Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

19 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

12th August effective from 15th August.

Hmmm Interesting.

Don't suppose Poole could loan him to Somerset on basis he is not allowed to ride in the 3 Aug matches against his parent club (like in football ??).

Also between 4th July and season end Somerset have about 16 league matches. They have about 12 from the 19th July meaning it could hit his GSA for next season if he did ride and Matt wanted him back with younger bro for 2019. They are after all both Poole assets.

Of course there is still the small matter of his visa issues and on the subject of the thinking out loud on needing income to maybe pay towards his son. He should be doing that anyway irrespectice of where he rides and I am sure his lucrative POL/SWE deals generate plenty of income. I would like to think it is his main priority in life anyway besides his job. Just replying to your thinking out loud comment ;-)

38 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I agree, Sidney. I think keeping the side together as much as possible can work wonders for team spirit and also crowd association. Sometimes changes can be made, but I think keeping them to a minimum and only where really necessary is the best way. I think you are right that the team will be build around those 3 next year.

Do you think  some people just like change everyyear?  get to past Christmas the excitement of a new season coming they want fresh faces.For me why change for change sake the art is blooding in fresh blood when needed hopefully an improver and then fit them in the jigsaw.If we win nothing this year so what we have been competitive it would of given me anough pleasure seeing Adam/Zach developing and Nick and there is still more to come from him in the future.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

But you have never quite  grasped the fact that most people only expected  James as a two pointer to score his average.If the rest of the team had been doing there jobs James would not even of been mentioned.Last year as the year went on James got better the simple fact is James was made the scapegoat but plenty have over the years.Loyalty patience it does work at Swindon we have Adam,David,Zach all riders that Rossiter believes in and they can be part of the future for years to come.

Rosco is the perfect team manager for those riders.

Alun knows what makes certain riders tick. 

Bellego and Wajtknecht wouldn't be the same riders under Middlo's management (My opinion)

41 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

All things being  equal would happily build the side around Kurtz/C.Holder/J.Holder/Josh G and throw in a couple of promising young brits and a.n.other.

Much as i want to win the league I also want to see a combination of exciting talent and promising youngsters.

Young guys like Drew Kemp/Jordan Jenkins/Leon Flint/Kyle Bickley/Jason Edwards who are 15/16 and Jack P.Blackburn who has returned only 17. These are the guys who potentially excite me for the future.

Give us some form of single league set up maybe with regions initially then knock outs and combine top guys/middle order and these youngsters maybe is a way forward ??

If the league can be structured where the likes of Jenkins,Kemp,Edwards,Brennan,Hume,Mountain,Wood,Blackburn,Flint, (etc ) are mixed in that could be the way to go.Most of those  riders can double up ( I know fixture planning is a problem) so riding in the top division is more about experience than anything.Two examples here a Poole team next year Holder,Holderjnr) Kurtz,Woryna,Sundstrom,Jenkins,Brennan.    Swindon. Morris,Ellis,Batch,Musielak Zach, Kemp, Hume  both exciting line ups.

4 minutes ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

Bellego and Wajtknecht wouldn't be the same riders under Middlo's management (My opinion)

Total rubbish Middleditch his record speaks for itself people who i know in speedway ( who i respect) all say what an excellent man/manager Middlo is he backs his riders to the hilt in bad times also he is a great human being .How much input does Neil have? does he take the brunt when Poole fail? does Ford call all the shots ?  the riders in that team this year have to take responsibility Middleditch cannot be blamed for everything.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

You change from day/day you gave  it large before the season started saying Poole would p... the league you put your head on the chopping block but when you got  it wrong you cannot take the flak.Who i feel for are the real Poole posters on here we all know who they are who are real people  and have a balanced opinion.It is a funny thing to say but i want Poole to turn it around they are good for the league i want the sport to prosper as a whole  and for it to get stronger.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Do you think  some people just like change everyyear?  get to past Christmas the excitement of a new season coming they want fresh faces.For me why change for change sake the art is blooding in fresh blood when needed hopefully an improver and then fit them in the jigsaw.If we win nothing this year so what we have been competitive it would of given me anough pleasure seeing Adam/Zach developing and Nick and there is still more to come from him in the future.

I think that, because of the low points limits over the past few years, the key to success has often been that of making a clever change mid-season when averages come into effect. Either replacing a rider whose average has gone up with a rider of better ability but on a lower average, or if the team average drops, bringing someone in to make up the numbers.

Because of this, there has become a bit of an obsession among fans with making changes, as it is seen as the key to success. You see it everywhere now - one bad result, or one bad meeting from a rider, and people are immediately calling for changes.

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

All things being  equal would happily build the side around Kurtz/C.Holder/J.Holder/Josh G and throw in a couple of promising young brits and a.n.other.

Much as i want to win the league I also want to see a combination of exciting talent and promising youngsters.

Young guys like Drew Kemp/Jordan Jenkins/Leon Flint/Kyle Bickley/Jason Edwards who are 15/16 and Jack P.Blackburn who has returned only 17. These are the guys who potentially excite me for the future.

Give us some form of single league set up maybe with regions initially then knock outs and combine top guys/middle order and these youngsters maybe is a way forward ??

It would be the worst thing for any young Brit to sign for Poole. They have an atrocious track record with discarding them.

there are some very exciting young kids coming thru and it’s a pleasure to watch their development. Hopefully they will choose very wisely when selecting who to sign for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Let's take advantage of it 

Most of the rest was just waffle in reality - the section I left shows the only bit really important to you..... and sums up a significant proportion of the Poole mentality

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

It would be the worst thing for any young Brit to sign for Poole. They have an atrocious track record with discarding them.

there are some very exciting young kids coming thru and it’s a pleasure to watch their development. Hopefully they will choose very wisely when selecting who to sign for.

Your side Wolves Steve have done for years what Swindon have in place now continuity using a same pool  of riders and getting the benefit.Thorssell a brilliant example now with PK,Freddie being awesome servants over the years how many clubs would of retained the young Greaves this year  not many chuffed that he is making progress this year.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Total rubbish Middleditch his record speaks for itself people who i know in speedway ( who i respect) all say what an excellent man/manager Middlo is he backs his riders to the hilt in bad times also he is a great human being .How much input does Neil have? does he take the brunt when Poole fail? does Ford call all the shots ?  the riders in that team this year have to take responsibility Middleditch cannot be blamed for everything.

I'm not blaming Middlo for everything. Just saying those 2 riders wouldn't be the same under Middlo's management. Even when I pay a compliment to someone I get come backs on it lol.

Going back to straight talking facts now.

The record is when Poole had everything on a plate. We had the GP stars and it made Middlo's job so much easier. Just like it would make any other manager's job easier.

When you can send out a Darcy & Chris partnership or a Janowski & Pawlicki partnership for example then you can't go wrong.

Those times are gone....For every club. Now Middlo has to get the best out of riders who are nowhere near that level.....and he cant do it. 

24 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

You change from day/day you gave  it large before the season started saying Poole would p... the league you put your head on the chopping block but when you got  it wrong you cannot take the flak.Who i feel for are the real Poole posters on here we all know who they are who are real people  and have a balanced opinion.It is a funny thing to say but i want Poole to turn it around they are good for the league i want the sport to prosper as a whole  and for it to get stronger.

Now you're being silly.

I can take the flack.......No problem.

I'm a straight talker if you don't like it then it's best to put me on ignore because I can provide evidence to back up my claims just like last night with the Shanes debate.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

Now you're being silly.

I can take the flack.......No problem.

I'm a straight talker if you don't like it then it's best to put me on ignore because I can provide evidence to back up my claims just like last night with the Shanes debate.

Why would i put you on ignore? your opinion is valid  you are entitled to it but you are not consistent Poole have had a great run success wise over a long period.Middleditch did not win all those trophie's by luck and by the way handling big stars keeping everyone happy is not easy.As for the Shanes debate you are totally WRONG would a team in trouble believe replacing a two pointer would be the end of there troubles just be truthful Shanes was shafted how is MS still there?.Even with Nielsen in the team the problems were still there replacing Shanes did not make a lot of difference do you think James scoring 4 rather than 2 was the difference I don't.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Yep, for once he makes a decent point. It is what I thought at the time but because its MFF it's ridiculed. Also I'm surprised Starman hasn't been on and told Adam's Dad to get back on the Swindon thread! :o :D :P

All threads are open to everybody, as you well know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Why would i put you on ignore? your opinion is valid  you are entitled to it but you are not consistent Poole have had a great run success wise over a long period.Middleditch did not not win all those trophie's by luck and by the way handling big stars keeping everyone happy is not easy.As for the Shanes debate you are totally WRONG would a team in trouble believe replacing a two pointer would be the end of there troubles just be truthful Shanes was shafted how is MS still there?.Even with Nielsen in the team the problems were still there replacing Shanes did not make a lot of difference do you think James scoring 4 rather than 2 was the difference I don't.

I know but when you look at the teams Poole had when they won those league titles it's completely different to now.

Look at Man City for example they've won a couple of premiership titles because they had the team......But before the money was invested in them they were only in the Premiership to make the numbers up.

Steve McLaren could manage Bayern Munich and they would still walk the Bundesliga.....Because they have the team.....But the fact is McLaren is not a good manager.

So my point is that Middlo might not be as good as people think he is. I'm not saying he's a poor manager because he isn't. 

People say look at Middlo's record but when you look at the teams we had those year's as well. It makes Middlo's job a lot easier to do.

For example the last 4 league titles. 

2011 - Holder & Ward were in the team.

2013 - Ward, Hancock, Holder, Pawlicki

2014 - Ward, Holder, Janowski, Pawlicki, Milik

2015 - Janowski & Holder as a top two.

Its different times now......Middlo's skills are being put to the test now. Just like every other manager in the league.

Poole have not got the best out of riders in the last few years. We are not talking about 1 or 2 riders we are talking about quite a few riders. So you have to look at the bigger picture and think why is this happening. Who is to blame for consistent underperforming riders. Just like any other sport you have to look at the manager. 

Then you look at Swindon and how well Rosco does with the resources he has and how well he does with his riders. Middlo has done well when he had the teams consisting of riders above. 

I'm spot on regarding Shanes.........Stand by everything I said on that debate. 

• Like 2