British Speedway Forum

Speaking as an outsider I've been to Poole and Swindon many times and always enjoy my visits but there's no way you can compare the racing to the NSS . Or Somerset and Scunny which are my top 3 tracks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thecoombdog said:

Im a Swindon fan who goes every week and the racing has been poo most weeks for the last few years.

Cant remember the last time the track was prepared brilliantly at the Abbey, Nick Morris for me is the one rider who has entertained us the most at the Abbey in the last few years.He is a racer and has come from the back alot,for me the second bend at the Abbey is very hairy even the brilliant Darcy got sucked into that air fence there.So you are right Coombdog we have seen quite alot of average racing in recent  years with the isolated good race chucked in to, hope it is better this year.Dont know what you think it would be great if  the young Anders Rowe could get some laps in before the meeting and in the interval as well  as that would be beneficial for him 

2 hours ago, BobC said:

I managed to to get to the NSS 3 times last season.

Meeting 1 was v Swindon in the KO Cup Semi Final. Fabulous meeting that had everything in atrocious conditions. Great racing.Anywhere else, I am convinced it would have been rained off.

Meeting 2 was the following night, Colts v Eastbourne. After the night before I wasnt expecting anything special at all. Incredibly, it was again superb entertainment. Track was superbly prepared, passing in almost every race . Inside, outside, through the middle, the young lads could race confidently anywhere at any time,despite the changeable weather.

Meeting 3 was a about a month later as the Colts won the NL title v Eastbourne. Once again tremendous racing. An absolute credit to NL racing.The NSS has a superb circuit.

I managed to get to Poole 7 times last season. Well, to be honest, I think I saw more full blooded racing in any ONE of those NSS meetings than I saw in any at Poole. Riders were literally bouncing across the track and you could clearly see hestistation.

Dont get me wrong, I am Poole through and through and have been since 1955.That wont change. I welcome the track being ripped up and hopefully will produce some better and safer racing. Only time will tell. Fingers crossed, eh? 

Great post from a true honest Poole fan.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BobC said:

I managed to to get to the NSS 3 times last season.

Meeting 1 was v Swindon in the KO Cup Semi Final. Fabulous meeting that had everything in atrocious conditions. Great racing.Anywhere else, I am convinced it would have been rained off.

Meeting 2 was the following night, Colts v Eastbourne. After the night before I wasnt expecting anything special at all. Incredibly, it was again superb entertainment. Track was superbly prepared, passing in almost every race . Inside, outside, through the middle, the young lads could race confidently anywhere at any time,despite the changeable weather.

Meeting 3 was a about a month later as the Colts won the NL title v Eastbourne. Once again tremendous racing. An absolute credit to NL racing.The NSS has a superb circuit.

I managed to get to Poole 7 times last season. Well, to be honest, I think I saw more full blooded racing in any ONE of those NSS meetings than I saw in any at Poole. Riders were literally bouncing across the track and you could clearly see hestistation.

Dont get me wrong, I am Poole through and through and have been since 1955.That wont change. I welcome the track being ripped up and hopefully will produce some better and safer racing. Only time will tell. Fingers crossed, eh? 

Yep i agree Bob, the make over should help, but the period between  bends 1-2 being completely re-laid and practice for me is a concern, its barely 3 weeks and imo know where near enough time for it to bed in properly. The 3-4th bends had far to much dirt on it last year, you dont need it, that now looks fine, the straights could be cambered better but they are ok. Its all about the prep Bob, if the boys put the four wheel blade round EVERY week before prep then you can do what you like with it, and it keeps it smooth and level.
But your next problem is shale, if its true that Breeden have stopped making Red shale then you need something very simular with not to much clay content in it... you can add it with bags of dust clay, but you cannot take it off... To much clay content is not good...

Edited by Starman2006

11 hours ago, BurntFaceMan said:

Why don't they truck it in from Europe? Road freight isn't that expensive compared to the reward, especially if you get multiple clubs in on it.

Mate, if it is the case that Breeden have stopped making Red shale then clubs have two choices, either get something very simular with not to much clay content or if you want it brought in clubs will have to start tapping up sponsors maybe 3-4 to help financilly.

Edited by Starman2006

7 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Cant remember the last time the track was prepared brilliantly at the Abbey, Nick Morris for me is the one rider who has entertained us the most at the Abbey in the last few years.He is a racer and has come from the back alot,for me the second bend at the Abbey is very hairy even the brilliant Darcy got sucked into that air fence there.So you are right Coombdog we have seen quite alot of average racing in recent  years with the isolated good race chucked in to, hope it is better this year.Dont know what you think it would be great if  the young Anders Rowe could get some laps in before the meeting and in the interval as well  as that would be beneficial for him 

Yeah totally agree about Morris. Very entertaining as can pass up inside and outside. But as you say its rare to see anyone like that these days.

Looking forward to young Anders ride for us very soon!

13 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

Im a Swindon fan who goes every week and the racing has been poo most weeks for the last few years.

An honest appraisal. 
Perhaps you should tell Starman, Orlov and Brum as they don't seem to believe it.  ;-)

7 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

An honest appraisal. 
Perhaps you should tell Starman, Orlov and Brum as they don't seem to believe it.  ;-)

I also go every week and yes there have been some awful meetings but there have also been some good ones with action as well.

Most of the bad meetings have been down to bad track preparation.

Edited by A ORLOV

My dad's bigger than your dad springs to mind here 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2018 at 9:00 PM, Stoke Potter said:

An honest appraisal. 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

On 3/3/2018 at 9:05 PM, A ORLOV said:

I also go every week and yes there have been some awful meetings but there have also been some good ones with action as well.

Most of the bad meetings have been down to bad track preparation.

Don't tell Potty that. He goes every week so knows best too.:rolleyes:

Just because the report about the track repairs (with photos) only appeared last Tuesday, 27th Feb, doesn't mean that the work was only just done!!

Hope to see plenty of familiar faces at tomorrow evenings REF social. 

Anyone who wonders about refereeing or fancies a look at what they ACTUALLY do at every meeting should not miss this one of a kind event!

Please see the thread 'INSIDE THE REFEREE'S BOX' in the discussion section next door...

• Like 2

Zagar , Kilderman and Bjerr confirmed for anniversary meeting, but no Hancock

On 1/28/2018 at 7:59 PM, poole keith said:

i wonder if matt will be thinking of avoiding some of the riders from darcys meeting just in case theres a light shower(of rain) forecast,tho of course the worst culprit is now a massive draw??

seems like he has

• Like 1

Major resurfacing road works from mid-March scheduled for Wimborne Road meaning one way traffic only from the George Pub roundabout. 

The southbound Wimborne Road route from the New Inn junction all the way to the George roundabout will be CLOSED. Work starts 12th March and will last approx 3 weeks - longer if there's bad weather!!

The club are advising fans to park in the Dolphin Shopping Centre car park and walk to the stadium for P&P day;  the 70th Anniversary meeting (Gates open 17.30 with a prompt start time of 1900 hrs) - and possibly the Good Friday meeting too.

Edited by Skidder1