British Speedway Forum

A point that hasn’t been mentioned is that Matt Ford has a very good rider waiting to come in, should one of the top four fail to ride to expectations in the first 4 weeks of the season.

with the team made up below the points limit, any of the top 4 can be replaced. I remember chatting to Davey Watt a few years ago and he said the pressure of riding league speedway in Poland was intense compared to elsewhere.

Looks like Matt is bringing Polish pressure to bear on the Poole riders.

3 minutes ago, poole keith said:

havnt read all the posts but people arent seriously saying ward was a better rider than mauger are they ???

Some are. I haven't said as I've seen Darcy ride but not Mauger, so I would have no idea who was better! 

3 minutes ago, poole keith said:

havnt read all the posts but people arent seriously saying ward was a better rider than mauger are they ???

over time yep

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Arthur Fry said:

who's to say wolves or even Poole will make the playoffs , but I certainly fancy this Poole team over 2 legs against anyone

im not disagreeing 

im just saying out of all the teams in the league i feel over 2 legs it would be Wolves who would cause Poole the most problems, simply because not one of the Poole riders goes very well there

5 hours ago, Woz01 said:

Woryna only beat an opponent twice 9 rides scoring 8 altogether at Wolves. He got a heat win against Karlsson and Howarth and a 2nd beating Masters and Karlsson. 

Thanks. I wasn't 100% who it was he beat but decent standard riders for a newcomer. 

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Holder is always bad at Wolves but I think Josh G is ok there so who knows what to expect, just they all have to appreciate none of them will beat Thorsell.

I've seen Holder score double figures at Poole so he can ride the track well, but rarely does.

6 minutes ago, poole keith said:

It's only really 1 poster. 

7 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

A point that hasn’t been mentioned is that Matt Ford has a very good rider waiting to come in, should one of the top four fail to ride to expectations in the first 4 weeks of the season.

with the team made up below the points limit, any of the top 4 can be replaced. I remember chatting to Davey Watt a few years ago and he said the pressure of riding league speedway in Poland was intense compared to elsewhere.

Looks like Matt is bringing Polish pressure to bear on the Poole riders.

Surely if you keep your 8 point rider (Kurtz) then you shouldn’t be allowed to sign a rider on a starting average over 8 (Pawlicki).  Are 3 ringers not enough for you?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arthur Fry said:

over time yep

Its an impossible argument. One did it, the other might have. Its not like comparing two 7 times world champs in a sport from different eras, which is hard enough.

Worth watching the documentary on youtube about Mauger.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, hagonshocker said:

To be fair he is rather demeaning Maugers achievements so shouldn’t be surprised he doesnt understand that 

You missed read what i said it was  harder in ivans day to become champlon that under the gp format 

Edited by ray c

36 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Some are. I haven't said as I've seen Darcy ride but not Mauger, so I would have no idea who was better! 

No whats happening is people are mistaking talent for success.

Darcy Ward probably one of the top 3 most skilled riders ive ever seen. For me Mark Loram took some beating on that front, nobody got their wheels in line and made long straights like Mark could.

The thing is natural talent in most sports doesnt equate to winning as much as you should

Take snooker i think most people will say the most talented players are Ronnie, White and Alex Higgins, those 3 have 7 world titles between them

Davis, Hendry and John Higgins have 17

Mauger and Rickardsson and Nielsen probably not as naturally talented as Ward, Loram, Lee but will always be more successful

WOULD personally place Peter Collins ahead of Mark Loram, great though he was, in every respect. Too easy to forget just how supremely talented PC was.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WOULD personally place Peter Collins ahead of Mark Loram, great though he was, in every respect. Too easy to forget just how supremely talented PC was.

Agree, but if we are talking natural talent lets not forget Gollob must be very close to the top of the pile!!!

3 hours ago, Gavan said:

im not disagreeing 

im just saying out of all the teams in the league i feel over 2 legs it would be Wolves who would cause Poole the most problems, simply because not one of the Poole riders goes very well there

Chris Holder CAN ride Wolverhampton very well......scored 14/15 there a few years back with Woffinden and Lindgren both in the Wolves team.

Was’nt it at Wolverhampton that Holder and Ward won the EL pairs in about 2011??

2 hours ago, Gavan said:

No whats happening is people are mistaking talent for success.

Darcy Ward probably one of the top 3 most skilled riders ive ever seen. For me Mark Loram took some beating on that front, nobody got their wheels in line and made long straights like Mark could.

The thing is natural talent in most sports doesnt equate to winning as much as you should

Take snooker i think most people will say the most talented players are Ronnie, White and Alex Higgins, those 3 have 7 world titles between them

Davis, Hendry and John Higgins have 17

Mauger and Rickardsson and Nielsen probably not as naturally talented as Ward, Loram, Lee but will always be more successful

Surely your joking. Rickardsson was an absolutely immense talent on a bike. Some of the moves he made were out of this world, he was simply awesome. 

As for Loram, entertaining yes exciting yes, one of the most skilled ever? Do me a favour! He had an exceptionally good year in 2000 and a good half season the year before but was always IMO in the shadow of Crump and Rickardsson, even Hamill. 

He was a very entertaining rider but even in league speedway, when he was around I would always of taken Crump, Rickardsson, Hamill, Adams, Sullivan and probably Hancock over him to lead my team. If he could gate it could of been a different story, but he couldnt and thats half the battle so thats that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottyfan said:

Chris Holder CAN ride Wolverhampton very well......scored 14/15 there a few years back with Woffinden and Lindgren both in the Wolves team.

Was’nt it at Wolverhampton that Holder and Ward won the EL pairs in about 2011??

I think it was at Kings Lynn