British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, ray c said:

or even poole on a wednesday ?

Especially when the tide is in!

• Like 1

There's a noticeable difference in the attitudes from fans of different teams. Poole fans seem quick to criticise and want changes as soon as riders go through a bad patch or don't live up to their expectations. Kurtz was a hero, the new superstar and now he is going through a bad patch he is constantly criticised, Josh G is what he is, a good second string, possible third heat leader, he is having a difficult time and so must go, Szczepaniak is not far off his starting average but because he was expected to be far better, a ringer, he must go.

At Belle Vue Cook had been going through a difficult time, the fans are loyal and supportive not calling for him to go and if this week is any guide, it seems he may be getting back to form. Drozdz has struggled, not achieving his starting average but again fans are not calling for his head, they can see he is giving 100% and like Cook,. he has had two impressive performance this week.

Maybe, just maybe, riders respond better when fans and teams offer encouragement and show loyalty than when they must feel the insecurity of knowing that there is a sword hanging over them.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

There's a noticeable difference in the attitudes from fans of different teams. Poole fans seem quick to criticise and want changes as soon as riders go through a bad patch or don't live up to their expectations. Kurtz was a hero, the new superstar and now he is going through a bad patch he is constantly criticised, Josh G is what he is, a good second string, possible third heat leader, he is having a difficult time and so must go, Szczepaniak is not far off his starting average but because he was expected to be far better, a ringer, he must go.

At Belle Vue Cook had been going through a difficult time, the fans are loyal and supportive not calling for him to go and if this week is any guide, it seems he may be getting back to form. Drozdz has struggled, not achieving his starting average but again fans are not calling for his head, they can see he is giving 100% and like Cook,. he has had two impressive performance this week.

Maybe, just maybe, riders respond better when fans and teams offer encouragement and show loyalty than when they must feel the insecurity of knowing that there is a sword hanging over them.

Excellent post I agree with everything you say . Got to win attitude I'm afraid 

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

It is ok having one rider having a bad meeting but you cannot have two or more and expect to win meetings. With Josh G he has been poor all season and no sign of improvement, Cook has been a bit off but still scoring fairly well or he wouldn't still have an gsa of 8.20. Has Cook got as little as 3 points in a league meeting this season..Drozdz has not been that good but that is to be expected of a young pole coming over here for the first time.

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

Easier to be patient with the odd rider or two when like BV you are sitting close to the top and knowing you will probably comfortably make the play offs. BV have been in that situation for a good few years now even if they have just lost out in the semi's/finals.

BV have had riders lose a bit of form and then find it again but overall the team has performed well and has won more than it has lost thus allowing all to be patient in letting riders either find their feet or find some lost form. 

When you have so many decent riders in a team like Poole had at the start of this season and of course there was excitement an a level perhaps of expectation. Then for various reasons the team finds itself bottom of the Prem with so many riders not performing it kind of beggars belief to be honest. Yes I know that some will say that this isnt POL and their form means nothing here but lets get a reality check. POL is the World's top league/s. Based on all logical form you would have expected Spaniak and Worna to have scored way above what their GSA's were and I reckon in the case of Woryna especially most if not all clubs would have bitten your hand off if you had offered him as a freebie without all the expense involved. Kurtz was a man going forward although in his defense I fully expected ups and downs as he finds his way as a 21 year old now also undertaking the rigours of POL/SWE/UK. The last week or  two he has been bang out of form.

Sundstrom for me was a risk as his POL form wasnt good last season although his SWE form was ok. BUT he had not ridden UK for years and if he was that good then why didnt anyone go for him in the interim. This  season he has been poor in POL and to a degree in SWE. Recently lost his place in POL to a returning Vaculik and wont find it easy to get back in imo. Now finding some form for Poole but with so many riding so bad its difficult to carry riders when the pressure is on and you sit bottom.

Josh G has been poor pure and simple and the stats dont lie. Yes again one of many not performing so pressure is building the more it drags on. Worrall is what he is - Can be good one minute - av the next. Not as good as his twin and maybe a 6/6.5 pointer is his level in Prem.

For me Klindt will be ok at reserve but he will always be iffy in the main body of the team.

Anyway if Poole ever get back to the giddy heights of a regular top 4 and looking good for play offs then I think most Poole fans will happily be patient in letting the odd rider find his way or rediscover some lost form. In the meantime you can't blame them for not being happy at the current situation. On paper this team did look good. I doubt if anyone expected them to be so bad with so many under performing.

2 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

It is ok having one rider having a bad meeting but you cannot have two or more and expect to win meetings. With Josh G he has been poor all season and no sign of improvement, Cook has been a bit off but still scoring fairly well or he wouldn't still have an gsa of 8.20. Has Cook got as little as 3 points in a league meeting this season..Drozdz has not been that good but that is to be expected of a young pole coming over here for the first time.

You are looking at the rolling averages. Cook's average this year is 7.76, including his good score on Wednesday, about 0.75 below his starting average and the expectation was that he would improve on last year. Drozdz was assessed at 5 but is currently averaging 3.59, again including his good score this week. You say he is a young Pole and not expected to do well but I doubt that would be sufficient reason to avoid calls for his head at Poole. Look at Shanes. A young Brit, not expected to do well but actually achieving what many expected. Agreed some fans were supportive but others and the management were happy to sacrifice him in the hope of better results.

Until the win at Rye on Wednesday Belle Vue were in a false position in the league. If you compared their points lost at home to points gained away they were in a similar position to Poole. Without looking it up again I think Belle Vue stood at -1 and Poole -2. So two riders not performing as expected, in reality not in a play off position but still the fans remained loyal and stood behind them. 

23 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

You are looking at the rolling averages. Cook's average this year is 7.76, including his good score on Wednesday, about 0.75 below his starting average and the expectation was that he would improve on last year. Drozdz was assessed at 5 but is currently averaging 3.59, again including his good score this week. You say he is a young Pole and not expected to do well but I doubt that would be sufficient reason to avoid calls for his head at Poole. Look at Shanes. A young Brit, not expected to do well but actually achieving what many expected. Agreed some fans were supportive but others and the management were happy to sacrifice him in the hope of better results.

Until the win at Rye on Wednesday Belle Vue were in a false position in the league. If you compared their points lost at home to points gained away they were in a similar position to Poole. Without looking it up again I think Belle Vue stood at -1 and Poole -2. So two riders not performing as expected, in reality not in a play off position but still the fans remained loyal and stood behind them. 

So if you were bottom like we were you would be happy to stick by the team and not want changes. I was supportive of Shanes but I understood that changes had to be made like when you sacrificed Sedgeman for Tungate and Sedgeman wasn't going badly but the management saw the opportunity to improve the team, so don't tell me you always stand by your riders. Personally I have no problem replacing out of form riders  if we can improve the team by making changes

Edited by foreverblue

35 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

To be in the top 4 (rather than the bottom 1 or 2, or 3) you need to win meetings or at least pick up some away points. Poole haven't been doing enough of that.

nb. Interesting to see so many fans jumping on the MJJ bandwagon??!:party: Not sure that any changes will be made in the short term although it may all revolve around changes elsewhere?!

6 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Middlo in the paper says they will rediscover their form but how long can we Wait and also says Szczepaniak rode well but we can't keep making excuses, a bad ride or two is ok but to score as badly as they are on a regular basis isnt acceptable. 

Middlo is so full of crap!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

To be in the top 4 (rather than the bottom 1 or 2, or 3) you need to win meetings or at least pick up some away points. Poole haven't been doing enough of that.

nb. Interesting to see so many fans jumping on the MJJ bandwagon??!:party: Not sure that any changes will be made in the short term although it may all revolve around changes elsewhere?!

Your last  sentence looks a bit cryptic. May revolve around changes elsewhere ??

Hopefully not a team folding before the season ends thus freeing up riders ??? Nothing would surprise me with the doom and  gloom surrounding the dwindling support around many of the clubs. Some surely cannot keep bleeding finance as some are currently.

Maybe not changes afoot then as you eluded to in your orginal post ?? Note also the word used changes. i.e more than one ??

19 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Your last  sentence looks a bit cryptic. May revolve around changes elsewhere ??

Hopefully not a team folding before the season ends thus freeing up riders ??? Nothing would surprise me with the doom and  gloom surrounding the dwindling support around many of the clubs. Some surely cannot keep bleeding finance as some are currently.

Maybe not changes afoot then as you eluded to in your orginal post ?? Note also the word used changes. i.e more than one ??

No changes no playoffs nearly halfway with fixtures how long can we go before its to late .we are struggling to find one heatleader in the team let alone three ?

6 hours ago, Aces51 said:

We are in it to win it simple as..

12 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

We are in it to win it simple as..

Could have fooled us :rofl:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

matt  is reluctant to get  rid  of  "names"   he prefers to  change lower order riders..how long did it take for the bjarne pederson

penny  to drop  whilst changing lower order riders a few years ago......more recently K.K.....chance after chance..

.hope he gets clued up  before its to late

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, capone said:

matt  is reluctant to get  rid  of  "names"   he prefers to  change lower order riders..how long did it take for the bjarne pederson

penny  to drop  whilst changing lower order riders a few years ago......more recently K.K.....chance after chance..

.hope he gets clued up  before its to late

He soon got rid of Chris Holder for a year!