British Speedway Forum

8 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Tide can make a big difference, believe it or not..

How far is the water from the track :blink:

6 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

How far is the water from the track :blink:

About 100 -150 metres.

However I don’t believe it has any affect whatsoever and is nothing but old wives tales or an April fools joke retold.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

About 100 -150 metres.

However I don’t believe it has any affect whatsoever and is nothing but old wives tales or an April fools joke retold.

I was thinking the same. But wasn't sure at all.

13 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

About 100 -150 metres.

It does make a difference Steve. We have two drains that go direct to the sea. When the tide is high moisture comes up on the track especially turn 3, when its low it dries out very quick in the summer. its not an old wives tale mate. Ask John Hector and Glyn.

Edited by Starman2006

11 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

About 100 -150 metres.

Believe it or not it does.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Was the tide out?

In and out all the time.:)

28 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

In and out all the time.:)

At last count twice a day.:P

Bit of intellectual here for a change....a water table exists in nature...especially when near a river or the sea..there is generally a level of water or moisture under the ground everywhere.  They've been having same problem at Scunthorpe and how far from the sea is that track!.  Think about how people used to dig wells for water. Even if you were in the desert you could dig deep enough for moisture.  The 3rd and 4th bend at Poole is generally heavier with moisture than the rest of the track due to this naturally. 

Interestingly they're building a water defence along Holes Bay road due to the rising tides and water table. Already been done at the Quay.  This is something that is going to have a larger effect on the Poole track in future. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=what+is+a+water+table&oq=what+is+a+water+table&aqs=chrome..69i57.5358j0j7&client=tablet-android-lenovo&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=u2IFIqosOHktFM:

Edited by Mr X
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Bit of intellectual here for a change....a water table exists in nature...especially when near a river or the sea..there is generally a level of water or moisture under the ground everywhere.  They've been having same problem at Scunthorpe and how far from the sea is that track!.  Think about how people used to dig wells for water. Even if you were in the desert you could dig deep enough for moisture.  The 3rd and 4th bend at Poole is generally heavier with moisture than the rest of the track due to this naturally. 

Interestingly they're building a water defence along Holes Bay road due to the rising tides and water table. Already been done at the Quay.  This is something that is going to have a larger effect on the Poole track in future. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=what+is+a+water+table&oq=what+is+a+water+table&aqs=chrome..69i57.5358j0j7&client=tablet-android-lenovo&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=u2IFIqosOHktFM:

Appreciate you putting this on here. Fed up of trying to explain there is a problem with tidal water.

13 minutes ago, sugarray said:

Appreciate you putting this on here. Fed up of trying to explain there is a problem with tidal water.

Mate dont bother, you i John Hector and Glyn knows. We also have french drains round the edge of the track over the white line about a foot down.. I didnt know that one untill John told me..

If it is true that the track gets flooded due to seawater coming up the pipe, why on earth don’t they put a valve on the pipe to stop it coming up?

52 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

If it is true that the track gets flooded due to seawater coming up the pipe, why on earth don’t they put a valve on the pipe to stop it coming up?

There will be a reason for it. Its not just the sea that floods the track. That is not strickly true, moisture comes up, it doesnt flood the track, but mix that with heavy rain at the same time then you do have a problem. primerily on bend 3. Thats why at high tide especially in spring and autumn you have to be a little careful with the watering due to the temperature drop in the evening, on a warm dry day as i said, you can water the bends and home  straight liberally up to a point, but you have to be careful on the back straight because the sun goes down quicker behind that glass grandstand and cast a shadow over the track, and heavy watering will just stand   Not so important in the summer, as the track dries very quickly, no matter how much water you dump on it. High tide only last for a while then starts to drop.
But reguardless of the sea level, if it chucks it down we are in the same boat as any other track in the country.. Thats why after heavy rain the other week, when Glyn went in and the track was a quagmire he did very well to get the meeting on. But even he had doubts.

Edited by Starman2006

Its an issue far more complicated than anyone can accept.  Its not like RoadRacing or F1 circuits where you simply have concrete surfaces.  I wouldn't like to be responsible for track prep.  Must be like chasing after the rabbit at greyhounds.  Never really winning. 

15 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Its an issue far more complicated than anyone can accept.  Its not like RoadRacing or F1 circuits where you simply have concrete surfaces.  I wouldn't like to be responsible for track prep.  Must be like chasing after the rabbit at greyhounds.  Never really winning. 

John, and now Glyn will get used to it. In the summer its not a problem, in the spring and Autumn its a bit different. they just have to adapt. But the main thing is we now get some consistant weather, and bends 1-2 have been completely re-laid. Glyns work will be shown to full effect. I also believe he took some dirt off bend 4, you do not need the volume of dirt there. when its heavily watered riders would straighten up. It now appears to be riding better. With Neil Golding now helping Glyn out it will take a bit of the work load off him. People just have to accept, that you can prepare the track the same way on consecutive weds, but it will not ride the same.
Neils write up in the Echo y'day was very good. Nobody should panic, it will come, our boys will get to grips with set ups. We just need to gate...:angry:

Edited by Starman2006