British Speedway Forum

4 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

My internet is playing up, but BFM is seen

I agreed to buy you a pint if we lose!

Each way

Edited by Bald Bloke

6 hours ago, BurntFaceMan said:

James Shanes was awful. Clearly not up to the job. Reserves famously win titles and James was rubbish.

rubbish is not the word to use james was a little out of his depth at times thats all

• Like 1

If you sign a 2 point rider, you can’t say he is rubbish if that’s what he is scoring.  If he was a 3 or 4 point reserve then that’s the average you would expect.  A 2-3 pointer doesn’t suddenly become 3-4 points overnight and given time, Shanes possibly would have improved - but he wasn’t given enough time to show any improvement and became a scapegoat for a massively underperforming team

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ray c said:

rubbish is not the word to use james was a little out of his depth at times thats all

And as a result his performances were rubbish. I'm not insulting the guy, I'm just stating he was a bit rubbish. The only wrong thing to do was keep him in the team. If you see a little kiddie struggling for air in a swimming pool you don't leave him there until he sorts himself out.

And we shouldn't have signed a 2 point rider anyway Steve0. I think we've got bigger problems to worry about when a supposedly top flight sport is recruiting people who've barely even rode a speedway bike before. Imagine Manchester United signing you because you'd played a bit of basketball before and you'd always fancied a kick about.

Edited by BurntFaceMan

33 minutes ago, BurntFaceMan said:

And as a result his performances were rubbish. I'm not insulting the guy, I'm just stating he was a bit rubbish. The only wrong thing to do was keep him in the team. If you see a little kiddie struggling for air in a swimming pool you don't leave him there until he sorts himself out.

And we shouldn't have signed a 2 point rider anyway Steve0. I think we've got bigger problems to worry about when a supposedly top flight sport is recruiting people who've barely even rode a speedway bike before. Imagine Manchester United signing you because you'd played a bit of basketball before and you'd always fancied a kick about.

He’s had a full season in the top league and part of a successful Championship club - so a bit disrespectful to refer to him as rubbish.

With the other riders signed, there was only a couple of points left to play with and Shanes was the best of the available bunch. 

2 hours ago, Steve0 said:

If you sign a 2 point rider, you can’t say he is rubbish if that’s what he is scoring.  If he was a 3 or 4 point reserve then that’s the average you would expect.  A 2-3 pointer doesn’t suddenly become 3-4 points overnight and given time, Shanes possibly would have improved - but he wasn’t given enough time to show any improvement and became a scapegoat for a massively underperforming team

I would say riding for us all last season was plenty of time, unfortunately he hasn't improved on last season, in fact he's gone backwards

16 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

I would say riding for us all last season was plenty of time, unfortunately he hasn't improved on last season, in fact he's gone backwards

The main reason i think is the quality of riders higher up have failed to do their job and james was the scapegoat jmo of course 

Looking at James' 20-meeting rolling average of 3.31, he was clearly not performing to that level so it was worth experimenting with a temporary replacement.

1 hour ago, Arthur54 said:

Dont agree Arthur. James was riding to his average this season. Matt pointed out, it will be hard for him this season, but the lad took the  bull by the horns purchased new equipment and took on a second night. up untill he was drropped he posted his best score paid 11 for Sheffield, that in my book is improvement. He was not going to improve overnight but he was getting there. But, because the club is built on success Matt has to do what he feels is right for the club sponsors and the fans.