British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Wrong. He was still riding for Poole in 89.

I did say I think, I was a wee young'un back then but enjoyed watching Leigh for the majority of his career at Swindon.

16 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Adams spent the best part of a decade riding elsewhere and reaching his peak before returning to Swindon though didnt he?

Under 21 world champion whilst at Swindon & world number 3 (2005) & world number 2 (2007).

8 minutes ago, hyabb17 said:

Under 21 world champion whilst at Swindon & world number 3 (2005) & world number 2 (2007).

Still riding for POOLE in 89, i dont care about 05-07. Facts mate. He was also at POOLE in 0-3 with Trick.

Edited by Starman2006

11 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Still riding for POOLE in 89, i dont care about 05-07. Facts mate. He was also at POOLE in 0-3 with Trick.

What on earth are you talking about? Go and play with traffic would ya?!

and yes Hyabb your right, I always thought his prime was around 03ish but stand corrected.

2 hours ago, Pinny said:

And who was it who brought Holder to the UK ? Poole and let IOW use him until he was EL ready.

Tbf pinny, clubs were queuing up to bring holder over, my own included. Just poole's financials were better I guess.

2 minutes ago, Badge said:

Tbf pinny, clubs were queuing up to bring holder over, my own included. Just poole's financials were better I guess.

I remember being told the season before that Holder was being brought over by Poole and thats what happened.

My argument is not many riders are found as complete novice rookies and go on to be world class all under the guidance of one club/manager. 

Fords talent spotting has always been good, look at the amount of foreign riders he has brought in to these shores who were relatively unknown at the time... Lindback, Andersen, Cegielski, Madsen... im sure theres plenty more too. 

Poole can claim to have improved them as riders but to claim they only became world class because they rode for Poole

isnt correct as they also ride in Sweden and Poland from an early age.

They would have been given much help machinery wise than a lot of riders their age that is true.

Im sure Rye House and Wolves wouldn't claim Woffenden became Worldy because he rode for them.

I guess Swindon did it with Jan Andersson, although he went to Reading once he achieved top quality. There was also Jimmy Nilsen (and Per Jonsson at Reading) although both were seen as hot prospect s beforehand - even though the DofE didn't quite agree!

1 hour ago, Badge said:

And it would have been Peterborough if he didn't come to Poole. I think his family were/are friends with Mick Poole. 

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

And it would have been Peterborough if he didn't come to Poole. I think his family were/are friends with Mick Poole. 

They were/are.

17 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Do you think a mixture of say five good riders with two talented Brits maybe not all Brit's?  could it work Steve.? Would the youngster say have two races against his opposite 6/7 and maybe against a number 2 and 4 not easy to organise i know but for me it is an exciting thought.Just think Poole as a example Holder,Holder,jnr),Kurtz,Woryna,Sundstrom,Jenkins,Brennan.

Sorry late reply Sidney but was out last night wining and dining my wife, thus missing the carnage of the called off meeting.

Yes that kind of idea. Just trying to think outside the box so that it gives us a combo of decent experienced - plus what I called established young talent such as Kurtz/Woryna and a chance for these young 16 (I assume min age they would qualify for our top League/s) 17/18 & 19 year olds in NL.

We need to give the sport something which is exciting to watch and at the same time allow clubs to reduce their costs. I dont profess to have all the answers but we do have a chance with some of this exciting talent coming through. They still need the NL as that gives them the grounding from say 15, and against riders of similar quality where they can also gain confidence as they see results when they beat opposition. BUT it is too far a jump to  expect these boys to go into top teams. BUT also the flip side is they could do no worse if they are matched against similar in reserve races and then matched against another junior in races which also include say some of the middle order young riders. Just airing thoughts here so the rreal guys running the sport should be able to come up with some ideas. Would also maybe encourage some team riding from those with more experience to help out these young guys.

I think it should be applied to young N/L riders only say under 20 ??. Young riders in the Champ could be amongst those in the lower order of a Prem side or if we went to one big league then there would have to be some spread.

I just feel we need to move forward maybe in a format that mirrors how the Poles do it but in a way that suits British Speedways budget.

Set a team limit maybe with no av or a nominal low av for these N/L guys (say 2 per team ??)  - Bring in a one over 8 rule to keep the option if a club wants to sign a high scorer. We dont want to lose every top guy as I am sure those who can afford a Doyle/Cook/Bjerre/Morris/Thorsell/NKI or any one of that level on an 8 plus should be able to have one IF they so choose but it would cost them in the overall points ceiling lower down the team.

The idea may not be to everyones liking but just airing ideas on how we can harness this young talent coming through to help give them that extra push but also keep the established young talent we have with a sprinkling of top guys for those clubs who feel they can afford them.

As said its just ideas.

Edited by STEVEHOLS54
typos
  • Like 1

Just now, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Sorry late reply Sydney but was out last night wining and dining my wife, thus the carnage of the called off meeting.

Yes that kind of idea. Just trying to think outside the box so that it gives us a combo of decent experienced - plus what I called established young talent such as Kurtz/Woryna and a chance for these young 16 (I assume min age they would qualify for our top League/s) 17/18 & 19 year olds in NL.

We need to give the sport something which is exciting to watch and at the same time allow clubs to reduce their costs. I dont profess to have all the answers but we do have a chance with some of this exciting talent coming through. They still need the NL as that gives them the grounding from say 15, and against riders of similar quality where they can also gain confidence as they see results when they beat opposition. BUT it is too far a jump to  expect these boys to go into top teams. BUT also the flip side is they could do no worse if they are matched against similar in reserve races and then matched against another junior in races which also include say some of the middle order young riders. Just airing thoughts here so the rreal guys running the sport should be able to come up with some ideas. Would also maybe encourage some team riding from those with more experience to help out these young guys.

I think it should be applied to young N/L riders only say under 20 ??. Young riders in the Champ could be amongst those in the lower order of a Prem side or if we went to one big league then there would have to be some spread.

I just feel we need to move forward maybe in a format that mirrors how the Poles do it but in a way that suits British Speedways budget.

Set a team limit maybe with no av or a nominal low av for these N/L guys (say 2 per team ??)  - Bring in a one over 8 rule to keep the option if a club wants to sign a high scorer. We dont want to lose every top guy as I am sure those who can afford a Doyle/Cook/Bjerre/Morris/Thorsell/NKI or any one of that level on an 8 plus should be able to have one IF they so choose but it would cost them in the overall points ceiling lower down the team.

The idea may not be to everyones liking but just airing ideas on how we can harness this young talent coming through to help give them that extra push but also keep the established young talent we have with a sprinkling of top guys for those clubs who feel they can afford them.

As said its just ideas.

That's the problem though.

Club's cannot afford to reduce costs.........Some teams struggle financially as it is.

BT's contract is no good so clubs have had to make cutbacks.....Like Poole for example with the race suits.

2 hours ago, BobC said:

Fundin was already a 4 times World Champion before he signed for Belle Vue!

I think the post was intended to be funny. At least I hope it was.

However, there's no doubt that Craven, Collins and Morton all progressed from novices to world class at Belle Vue and during the late 60's and early 70's  Dent Oliver produced a stream of very good riders. Many Poole fans may remember Eric Broadbelt.

World Class riders obviously have to possess the talent, it's the advice and guidance they receive at whichever team they are attached to that can help that talent develop to its potential. 

2 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

I said the following below.......

'I did say I think, I was a wee young'un back then but enjoyed watching Leigh for the majority of his career at Swindon''

However is main success on a world stage was when he was riding for Swindon.

• Like 1