British Speedway Forum

difficult to compare riders with so many years in between, but for those who never saw I Mauger, he was perfect on his bike very similar to L Adams, but Mauger had the killer touch that won world titles, something sadly Adams never had.

As for D Ward we will never know how many if any at all world titles he could of won.

I remember posting a number of years ago on a topic about Darcy and his ability to win the world title. I said that IMHO he will never win a world title because he never knows when 2nd is good enough.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BurntFaceMan said:

No doubt that Darcy was more talented on a bike than Ivan. If he hadn't had it taken away from him I'm sure he'd have been world champ time and time again.

“No doubt”? Hmmmm if you mean being able to lean and bunny jump your bike this way and that way, Darcy was brill, but if you mean honed skill and dedication over twenty years with the trophies to show for it, there’s only one winner.

It’s tragic that we’ve been robbed of Darcy, but his temperament casts doubt on whether he would have applied him self sufficiently to become another Ivan Mauger.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, DC2 said:

“No doubt”? Hmmmm if you mean being able to lean and bunny jump your bike this way and that way, Darcy was brill, but if you mean honed skill and dedication over twenty years with the trophies to show for it, there’s only one winner.

It’s tragic that we’ve been robbed of Darcy, but his temperament casts doubt on whether he would have applied him self sufficiently to become another Ivan Mauger.

Never mind Ivan Mauger, it casts doubt over whether he would ever have won a single senior World Title. Even without that issue  there are absolutely no guarantees.

Let's not forget Emil Sayfutdinov was described as an absolute certainty to win World Titles too.. he may still win one or more, but he's not opened his account yet for varying reasons.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

According to the Bournemouth Echo Poole now clear Linus Sundstrom as Poles have lifted 3 league rule

20 minutes ago, Arthur Fry said:

another powerhouse team assembled by Matt

good side

but so was last years and look what happened there. Good enough for play offs i reckon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Mark Loram, Joe Screen, Kelly Moran.......all more talented than Ivan Mauger on a bike but it takes something special to become a multi world champion.

For all his talent Darcy hadnt got there when his career cut short...................but to say he would have been world champ time and again is a bit much

True, but Darcy was something else. To say he hadn't got there by the time his career was cut short is a little unfair. Darcy only had 1 and a half seasons in the GP series, missing several fixtures in his first series and was only 20 years old too. Darcy had an exceptional feel for the bike and he manoeuvred the bike in ways I've never seen anybody else do. Darcy was busy being a young man. If he hadn't of got injured, and he put his adult head into the game, I really do believe he would have been world champion time and again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gavan said:

good side

but so was last years and look what happened there. Good enough for play offs i reckon

Only if they are lucky

I think the whole team from 1-7 are capable of upping there averages

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

good side

Difference is we don't have KK.

This team has the potential to blow everybody away and win the league at a canter but I'd suggest there are enough question marks over various riders to not give them the trophy just yet.

Let's face it that team is the best by miles. The Poles don't even have to be great for them to win the league and if they are even half decent they will pee it. Fair play Ford.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ray c said:

As all ivan wins were just one meeting not like todays format 

Good job it was one off World Finals Ivan won, Shudder to think how many he would have won in a GP format!!

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, sommelier said:

Good job it was one off World Finals Ivan won, Shudder to think how many he would have won in a GP format!!

Feel he would have won the majority of the seventies ones.

• Like 2