British Speedway Forum

14 hours ago, poolebolton said:

Could you possibly tell us other sponsorship costs such as programme stuff. 

Main team? 

And is there sponsorship for tyres and fuel?? Etc? 

They use around 5 litres of dope a meeting.Around £8

9 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

They use around 5 litres of dope a meeting.Around £8

Theres a joke in there about certain speedway riders who have been lucky not to have been drug tested!

Matt Ford confirms Poole in advanced talks with Linus Sundstrom. 

Ford is keen to make the 27-year-old Avesta-born racer his sixth signing for the club's 70th anniversary season, but rules outlined by the Polish Automobile and Motorcycle Association (PZM) dictate that riders in the Polish Ekstraliga can only race in a maximum of three European leagues.

Sundstrom currently has two contracts in his homeland and one in Poland, but Ford is hopeful the Swede will take a place in his 2018 septet. 

Ford said: "Linus is very good friends with our former world champion Tony Rickardsson and he believes, as I do, Poole is the best place for Linus to really push on to the top of the sport in 2018. 
"He's a very exciting rider and one I have the utmost respect for. He will complement the riders already signed up for this year perfectly, so I hope we will be able to secure his signature in the not-too-distant future." 

Should he sign for the Volvo Cars Poole Pirates, Sundstrom would use up 7.22 of Ford's team-building points limit and that would open make James Shanes an ideal fit to join Kacper Woryna, Mateusz Szczepaniak, Chris Holder, Josh Grajczonek and Brady Kurtz in the 2018 line-up.

-----

PIRATES boss Matt Ford cannot finalise the signing of Linus Sundstrom unless the Polish authorities lift the controversial three-league rule.

The Swedish star has agreed terms ahead of a proposed move to Wimborne Road but the switch is being affected by his contracts elsewhere.

Sundstrom is set to race for Masarna and Piraterna in his homeland while he also has a deal in place with Gorzow, who compete in the Ekstraliga – Poland's top flight.

It was agreed in November that the Polish Automobile and Motorcycle Association would lift the regulation which restricted Ekstraliga riders to racing in two other leagues. However, the PZM is yet to deliver on that promise.

Speaking to this newspaper at the start of December, Ford admitted the three-league rule had been holding up his plans. And he and World Cup-winner Sundstrom remain in limbo.

Ford told the Daily Echo: "I'm sure everyone is as frustrated as I am that this saga has been going on since the AGM, when I first made contact with Linus.

"While I was at the AGM, we were informed by Tony Steele, who was representing the BSPA at an FIM event, that the rule would be lifted or changed to four leagues.

"With this in mind, Linus and I entered discussions and while we have agreed terms, sadly we cannot sign anything until the restriction is lifted.

"I don't know what the hold-up is. It's very frustrating because we want to finalise things.

"I know there are other riders who this has an impact on. It's not for me to reveal other people's teams but I know it is having an effect at King's Lynn.

"I can only hope for all of our sakes that the matter is resolved as soon as possible."

When Krzysztof Kasprzak suffered a broken collarbone in May last year, Sundstrom contacted Ford to offer his riding services.

And although talks were shelved after Sundstrom picked up a contract at Gorzow – coincidentally to replace Kasprzak – Ford remains a big fan of the 27-year-old.

He added: "I can remember Linus coming down with Peterborough in 2012 and beating Chris Holder and Darcy Ward at their peak.

"At that time, I remember thinking: 'This kid really has got something special'. Now, I am incredibly excited at the thought of bringing him in.

"I know Tony Rickardsson has great regard for Linus and he believes him coming to Poole would be a huge step in his development.

"If we get Linus on board, we should also have more contact with Tony as well, which is my hope."

Should he complete the signing of Sundstrom, who has a 7.22 average, Ford would have 3.51 points left for his final rider.

That would almost certainly be Puddletown-based charger James Shanes, who has a 2.88 rating and would take his place at reserve.

However, if the Sundstrom deal falls through, Ford is likely to plump for two mid-range riders to complete his septet.

Pirates 2018: Brady Kurtz 8.08, Josh Grajczonek 7.34, Chris Holder 7.16, Kacper Woryna 4.65, Mateusz Szczepaniak 4.54.

Edited by BurntFaceMan

After meeting with Poland, Denmark and Sweden at that 'International Speedway Council' thing and agreeing Monday and Thursday as their 'priority nights' in the International calendar, (and then subsequently changing it to Monday and Wednesday which clashes with Denmark's night)..

Maybe, just maybe, the Poles are a bit peed that the BSPA went their own way and want to show them who the 'Boss' really is?

Hence still enforcing the three League rule...?

Everyone must have left that meeting thinking there was a clear vision for the Sport domestically around Europe's leagues. Something the Poles in particular have been wanting for the past five years or so...

Then it changed. ..

Edited by mikebv

The conflict for Poland is that Linus rides not just in the Polish top flight but both levels in Sweden making it three leagues but only two countries and that is where they hope to get clearance to use him and make Britain the third country which can be resolved if need be as Swedens race nights of Tuesday and Thursday don't clash with the Polish fixtures. 

Thing is, if he is riding in Sweden on a Thursday do Poole get priority as its not his main contract in Sweden. More chance of this going through than Iversen getting clearance for Kings Lynn as he is already signed up in Sweden, Poland and Denmark. 

As as usual a strong Poole team starts the season and one of the favourites

Time for GB, Sweden and Denmark to play hardball with Poland. If the PZM do not relax their rule over riders, then the three countries should basically ban their riders from riding in Poland until the issue is resolved. 

Probably illegal but probably no more illegal than what the Poles are doing.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Time for GB, Sweden and Denmark to play hardball with Poland. If the PZM do not relax their rule over riders, then the three countries should basically ban their riders from riding in Poland until the issue is resolved. 

Probably illegal but probably no more illegal than what the Poles are doing.

Kind of ironic that Poole pushed for the Mon/Wed race nights which has now led to the Poles not being willing to relax their rule as had originally been agreed with Mon/Thurs race nights.

Why would Denmark want to play hardball with Poland when it is the UK who have gone against what was agreed.

• Like 1

Yawn. Either get on and sign Shanes or let another club have him. He shouldn’t be stuck in the middle of this.

• Like 1

The Championship clubs who didn't act in the best interests of speedway as a whole have a lot to answer for.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Reliant Robin said:

Kind of ironic that Poole pushed for the Mon/Wed race nights which has now led to the Poles not being willing to relax their rule as had originally been agreed with Mon/Thurs race nights.

Why would Denmark want to play hardball with Poland when it is the UK who have gone against what was agreed.

Poole didn't 'push for Mondays/Wednesdays' - they only suggested it when 2 of the 3 Championship Thursday tracks threatened to pull out and not to run!!!

Tail wagging the dog yet again in British speedway.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

The Championship clubs who didn't act in the best interests of speedway as a whole have a lot to answer for.

It shouldve been -

This is the structure - which league (if any) do you wish to run in

And I say this as an Ipswich fan.

If the revised structure was genuinely to improve the overall future of British Speedway then it should be fit in or ship out.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, BurntFaceMan said:

Matt Ford confirms Poole in advanced talks with Linus Sundstrom. 

Ford is keen to make the 27-year-old Avesta-born racer his sixth signing for the club's 70th anniversary season, but rules outlined by the Polish Automobile and Motorcycle Association (PZM) dictate that riders in the Polish Ekstraliga can only race in a maximum of three European leagues.

Sundstrom currently has two contracts in his homeland and one in Poland, but Ford is hopeful the Swede will take a place in his 2018 septet. 

Ford said: "Linus is very good friends with our former world champion Tony Rickardsson and he believes, as I do, Poole is the best place for Linus to really push on to the top of the sport in 2018. 
"He's a very exciting rider and one I have the utmost respect for. He will complement the riders already signed up for this year perfectly, so I hope we will be able to secure his signature in the not-too-distant future." 

Should he sign for the Volvo Cars Poole Pirates, Sundstrom would use up 7.22 of Ford's team-building points limit and that would open make James Shanes an ideal fit to join Kacper Woryna, Mateusz Szczepaniak, Chris Holder, Josh Grajczonek and Brady Kurtz in the 2018 line-up.

-----

PIRATES boss Matt Ford cannot finalise the signing of Linus Sundstrom unless the Polish authorities lift the controversial three-league rule.

The Swedish star has agreed terms ahead of a proposed move to Wimborne Road but the switch is being affected by his contracts elsewhere.

Sundstrom is set to race for Masarna and Piraterna in his homeland while he also has a deal in place with Gorzow, who compete in the Ekstraliga – Poland's top flight.

It was agreed in November that the Polish Automobile and Motorcycle Association would lift the regulation which restricted Ekstraliga riders to racing in two other leagues. However, the PZM is yet to deliver on that promise.

Speaking to this newspaper at the start of December, Ford admitted the three-league rule had been holding up his plans. And he and World Cup-winner Sundstrom remain in limbo.

Ford told the Daily Echo: "I'm sure everyone is as frustrated as I am that this saga has been going on since the AGM, when I first made contact with Linus.

"While I was at the AGM, we were informed by Tony Steele, who was representing the BSPA at an FIM event, that the rule would be lifted or changed to four leagues.

"With this in mind, Linus and I entered discussions and while we have agreed terms, sadly we cannot sign anything until the restriction is lifted.

"I don't know what the hold-up is. It's very frustrating because we want to finalise things.

"I know there are other riders who this has an impact on. It's not for me to reveal other people's teams but I know it is having an effect at King's Lynn.

"I can only hope for all of our sakes that the matter is resolved as soon as possible."

When Krzysztof Kasprzak suffered a broken collarbone in May last year, Sundstrom contacted Ford to offer his riding services.

And although talks were shelved after Sundstrom picked up a contract at Gorzow – coincidentally to replace Kasprzak – Ford remains a big fan of the 27-year-old.

He added: "I can remember Linus coming down with Peterborough in 2012 and beating Chris Holder and Darcy Ward at their peak.

"At that time, I remember thinking: 'This kid really has got something special'. Now, I am incredibly excited at the thought of bringing him in.

"I know Tony Rickardsson has great regard for Linus and he believes him coming to Poole would be a huge step in his development.

"If we get Linus on board, we should also have more contact with Tony as well, which is my hope."

Should he complete the signing of Sundstrom, who has a 7.22 average, Ford would have 3.51 points left for his final rider.

That would almost certainly be Puddletown-based charger James Shanes, who has a 2.88 rating and would take his place at reserve.

However, if the Sundstrom deal falls through, Ford is likely to plump for two mid-range riders to complete his septet.

Pirates 2018: Brady Kurtz 8.08, Josh Grajczonek 7.34, Chris Holder 7.16, Kacper Woryna 4.65, Mateusz Szczepaniak 4.54.

Finally!!!!

https://speedwayekstraliga.pl/spolka-ekstraliga/regulaminy/

This is a link to the Polish Extraleague Riders 2018 Professional Speedway Contract, duly translated by Google.

Although open to misunderstanding, to me Clause 7.4 makes provision for a rider to race in a 4th league!!!?

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

https://speedwayekstraliga.pl/spolka-ekstraliga/regulaminy/

This is a link to the Polish Extraleague Riders 2018 Professional Speedway Contract, duly translated by Google.

Although open to misunderstanding, to me Clause 7.4 makes provision for a rider to race in a 4th league!!!?

There is a space in the rider contract to add a 4th league, so that's very promising!