said:

Rumour has it that Holder will be back at Kings Lynn next season........................... litter picking the car parks! 

He could REFUSE to do that!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, MattK said:

Actually, it is quite easy to find out. BT Sport tweeted a clip of Tai speaking Scouse, which got 53 retweets and a clip of action from the play-off final which got 197.

This is from 537,000 followers or to put it another way 20 times more than SpeedwayGB's account.

Social media is an echo chamber.

There are so many things wrong with your logic, but it is crystal clear to me now that you simply do not understand how social media works in the slightest. To say social media is an echo chamber is one of the most out of touch things I've ever heard. It doesn't matter if you posted the video to a page with 1000 times the followers of SpeedwayGB. It wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference if the initial audience is not relevant. However, I am an expert in this industry and I'd be happy to correct you on any point you'd like to try and make.

First of all, Twitter and Facebook aren't comparable. Twitter is not the marketing powerhouse that Facebook is. Twitter is dominated by celebrities and athletes. That's not to say that Twitter isn't an effective marketing platform or that businesses will not maintain a presence there, it is simply to say that it is not the ideal platform for this kind of promotion. And yes, we know speedway riders are athletes, and it's perfect for their personal profiles, but not for promoting a sport in general. Not to mention Twitter doesn't offer half the features that Facebook does in terms of insights, data collection and targeting. 

Right, to address your post, what percentage of those 537,000 people do you think are speedway fans? Would you say it is even as much as 5%? I mean honestly I doubt it's even that high, but for arguments sake let's assume it is. It is essential that you master the algorithm or you will have zero success. Say I have a page with 1,000,000 sports followers and 5% of them are speedway fans. I then go and post an exciting video about speedway. Facebook will then display that post to a small percentage of our followers to "test the water". The level of interaction that post receives will determine how many more followers that post is then shown to. Now say Facebook show this post to 1% of your followers, which in this scenario is 10,000 people. The number of speedway fans who see it is (assuming it's as high as 5%) is 500 people. Generally you can bank on approximately 25% of your reach interacting with your post. So in this scenario you can expect approximately 125 reactions, be it likes, shares, comments, etc. In the eyes of Facebook this post has been displayed to 10,000 people, but only 1.25% have interacted with it. Therefore the algorithm decides that this post is not worthy of competing with the hundreds of other posts vying for a position on your timeline and effectively instantly fizzles out.

Now imagine if instead that post was shared to a page like SpeedwayGB, and in this scenario SpeedwayGB had 50,000 followers. Now say Facebook show this post to 1% of your followers, which in this scenario is 500 people. The number of speedway fans who see it is now 100%. Generally you can bank on approximately 25% of your followers reached interacting with your post, so now this post that was seen by 500 people has been interacted with 125 times. In the eyes of Facebook this post has been displayed to 500 people and 25% of those have interacted with it. The algorithm therefore decides that this post is hot, relevant or interesting. It is therefore worthy of a position on your timeline and Facebook will then increase the number of your followers who will also see that post. Now say that in total Facebook shows your post to 25% of all your followers, and 25% of those go on to interact with it. That's 3125 different people. The average Facebook user has 388 friends. I don't have that many, but it is the average. Let's say that Facebook then goes on to show just 15% of your friends that you have interacted with that post. That's 158,000+ people who have never seen speedway before, getting the chance to watch this video, and in turn, the chance to like the page themselves. Not only have you grown the page following ready for your next big post, but you've also reached over 150,000 people who before now had never even heard of speedway. If you make that video exciting enough, who knows how many of them will like the page? How many of them will watch more online? How many of them will see their local match advertised on the page and pop down with some friends to watch?

The algorithm is simple. You need a large number of interactions on a post to boost the amount of people who see it. A page that is comprised only of speedway fans can generate a large number of interactions as the post is relevant to the audience, whereas a page with only a small number of speedway fans cannot generate a large number of interactions and therefore the snowball effect does not take hold.

Additionally, how is sharing a clip of Tai speaking Scouse going to attract anybody to the sport? Nobody knows who Tai is. I'm a speedway fan and even I wouldn't be interested in watching something so boring. You need quality content that people will want to watch, and it absolutely cannot require any prior knowledge to be enjoyed. 

This is a screenshot of last months reach on one of the social media pages I represent:

fb.thumb.png.e6470816533a5268a81aa5a08ecf573f.png

This particular page has under 100,000 followers, and yet over the course of the month we reached well over 2 million people and generated over £1,000,000 revenue in that period alone. Not only that, but as you can see from the graph above it was entirely organic. We didn't spend a penny to achieve that.

Social media is anything but an echo chamber. In fact it is the single most valuable tool any business has access to during this era. The companies that embrace social media, learn it's ways and understand how to extract the best from it will succeed. The companies with ignorant and closed minded mentalities like yours will flounder and unfortunately it appears speedway is settling in down that route.

Next?

Edited by BurntFaceMan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OldRacer said:

Good luck with that, what with being an Aussie and all that. He can work quite freely in Australia.

9 minutes ago, BurntFaceMan said:

There are so many things wrong with your logic, but it is crystal clear to me now that you simply do not understand how social media works in the slightest. To say social media is an echo chamber is one of the most out of touch things I've ever heard. However, I am an expert in this industry and I'd be happy to correct you on any point you'd like to try and make.

First of all, Twitter and Facebook aren't comparable. Twitter is not the marketing powerhouse that Facebook is. Twitter is dominated by celebrities and athletes. That's not to say that Twitter isn't an effective marketing platform or that businesses will not maintain a presence there, it is simply to say that it is not the ideal platform for this kind of promotion. And yes, we know speedway riders are athletes, and it's perfect for their personal profiles, but not for promoting a sport in general. Not to mention Twitter doesn't offer half the features that Facebook does in terms of insights, data collection and targeting. 

Right, to address your post, what percentage of those 537,000 people do you think are speedway fans? Would you say it is even as much as 5%? I mean honestly I doubt it's even that high, but for arguments sake, let's assume it is. It is essential that you master the algorithm or you will have zero success. Say I have a page with 1,000,000 sports followers and 5% of them are speedway fans. I then go and make a post an exciting video about speedway. Facebook will then display that post to a small percentage of our followers. The level of interaction that post receives will determine how many more followers that post is then shown to. Now say Facebook show this post to 1% of your followers, which in this scenario is 10,000 people. The number of speedway fans who see it is (assuming it's as high as 5%) is 500 people. Generally you can bank on approximately 25% of your reach interacting with your post. So in this scenario you can expect approximately 125 reactions, be it likes, shares, comments, etc. In the eyes of Facebook this post has been displayed to 10,000 people, but only 1.25% have interacted with it. Therefore the algorithm decides that this post is not worthy of competing with the hundreds of other posts vying for a position on your timeline.

Now imagine if instead that post was shared to a page like SpeedwayGB, and in this scenario SpeedwayGB had 50,000 followers. Now say Facebook show this post to 1% of your followers, which in this scenario is 500 people. The number of speedway fans who see it is now 100%. Generally you can bank on approximately 25% of your reach interacting with your post, so now this post that was seen by 500 people has been interacted with 125 times. In the eyes of Facebook this post has been displayed to 500 people and 25% of those have interacted with it. The algorithm therefore decides that this post is hot, relevant or interesting. It is therefore worthy of a position on your timeline and Facebook will then increase the number of your followers who will see that post. Now say that in total Facebook shows your post to 25% of all your followers, and 25% of those go on to interact with it. That's 3125 different people. Now the average Facebook user has 388 friends. Let's say that Facebook then goes on to show just 15% of your friends that you have interacted with that post. That's 158,000+ people who have never seen speedway before, getting the chance to watch this video, and in turn, the chance to like the page themselves.

The algorithm is simple. You need a large number of interactions on a post to boost the amount of people who see it. A page that is comprised only of speedway fans can generate a large number of interactions, whereas a page with only a small number of speedway fans cannot generate a large number of interactions and so the snowball effect does not take hold.

Additionally, how is sharing a clip of Tai speaking Scouse going to attract anybody to the sport? Nobody knows who Tai is. I'm a speedway fan and even I wouldn't be interested in watching something so boring. You need quality content that people will want to watch, and it absolutely cannot require any prior knowledge to be enjoyed. 

This is a screenshot of last months reach on one of the social media pages I represent:

fb.thumb.png.e6470816533a5268a81aa5a08ecf573f.png

This particular page has under 100,000 followers, and yet over the course of the month we reached well over 2 million people and generated over £1,000,000 revenue in that period alone. Not only that, but as you can see from the graph above it was entirely organic. We didn't spend a penny to achieve that.

Social media is anything but an echo chamber. It is the single most valuable tool any business has access to during this era. The companies that embrace social media, learn it's ways and understand how to extract the best from it will succeed. The companies with ignorant and closed minded mentalities like yours will flounder and unfortunately it appears speedway is settling in down that route.

Next?

What you have done there to prove social media is not an echo chamber is describe it as an echo chamber :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, SCB said:

What you have done there to prove social media is not an echo chamber is describe it as an echo chamber :rolleyes:

No, I haven't. I have said that you need a relevant base as a launch pad, but your overall reach is many times bigger than your initial launch pad. If you start with 500 speedway fans and reach over 150,000 people then it is anything but an echo chamber. An echo chamber would only reach the initial 500 fans.