British Speedway Forum

7 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Erm, has Morris rode at no1 for Swindon yet?! :blink:

He'll find it a bit different to last year as he can't hide behind JD anymore if he has an iffy meeting. Be interesting to see how he handles more pressure on him. 

There were some meetings when JD was out injured and he did ok.  Also it has to be noted that JD never team rode with anyone in the team so Nick looked after himself.

34 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Erm, has Morris rode at no1 for Swindon yet?! :blink:

He'll find it a bit different to last year as he can't hide behind JD anymore if he has an iffy meeting. Be interesting to see how he handles more pressure on him. 

Would that be similar to the pressure of being 1 point down on aggregate in the Grand Final with 3 races to go and executing a sublime pass on the final lap to put you in the box seat?

Is that the sort of pressure you are talking about?

• Like 2

That is what I mean. Kurtz already has a taste of being the top rider in Pooles team and time at number one. Thorssell whilst potentially very good spent last season at number 4 all season with no pressure as Lindgren was number one, Cook was second heatleader for BV, Morris likewise for Swindon. 

Id fancy Kurtz to average more than Thorssel and Morris, definately more than Harris/Nicholls and wouldnt surprise me if he is higher than Cook and Vaculik too. 

• Like 1

Not sure he will have a higher average than Cook but potential wise is better than most of the other number ones. Certainly has far more potential than Morris, who has a higher average. Morris has made steady progress but I doubt will every grace the GP series. Kurtz will be there in a year or two, barring injury. Kurtz already top flight Poland. His potential there for all to see. Poles have seen it, Poole fans have seen it.  Poole’s advantage he is on a low starting average.

27 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Not sure he will have a higher average than Cook but potential wise is better than most of the other number ones. Certainly has far more potential than Morris, who has a higher average. Morris has made steady progress but I doubt will every grace the GP series. Kurtz will be there in a year or two, barring injury. Kurtz already top flight Poland. His potential there for all to see. Poles have seen it, Poole fans have seen it.  Poole’s advantage he is on a low starting average.

Cant see why he wont have a higher average than Cook to be honest. Hes improving at a much faster pace, has a taste of being number one in the top flight and has a lot more potential. 

Still think Poole will need to get a good second heat leader in to rival the pairings of Morris/Batchelor and Cook/Fricke

2 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Still think Poole will need to get a good second heat leader in to rival the pairings of Morris/Batchelor and Cook/Fricke

Agreed, we need another rider to match those riders and I think Josh G as 3rd Heat leader will be better than most though. Never know Woryna might step up that much. 

Sure Matt has this under control. No need to hit panic yet. 

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Can’t agree with this.  Yes Brady has progressed quicker than Morris but another (current world champion) was the same and who would have thought Doyle would make the SGPs let alone dominate them for two years.  If Morris continues like last year then he may surprise a few and even make progress in Poland.

At this point in time, Brady certainly looks the better long term option but write Morris off at your peril!

• Like 1

People seem to be writing josh of hopefully he may surprise us and back Brady up early season.lets be honest if holder a pirate come march he should easily finish the season as our no 1 jmo 

11 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Can’t agree with this.  Yes Brady has progressed quicker than Morris but another (current world champion) was the same and who would have thought Doyle would make the SGPs let alone dominate them for two years.  If Morris continues like last year then he may surprise a few and even make progress in Poland.

At this point in time, Brady certainly looks the better long term option but write Morris off at your peril!

Not writing Morris off he has improved every season, but I don’t see him as a top rider gracing the GP series. Might be proved wrong.

As for Doyle, Matt Ford said years ago, when Doyle was a 5 and a half rider for Poole, that if he could get over his injury problems and get his shoulder fixed, he had the potential to become a world champion. How many years ago was that?

3 minutes ago, ray c said:

People seem to be writing josh of hopefully he may surprise us and back Brady up early season.lets be honest if holder a pirate come march he should easily finish the season as our no 1 jmo 

I think that if Holder joined Poole then Kurtz will have a higher average then Chris by the end of the season. 

The only issue i can see with Kurtz is that he throws the odd stinker of a race in , sometimes 2 a meeting, scoring 3,2,3,0,2 for example. At the end of the day its 10 from 5 but if he can eradicate the odd ride (sometimes overriding as well) he could easily score 13-14 every meeting.

As of yet Brady isnt at Nick Morris level in the UK but he could this season

14 hours ago, scaramanga said:

how often have you seen mason ride

some meetings last year he looked like he could beat anyone

but ill also agree some meetings he beat himself many times

and looked like a total newcomer could give him a good go

what i will say is mason campton is world class compared to mitchell davey who not many have a problem with and he even now gets classed as a brit

dont get me wrong i like davey always well turned out and looks good on the bike

but he just cant score points

I’ve seen him twice.

But regardless, 4 seasons in British speedway and only once managed to average over 5. That’s crap. So far he’s yet to prove me wrong. I doubt he’ll get 6 this season either because he’s just not that good.

4 hours ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Bit unfair on Josh who was Somerset number 1 last year and finished with an average of 7.34! I would certainly put him as a very good 3rd HL if not 2nd. 

Oh, brill, Swindon have four heatleaders then. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ray c said:

Josh imo is a very determined rider, let's see where he ends up... 

2 hours ago, SCB said:

I’ve seen him twice.

But regardless, 4 seasons in British speedway and only once managed to average over 5. That’s crap. So far he’s yet to prove me wrong. I doubt he’ll get 6 this season either because he’s just not that good.

He seems to of averaged 5.7 on the bspa site and is starting as a reserve for Workington so I would say 6 is easily acheiveable.

he is a lot better than quite a few Aussies who have came over in the last 5-8 years in all fairness.