British Speedway Forum

8 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

If that ws true other clubs would be losing tens of thousands a week. Poole haven’t got an expensive team and Matt doesn’t pay more than he can afford. Poole’s crowds are down but not bad compared to other clubs.

Agree, of all the UK tracks I've attended this year, and that's fair few, crowds have been very poor.

Polish League meetings seem to be on the up this year.

There must not be good tools or equipment available to Glyn cos he got the Wolves track unflooded in a day, so can't be his skills. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OFMiles said:

When I spoke to Glyn he said he had old &dated equipment

Sounds about right, all Kippers & curtains!!!

10 hours ago, poole keith said:

spoke to some permanent stadium employees today who confirmed there was no rain at the stadium all day and that bends 1 and 2 had puddles of water early am but instead of brushing off the water the track was bladed then rolled so 1st 2 bends were hard on top but mush underneath,nothing to do with rain on the day or high tides!!  i was informed that the track curator  was sacked that day as i posted on the day.i was told that people were still being turned away at 7.30 would have been a bumper much needed crowd.Matt was heard saying it was his most embarrassing moment in speedway,i feel for any speedway promoter that suffers such a hit through no fault of their own,i understand extensive work is planned for next week and im sure all genuine speedway fans hope its successful

Not quite correct but gist of story is there.

Glyn hasn't been sacked but something else is being tried.

Mind as he said to me usually means fired. Really like the guy and got on well.

Sad state of affairs at our speedway venue at the moment 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OFMiles said:

When I spoke to Glyn he said he had old &dated equipment

We all know Matt has never put any time, effort and money into the track... 

• Like 2

John Hector did the track for years, and if I recall completely ballsed the track up one week that led to a similar cancellation. He offered his resignation which was accepted. 

Last week it was a dry day so at least 11 hours to get the track right. But it didn’t happen. Tens of thousands of pounds of lost revenue. What looked like a very big crowd turned up only to go home disappointed in being told no racing. Some may never come back. Matt Ford alledgedly saying his most embarressing moment in his time as a promoter.

There’s no doubt heads have rolled in this debacle.

23 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

John Hector did the track for years, and if I recall completely ballsed the track up one week that led to a similar cancellation. He offered his resignation which was accepted. 

Last week it was a dry day so at least 11 hours to get the track right. But it didn’t happen. Tens of thousands of pounds of lost revenue. What looked like a very big crowd turned up only to go home disappointed in being told no racing. Some may never come back. Matt Ford alledgedly saying his most embarressing moment in his time as a promoter.

Still haven't actually seen a apology for the whole farce .people in the queue with us in total disbelief .

Matt has had quite a few "very embarrassing moments" in recent years.

At the end of the day the buck stops with him.

Employ the wrong track guy, it's Matt's fault. Employ the wrong rider's, it's Matt's fault etc etc. As much as he cries foul the blame is with him. Maybe he needs to take a long hard look at himself and realise the way he treats his employee's needs to change and show some honesty to his customers.

He's now reaping the rewards of historical behaviours. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It seems like the track guy shouldn't be made a scapegoat though. He does at least two other tracks which don't seem to have dodgy call offs, seems like the track needs completely re doing and better equipment. Hopefully he'll invest into the track a bit more now. 

• Like 2

Just as a matter of interest, if Matt was to chuck it all in, aside from all those on here that would do the expected cheering whooping and generally pi$$ing themselves, who do you think would be in a position to buy the club - both financially and looking at speedway as a whole - or would people be happy for the club to just disappear?!

Serious question.

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Just as a matter of interest, if Matt was to chuck it all in, aside from all those on here that would do the expected cheering whooping and generally pi$$ing themselves, who do you think would be in a position to buy the club - both financially and looking at speedway as a whole - or would people be happy for the club to just disappear?!

Serious question.

Disappear anyway if people stop going Skidder! Still some loan fees coming in, can he not invest something into the track.

If the customer is always right, then track needs sorting!! 

11 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Disappear anyway if people stop going Skidder! Still some loan fees coming in, can he not invest something into the track.

If the customer is always right, then track needs sorting!! 

If it were me I'd put legal pressure on the Council who in turn do the same to Stadia UK to pay for the track to be 'sorted'. Matt only rents the stadium 'facilities' after all!!

Or maybe with the longer term redevelopment of the whole stadium site still on the Council planners' table (which may see a reconfigured track within a reconfigured facility?) maybe nobody is prepared to 'invest' a huge amount?!

Lets not forget Matt paid for turns 1 and 2 to be relaid before the season started and those improvements were readily agreed by the riders to give a smooth surface  - admittedly in hindsight it could have been done earlier with time to settle, but maybe Matt doesn't rent or have access to the facility between November and February? Why would he or anyone?

Edited by Skidder1

28 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Serious question.

Buy it? Sure, someone would if it’s profitable. If it’s not, it would be down to Matt to give it to a benefactor.

Either way, let’s hope it goes to a true speedway enthusiast who cares about the bigger picture rather than sharp practice.