British Speedway Forum

As its the 70th Anniversary Dinner then I suppose £70 per head would be more apt - but lets not forget all the costs of the riders and guests the like of Tony Rickardsson and Mark Loram etc have to be covered. The function room at AFC Bournemouth only has a maximum Dinner capacity of 250, so as the announcement says - it won't take long to sell out. I guess the knack of ensuring your attendance is to know one of the clubs many sponsors!!?:D;)

Its a shame I'm out of the country that week and will miss both the meeting on 23rd and the Dinner, otherwise my £80 would have been in the post today!!

Edited by Skidder1

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

We are talking a Gala event with dress code to celebrate 70 years of Poole speedway. £80 ahead is not expensive for fine dining and a decent menu.  We are not talking about chicken in a basket. £80 a head would be without wine and what you would pay for three courses at a decent restaurant. There's probably entertainment in the price as well.

Ford on the banjo and Middlo playing the spoons.

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

I love coming on here to cheer myself up....it makes me realise that speedway fans must have some of the cleanest windows of any sports fans.

Agree, the Poole thread is entertainment personified. It always attracts the weird, the whacky and the wallybrains. :lol:

41 minutes ago, Gavan said:

I find this incredible that some Poole fans can be that daft not to see facts!

2017 Brady Kurtz was not as good as Nick Morris in the top flight. There is no discussion on this its fact

2018 Brady Kurtz has the potential to be as good if not better than Morris is over here.

You cant compare what they do abroad unless your Steve Shovlar who is saying Brady is better in Poland but yet thinks it doesnt matter that Tungate beat Kurtz in the Aussie champs!

If your team building you may well have Kurtz as his average is nearly a point lower and his will go up you would think and Morris may stay the same.

I agree Brady may go on to better things than Morris but at the moment IN THE UK Morris is simply better than Kurtz.......you cant argue that.

Who cares who's better, last season has gone, move on, Morris at Swindon Kurtz at Poole, lets judge them on this season

I find it very comical about this rider is better than that rider. He will score more than him. Whoever owns a team selects the riders they want, subject of course to the riders agreement.

it is immaterial what any of us think. There are several reasons why a rider is selected. Can he improve his average, how does he ride his home track, how does he get on with his team mates etc. Sometimes, the owner gets it wrong and will try and make changes.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It is no good anyone saying I am defiantly correct as I have never met such a person.

Poole will build a team that Matt Ford thinks will bring the people through the gate. He has done quite well over the years but has got it wrong at times.

Speedway is a business like any other and with so many demands on our money it must be a good evenings entertainment for us to put our hands into our pockets.

Good luck to all teams this season but remember races are won and lost on the track not on computer keyboards.

10 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

As its the 70th Anniversary Dinner then I suppose £70 per head would be more apt - but lets not forget all the costs of the riders and guests the like of Tony Rickardsson and Mark Loram etc have to be covered. The function room at AFC Bournemouth only has a maximum Dinner capacity of 250, so as the announcement says - it won't take long to sell out. I guess the knack of ensuring your attendance is to know one of the clubs many sponsors!!?:D;)

Its a shame I'm out of the country that week and will miss both the meeting on 23rd and the Dinner, otherwise my £80 would have been in the post today!!

Its cheaper to fly out of the country than attend this dinner, wise choice chap :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, blupanther said:

Its cheaper to fly out of the country than attend this dinner, wise choice chap :D

What I'm paying to be out of the country that week would more than pay for a whole table plus champagne!!!!!:shock:

• Haha 1

The Kurtz v Morris debate is very interesting just looked up some stats Morris rode with the World Champion 39 times in the season Doyle won 22/17 just shows you Morris had the tougher campaign both are very talented along with Fricke and J.Holder.

Edited by Sidney the robin

57 minutes ago, Sherborne Green said:

I find it very comical about this rider is better than that rider. He will score more than him. Whoever owns a team selects the riders they want, subject of course to the riders agreement.

I actually couldn't care less. It's only when you see Gavan and Steve banging on about who the better rider is that I can't help but wind them up.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

The Kurtz v Morris debate is very interesting just looked up some stats Morris rode with the World Champion 40 times in the season Doyle won 22/18 just shows you Morris had the tougher campaign both are very talented along with Fricke and J.Holder.

I think both you and Gavan have provided interesting and fair comments in this forum discussion on Kurtz v Morris which at least has kept some interest in the Poole 2018 forum in these dark and dreary close season nights.

I support Poole but have to agree Morris was the better rider in 2017 in the Prem, especially when you also factor in Morris's bonus points.

But I think that although Morris is only 2.5 years older than Kurtz we need to look closer at the stats which tells its own story.

Morris came to UK in 2010 as a young wild rider who gained a bit of a reputation being compared to often to Darcy Ward which was unfair. He has ridden Prem (or equiv) for a long time with his first season in the top flight 2011 where he rode 17 times with a GSA of 5.30. Since then his GSA's have been 5.78 - 5.90 - 6.31 - 6.70 - 6.41 - 8.87.

So over 7 seasons we have seen the emergence of Morris into a heat leader and being 24 in June his riding has matured. Remember that is 7 seasons not one or two. He has toned down some of his wild behaviour which got him into hot water a few times and pressed on in UK as a top rider, although not quite broken into POL EXL, but still plenty of time. That youthful over exuberance has gone and now you have the young man who is a top UK rider.

Brady Kurtz has ridden 2 seasons in the Prem and at 21 has achieved GSA's of 6.36 then last seasons 8.08. Not bad for 2 seasons in the top flight and last season also had an injury that dragged his GSA down a bit as he had to find fitness again after the injury later in the season in a team that also struggled.

Who ultimately is the better long term prospect ?? - Based on what the short term shows maybe Kurtz, but after what Doyle achieved I think he reset the bar on what riders can achieve even into their thirties.

As a Poole supporter I hate the pressure that is piled on him with the comparisons to a top riding Darcy Ward or Chris Holder (when he was top). As a young guy finding his way he needs to find his level at his own pace and not just because he rode so well last year he will improve on that this year.

Morris had 6 seasons in the top flight prior to his 8.87 season so perhaps we need to put things into perspective. Similar with Fricke and Jack Holder. I think we are fortunate to see these young Aussies with obvious class, same as I hope to be saying the same with young Woryna in the coming years.

I appreciate that these things keep the forum going in these quiet days but you have to sometimes dig below the surface when comparing say Morris to Kurtz. Hopefully they will both win their share of races and will indeed be interesting how they shape up when riding against each other this coming season.

16 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I think both you and Gavan have provided interesting and fair comments in this forum discussion on Kurtz v Morris which at least has kept some interest in the Poole 2018 forum in these dark and dreary close season nights.

I support Poole but have to agree Morris was the better rider in 2017 in the Prem, especially when you also factor in Morris's bonus points.

But I think that although Morris is only 2.5 years older than Kurtz we need to look closer at the stats which tells its own story.

Morris came to UK in 2010 as a young wild rider who gained a bit of a reputation being compared to often to Darcy Ward which was unfair. He has ridden Prem (or equiv) for a long time with his first season in the top flight 2011 where he rode 17 times with a GSA of 5.30. Since then his GSA's have been 5.78 - 5.90 - 6.31 - 6.70 - 6.41 - 8.87.

So over 7 seasons we have seen the emergence of Morris into a heat leader and being 24 in June his riding has matured. Remember that is 7 seasons not one or two. He has toned down some of his wild behaviour which got him into hot water a few times and pressed on in UK as a top rider, although not quite broken into POL EXL, but still plenty of time. That youthful over exuberance has gone and now you have the young man who is a top UK rider.

Brady Kurtz has ridden 2 seasons in the Prem and at 21 has achieved GSA's of 6.36 then last seasons 8.08. Not bad for 2 seasons in the top flight and last season also had an injury that dragged his GSA down a bit as he had to find fitness again after the injury later in the season in a team that also struggled.

Who ultimately is the better long term prospect ?? - Based on what the short term shows maybe Kurtz, but after what Doyle achieved I think he reset the bar on what riders can achieve even into their thirties.

As a Poole supporter I hate the pressure that is piled on him with the comparisons to a top riding Darcy Ward or Chris Holder (when he was top). As a young guy finding his way he needs to find his level at his own pace and not just because he rode so well last year he will improve on that this year.

Morris had 6 seasons in the top flight prior to his 8.87 season so perhaps we need to put things into perspective. Similar with Fricke and Jack Holder. I think we are fortunate to see these young Aussies with obvious class, same as I hope to be saying the same with young Woryna in the coming years.

I appreciate that these things keep the forum going in these quiet days but you have to sometimes dig below the surface when comparing say Morris to Kurtz. Hopefully they will both win their share of races and will indeed be interesting how they shape up when riding against each other this coming season.

Good post and it is not about being right or wrong Morris,Kurtz,Fricke,J.Holder are all riders i would pay 18 pounds to see ride. I  have enjoyed watching Nick progress and  Rosco should take alot of credit for that.

18 hours ago, Gavan said:

Why is that nice try? 

In the uk Morris almost a 9 pointer and Brady just over 8. 

No doubting Kurtz has the potential but he isn't even close yet to what Morris does over here.

As I've said if he cuts out the silly duff rides and mistakes he could push on to the level Morris has achieved in the Uk

So they are within a point of each other then? Yep, such a massive gap. Not :blink:

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

So they are within a point of each other then? Yep, such a massive gap. Not :blink:

wow and yet your still not understanding anything.

never said there is a massive gap as you put it but there is a gap. If Kurtz eradicates his duff rides he will close that gap and maybe average more than Morris.

on the world stage Brady is ahead of Morris but in the uk he isnt simple as that

£80 a head is good value? And it maybe includes entertainment? Jesus Christ what is Shovlar smoking that is extortionate 

7 minutes ago, Gavan said:

wow and yet your still not understanding anything.

never said there is a massive gap as you put it but there is a gap. If Kurtz eradicates his duff rides he will close that gap and maybe average more than Morris.

on the world stage Brady is ahead of Morris but in the uk he isnt simple as that

You said 'not even close' that suggests a big gap to me! But hey maybe I'm just being picky! :D

6 minutes ago, therefused said:

£80 a head is good value? And it maybe includes entertainment? Jesus Christ what is Shovlar smoking that is extortionate 

Guess its down to lifestyle? A nice evening meal out to a good standard restaurant will cost around £2-240 for 2 of us with wine. So 160 a couple seems ok providing the quality is there. 

I was in Padstow recently with a client and lunch cost £180 at Rick Steins restaurant. I guess some people on here think a Harvester or Beefeater is quality eating out!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1