British Speedway Forum

I wonder if anyone involved in the senior ranks of British Speedway has any idea when the Poles intend to meet or decide on the subject of the max 3 League rule for POL EXL riders incl one's nationality League.

Matt Ford eluded to it in his comments in the Echo this morning which most of us had an idea might be the reason why things were dragging on the last major rider (to a degree).

I mention it as plenty believe that NKI is part of Chapman's plan at KL and NKI has made no secret he would like to ride UK in 2018 as well as POL EXL/SWE/DK i.e 4 leagues.

According to Matt there are other team/s plus SWE and DK awaiting the ruling although doubt it affects SWE/DK as much with most squads already announced anyway.

One would have thought that flwg the UK having agreed to meet the POLES in regards to fixed race days, the decision on a yes or no would have followed fairly quickly. BUT to date nothing agreed and not even the hint of a mention on the main POL Speedway sites as to when it will be agreed to lift it to 4 or even abolish it (or even if they intend to keep it).

We know that the POLES have an arrogance about them because that is where the big money is (and don't they let everyone know it...), but it has dragged on and KL will be peed as will Matt if their team building plans have to take another direction.

Is anyone any the wiser on when that decision might be ???

2 hours ago, geoff58 said:

prepared YES racing NO !!

Says someone who clearly doesn't go very often. 

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Passing because away riders gate and don't ride in the right place on the track and the Wolves riders pass them. Better racing at Somerset and BV I suspect. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I wonder if anyone involved in the senior ranks of British Speedway has any idea when the Poles intend to meet or decide on the subject of the max 3 League rule for POL EXL riders incl one's nationality League.

Matt Ford eluded to it in his comments in the Echo this morning which most of us had an idea might be the reason why things were dragging on the last major rider (to a degree).

I mention it as plenty believe that NKI is part of Chapman's plan at KL and NKI has made no secret he would like to ride UK in 2018 as well as POL EXL/SWE/DK i.e 4 leagues.

According to Matt there are other team/s plus SWE and DK awaiting the ruling although doubt it affects SWE/DK as much with most squads already announced anyway.

One would have thought that flwg the UK having agreed to meet the POLES in regards to fixed race days, the decision on a yes or no would have followed fairly quickly. BUT to date nothing agreed and not even the hint of a mention on the main POL Speedway sites as to when it will be agreed to lift it to 4 or even abolish it (or even if they intend to keep it).

We know that the POLES have an arrogance about them because that is where the big money is (and don't they let everyone know it...), but it has dragged on and KL will be peed as will Matt if their team building plans have to take another direction.

Is anyone any the wiser on when that decision might be ???

Problem is Polish teams are getting richer and richer. Now have official bet sponsor for Torun for example. 

Sparta has the biggest sponsorship for naming and it’s about £1million I believe. 

Thats about the whole of GB speedway budget and it’s a title sponsor for one team.

13 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

For me, every Prem track has its part to play in the sport in the UK.

Riders need to adapt to the various tight turns etc as that is all part of getting the make up of a decent rider.

For me I am pleased and glad that plenty of riders view UK tracks as an important part of their Speedway development in honing their skills for things like the GP on the various tracks and conditions around Europe. From the current World Champ down in the SGP, most have had exposure to the UK and even Vaculik feels that Uk experience is something he needs to help improve his skills.

Let's not knock each others tracks too much. Yes there is a question over some of the preparation at times, some of the ruts/bumps/tight turns etc but that is part and parcel of British Speedway. The good riders overcome these problems and go on to progress using their experience of the UK as part of their knowledge and rise up the ranks.

There will always be some who knock Wolves or Poole or other tracks but that's the joy of the Sport here. Its good we see riders plying their trade on different size/shape tracks and surfaces and so what if some tracks give an advantage to home riders over others. For me it hasn't really changed that much in my 47 years of viewing speedway in UK.

Lets embrace what we have. If it was so bad would all of that talent over the years have ridden here. We are maybe now a breeding ground for nurturing future talent, but with the way the sport has shrunk in UK over the years and with all that is available for young people today as alternatives, lets all enjoy what we do have and not be so quickly to knock it.

13 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Problem is Polish teams are getting richer and richer. Now have official bet sponsor for Torun for example. 

Sparta has the biggest sponsorship for naming and it’s about £1million I believe. 

Thats about the whole of GB speedway budget and it’s a title sponsor for one team.

That is probably not going to change in the next 20 years. If anything Speedway in UK will perhaps demise to a one league system where all the main riders will ride be at Champ or just above level.

Lets hope that it does keep and even improve its popularity in POL as that is the one country where in the main the sport is flourishing. While their is top money then ultimately it hopefully will attract top talent. I am happy for UK to play its part in rider development for the future even if the main and best riders get their main source of income from POL. Lets be realistic it just wont happen in UK.

If young foreign riders want to come here to improve their track skills fine with me as long as we keep plenty available for UK riders.

It would just be half decent though for our Polish friends to have made a decision by now considering how we bent over to meet them on fixed race days. Its not exactly rocket science to either say its lifted or its maintained, so why so long ??

I thought we had a special relationship with Poland considering how accommodating we are to the many who work & live here. A small reciprocal move to help assist the sport in UK for those riders who want to come here would be welcome ;-)

Great we have signed Folder, I was getting excited thinking there was a surprise in store instead we get the whinging aussie!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Well lets hope both Holders have great seasons as well as Brady Kurtz and Josh G as we could  well have 4 Aussies in the team for 2019.

Hopefully Jack will improve both as a rider and be mentally stronger for his season away and now with Torun. No doubt living with Chris and travelling to Poland as well as being at each others meetings when situations allow will also with luck help both of them long term.

I will be happy to see Jack bang in some big scores even against us at Poole or at Somerset this season just to show us who believe in him that he is long term an asset and team member worth having.

Hopefully what happened in the past as regards to some of the attitude and frustration comments made will stay exactly there i.e in the past.

Would much rather watch Cookie strut his stuff when Belle Vue are in town and bang in a big score, English Pride!

23 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Riders need to adapt to the various tight turns etc as that is all part of getting the make up of a decent rider.

For me I am pleased and glad that plenty of riders view UK tracks as an important part of their Speedway development in honing their skills for things like the GP on the various tracks and conditions around Europe. From the current World Champ down in the SGP, most have had exposure to the UK and even Vaculik feels that Uk experience is something he needs to help improve his skills.

Let's not knock each others tracks too much. Yes there is a question over some of the preparation at times, some of the ruts/bumps/tight turns etc but that is part and parcel of British Speedway. The good riders overcome these problems and go on to progress using their experience of the UK as part of their knowledge and rise up the ranks.

There will always be some who knock Wolves or Poole or other tracks but that's the joy of the Sport here. Its good we see riders plying their trade on different size/shape tracks and surfaces and so what if some tracks give an advantage to home riders over others. For me it hasn't really changed that much in my 47 years of viewing speedway in UK.

Lets embrace what we have. If it was so bad would all of that talent over the years have ridden here. We are maybe now a breeding ground for nurturing future talent, but with the way the sport has shrunk in UK over the years and with all that is available for young people today as alternatives, lets all enjoy what we do have and not be so quickly to knock it.

People who knock stuff are generally jealous. Of course you are right. I am happy that our tracks are vast in shape,  length and preparation. 

We should embrace them all, plenty of fans would kill to have a track and team of their own.

Unfortunately there are some who think any tight track isn't a good track, which is very narrow minded.  Particularly given their own track is often criticised for poof preparation. 

38 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Well said. When we raced at the dogtrack people took great delight on knocking it even though more often than not the racing was good. Very similar to Wolves but as you say worth its place. 

Id rather take the opinion of Crump and the other great Aces that enjoyed the circuit rather than a handful of fans who just seemed to want to knock the great club. 

I wonder if the FIM have the balls to insist that the Poles confirm what they indicated back in the meeting in November?!

In addition to the Polish 3xleague rule, clubs (or at least their fans) are also awaiting further clarification/confirmation on exactly what averages former GP riders will be on - especially those that have ridden UK previously?! 

In addition, confirmation of how the one 8& over rule is applied after the first or second set of averages.  People have made assumptions eg each 8+ rider in the starting line-up will remain as the 8+ rider even if his average drops below - thereby stopping any other 8+ rider from being signed other than to replace the original 8+ guy?! But is that correct?  It may seem sensible but nothing announced or confirmed officially!!

Edited by Skidder1

1 hour ago, Agrotron said:

Great we have signed Folder, I was getting excited thinking there was a surprise in store instead we get the whinging aussie!

He should add to his average if he's happy.

Hope Buster has it grippy when the Poole are in town,and have the Lynn boys practicing before the meeting :P

Personally I would of had Shanes and Hans as the other 2,if they fitted.

Not a but looking team at the mo.I think Josh will be under scrutiny on his ave.

Edited by Bald Bloke

1 hour ago, Bald Bloke said:

He should add to his average if he's happy.

Hope Buster has it grippy when the Poole are in town,and have the Lynn boys practicing before the meeting :P

Personally I would of had Shanes and Hans as the other 2,if they fitted.

I personally hope Poole have not shafted James Shanes as he needs to do two league's i can't understand why he wasn't announced along with Woryna.Kurtz,Woryna,Shanes, would of been my first  three signing's and build the team around them nice that Poole are showing real confidence in the lad  just hope it works out for James.

Edited by Sidney the robin

MF has explained that Shanes is his preferred option - but it depends on the average of the final rider!!  James will still get 2 league action cos if he's not at Poole he'll be at BV .

24 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

MF has explained that Shanes is his preferred option - but it depends on the average of the final rider!!  James will still get 2 league action cos if he's not at Poole he'll be at BV .

lucky belle vue unlucky us most excitting rider at the stadium last season and may not ride for us :::