British Speedway Forum

17 hours ago, Trees said:

Yeah got rid of him for a year! Which has turned into two! 

Or 3 or 4......

9 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Or 3 or 4......

Or forever :angry:shame really 

12 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

:lol: Starman I swear you are secretly a stand up comedian in your spare time!

Yep, definitely a comedian.

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Or people will stop going...

Are Poole fans really that fickle? One poor season and everyone stops going? Swindon didn’t win the league for 45 years but we’re still going.

Stop sounding like a load of spoilt brats, and support your riders. Kurtz and Grajczonek will come good, even if you don’t win it this year.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Aces51 said:

That was exactly my point that you disagreed with yesterday but related to the fans. You have a far better chance of riders improving if everyone involved with the club encourages them. As you now say there is no hope if you don't.

There is no hope for the underperforming riders if you don't encourage which is what Middlo is trying to do because there will be no changes in the short term but in my view it won't work and we still need at least one change to be competitive 

10 hours ago, DC2 said:

Are Poole fans really that fickle? One poor season and everyone stops going? Swindon didn’t win the league for 45 years but we’re still going.

Stop sounding like a load of spoilt brats, and support your riders. Kurtz and Grajczonek will come good, even if you don’t win it this year.

Some, not all have Fords win at all costs atitude.Theres only so many riders to piss of before they say, idiot Ford..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DC2 said:

Poole do struggle to maintain crowd numbers when not 'successful'..

It's more noticeable there though because they usually start off with a decent crowd to lose..

Most losing teams will usually drop a percentage of there crowd, say 15%-20% or so...

Even more so maybe when that club is used to success? 

With Poole's usual following that level of % means a significantly high number of punters..

When my team were poor, crowds would drop from about 1100 to 900/800 meaning visually hardly any difference noticed. (A poor crowd to start with can hardly look any worse)..

I would imagine going from say 2500 to 2000 would stand out quite significantly..

And worryingly deliver a big 'few thousand pounds hole' each week in the income that had been budgeted for...

Think Poole would love to see 2000-2500 but not sure it's happened this year

51 minutes ago, sugarray said:

Think Poole would love to see 2000-2500 but not sure it's happened this year

King's Lynn meetings 1400 approx

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Poole do struggle to maintain crowd numbers when not 'successful'..

It's more noticeable there though because they usually start off with a decent crowd to lose..

Most losing teams will usually drop a percentage of there crowd, say 15%-20% or so...

Even more so maybe when that club is used to success? 

With Poole's usual following that level of % means a significantly high number of punters..

When my team were poor, crowds would drop from about 1100 to 900/800 meaning visually hardly any difference noticed. (A poor crowd to start with can hardly look any worse)..

I would imagine going from say 2500 to 2000 would stand out quite significantly..

And worryingly deliver a big 'few thousand pounds hole' each week in the income that had been budgeted for...

At least we still get a crowd. Our bad attendances many other cubs would love. Including yours..  ;)

36 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

At least we still get a crowd. Our bad attendances many other cubs would love. Including yours..  ;)

Pretty much the point I was making...

Your crowds are very good (up against a pretty poor Sport average admittedly)...

(And obviously when you are winning). 

The problem you have though I would suggest is Matt will budget his income on a certain base crowd level which he would guestimate being linked to success...

The success he would have expected to be delivered given the team he put together....

I would suspect therefore his calculations were based on an expected better set of results, hence no 'breaking the bank' to bring in any World Class rider or any up and coming young 'four point superstar' which he has done so many times successfully in the past....

To Matt it has always been a business..

And quite rightly he cuts his cloth accordingly..

Those fickle fans staying away (which given their crowd numbers, Poole clearly have more than most), therefore cannot moan if he doesn't put his hand in his pocket and take risks with the overall business. .

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Pretty much the point I was making...

Your crowds are very good (up against a pretty poor Sport average admittedly)...

(And obviously when you are winning). 

The problem you have though I would suggest is Matt will budget his income on a certain base crowd level which he would guestimate being linked to success...

The success he would have expected to be delivered given the team he put together....

I would suspect therefore his calculations were based on an expected better set of results, hence no 'breaking the bank' to bring in any World Class rider or any up and coming young 'four point superstar' which he has done so many times successfully in the past....

To Matt it has always been a business..

And quite rightly he cuts his cloth accordingly..

Those fickle fans staying away (which given their crowd numbers, Poole clearly have more than most), therefore cannot moan if he doesn't put his hand in his pocket and take risks with the overall business. .

Assuming Matt pays decent points money, the poor season the Pirates are having would equate to a lot less money being paid out & more in Matt's kitty!

All teams work with-in the same points limit, unlike other sports it's not that easy just to go & buy success, maybe the time has come to invest in up-&-coming british talent,  most things go round in circles in life & that includes speedway!

34 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Assuming Matt pays decent points money, the poor season the Pirates are having would equate to a lot less money being paid out & more in Matt's kitty!

All teams work with-in the same points limit, unlike other sports it's not that easy just to go & buy success, maybe the time has come to invest in up-&-coming british talent,  most things go round in circles in life & that includes speedway!

Speedway definitely goes round in circles - for 4 laps a race :wink:

21 hours ago, Ghosty said:

It's not that Poole are getting hammered though..

Their team average hasn't dropped off a cliff, therefore the points money saved won't be too great I would imagine. Especially if some of the deals are not only driven by points earned...

500 missing punters at circa £15 a pop (after all other on the night revenue stream is added, and VAT removed), leaves a £7000 plus hole in the income...

Not sure Poole will be saving that on reduced wages..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1