British Speedway Forum

43 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Personally I would get Anders Thomsen and Kacper gomolski  to replace Josh and Szczpaniak.

As a side issue I see Josh now being a POL Citizen is now riding in the POL Championship Quarter Final on Friday at Krosno.

Could we be emptying 2 Poles looking at your comment above ;-)

Personally would be surprised if Matt were to empty his team Captain and fork out for 2 lots additional costs. At least Josh is resident (sometimes) in UK where both named would come with  flights/accomodation etc.

Interesting post though.

4 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

As a side issue I see Josh now being a POL Citizen is now riding in the POL Championship Quarter Final on Friday at Krosno.

Could we be emptying 2 Poles looking at your comment above ;-)

Personally would be surprised if Matt were to empty his team Captain and fork out for 2 lots additional costs. At least Josh is resident (sometimes) in UK where both named would come with  flights/accomodation etc.

Interesting post though.

Interesting bit of Speedway Trivia.

According to his website. Thomsen is now 24. Got on his first 50 CC Speedway bike at 3 - Yes 3. That's what his website says.

Man do they start them young in DK. Maybe why a lot of them seem to look like going places when young but then taper off - I use MJJ and M.Bech as examples, as remember how they burst on to the SGP  scene as 16/17 year olds.

• 50cc, (1997 – 2004):
    2 x Danmarksmester
    5 x Fynsmester
    6 x Klubmester

• 80cc, (2005 – 2010):
    Individuel verdensmester
    Holdverdensmester
    Holddanmarksmester

As For Gomolski. If he rode nearly as good as he seems to think he is then indeed would be a good signing. For me, there lies the problem.

4 hours ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

BV - 3 riders double up

KL - 4 riders double up

Leicester - 4 riders double up

Poole - 2 riders double up

Rye - 4 riders double up

Somerset - 4 riders double up

Swindon - 4 riders double up

Wolves - 4 riders double up.

29-27

Just over half of the riders in this league double up so one big league is a no go.

Afraid the Elite league as was has reaped what it sowed over 10 years ago with filling teams with non UK 

riders and having no interest in introducing a youth system.

TV money pushe'd into the pockets of expensive overseas riders by all clubs so they could keep up with 

a couple of clubs that had the financial clout to do it.

Trying to justify the UK's standing as a leading speedway nation is sliding away so quickly now - yes we have a rider

on the world stage and some promising potential in some others.

It's now got to the stage where we have too few riders of ability and too many clubs - shocking and unthinkable

but the current solution isn't going to last without drastic action to the league set ups.  

7 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Still riding for POOLE in 89, i dont care about 05-07. Facts mate. He was also at POOLE in 0-3 with Trick.

Much better on here on matchdays when you are stalking the track staff from mid morning instead of posting trash on here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hyabb17 said:

I pay £17 at Swindon, didn't realise Poole was £18. I'm unsure why you've decided to be an arse to me, haven't done so to you or been rude, I'll put it down to a bad day.

People gave him a break after his unfortunate surgery in the winter but unfortunately hes quickly gone back to being the biggest mump on here. Ignore him Hyabb. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GWC said:

Afraid the Elite league as was has reaped what it sowed over 10 years ago with filling teams with non UK 

riders and having no interest in introducing a youth system.

TV money pushe'd into the pockets of expensive overseas riders by all clubs so they could keep up with 

a couple of clubs that had the financial clout to do it.

Trying to justify the UK's standing as a leading speedway nation is sliding away so quickly now - yes we have a rider

on the world stage and some promising potential in some others.

It's now got to the stage where we have too few riders of ability and too many clubs - shocking and unthinkable

but the current solution isn't going to last without drastic action to the league set ups.  

Lets hope the BSPA can finally see that.

When the likes of Matt Ford are feeling the pinch hard. Even more so with what must have been so far a financial disaster this season Reasons for that having been well aired in previous posts. Come on when what was viewed as the most financially rich club in Prem can't afford its own team kevlars ??

I really think it will take the likes of RH (who for me must be struggling fiancially) - Poole (who were for so long viewed as the cream of the crop financially) and 1 or 2 others to sit round this BSPA Annual get togehter and spell out once and for all that its got to be change or we go down the toilet certainly as far as the Prem is concerned.

Either that or the blinkered blindly carry on for another 1/2 seasons before the Bankrupcy signs start appearing. If they even get that far.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

I think Thomson is a very good shout very classy, young Lyager to could be an option i don't know if he is quite ready yet but he has talent i thought Scunny would of got him back to replace  Nielsen.

When i watched him passing Janowski on the tv league match i thought wow he is going very very fast as Rossi would say! 

So as a Poole fan Steve would you accept watching a Championship team of riders in order to save the sport?

10 hours ago, colin wood said:

Talking of clubs improving riders ,It's a well known fact that  Peter Craven Ivan Mauger, Ove Fundin, Peter Collins, and Jason Crump only became world champions because they signed for Belle Vue.They would have got nowhere otherwise lol.

Jason Crump Won The World  U-21 Championship (1995?) when he was at Poole!! That was long before he rode for Belle Vue!!!

12 minutes ago, GWC said:

So as a Poole fan Steve would you accept watching a Championship team of riders in order to save the sport?

Only if the admission prices were reduced dramatically - and that ain't likely to happen. Championship clubs are charging almost the same as many SGBP clubs now

I sometimes wonder how Poland and Sweden (supporters) accept promotion and relegation when you

consider the strength of the top league teams.

20 minutes ago, GWC said:

Flwg on from Skidders reply to yr question

Me personally yes but my situation is not tight like some others. To me whether it is £18 or £15 doesnt matter. Perhaps for some it does. If I can get a decent fix with half decent riders i will pay for it.

I would pay the same if i could get a chance to regularly see some of this young N/L talent coming through in conjunction with some of the other talent like the young Kurtz/Holder/Lambert/Woryna  to name a few and in conjunction with some of the Champ riders, many themselves up and coming talent like Zach W - Adam Ellis (who also ride Prem).

I still think we need to harness the young talent but also not totally lose those who have given us enjoyment over the years like Harris/Nicholls and others.

I dont hold all the answers just giving my views. The future of British Speedway for me short term isnt these BIG stars. We cant in the main afford them and we can get plenty of exposure to them weekly on Youtube etc or if you want your big night out book Cardiff GP. Don't worry if these POL teams see a UK talent they will be on to it just like Rybnik have in a tie up with Bewley even if not in the team yet. They are advanced enough to know a good potential rider coming through.

I still think there must be a way we can harness what talent we do have and present it in a way that we the speedway public benefit and also get exciting racing. Lets be honest the likes of Holder Jr/Kurtz/Woryna and many other young riders will still have their bloopers as they learn their trade with or without the Doyles/Holder Srs/Vaculiks/KK and others you may want to name. Hence why i keep banging on about taking the N/L talent (let them keep there N/L teams but work around it to get a couple into each Prem/Champ team) add these established young rider and a mix it in also with established riders in the Prem/Champ (Many who double up anyway).

If not I  really fear for our sport.

• Like 1

Not forgetting Justin Elkins who was a great for Swindon and went off the boil when he went to Poole :wink:

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Not forgetting Justin Elkins who was a great for Swindon and went off the boil when he went to Poole :wink:

Don't remember him being on the boil! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GWC said:

I know I am not Steve but, personally, have to say I really enjoyed the Stewkesbury era ...... 1985 onwards from memory ..... after the Chandler promotion collapse aided by Mike Lee's ban.

Not being able to see Sam Ermolenko progress was outweighed by return of Martin Gates, retention of Kevin Smith & Stan Bear, and progression of a host of youngsters ..... raw Aussies & my fave Dave Biles.

Cost in terms of my wallet was not an issue in those days given quality of entertainment ..... thus would have no issue watching Championship as opposed to Premiership provided racing was exciting ..... and there ain't much to beat ATM.

I guess most will have same view.

• Like 5