British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, Knightime said:

I don't believe Matt Ford would walk away due to criticism - he is tougher than that.

Reading his article his fears for the sport are more poignant - he has a perceived value on the Pirates and if things look to be going the way he predicts then obviously he would want to cash out before that value completely disappears - equally he can't say that if he wants a buyer!

The BSPA need to wake up - continually de-grading the product only has one ending - somehow the interest needs to be re-kindled and that means radical change of some sort (I know I don't have the answer either - but I'm not paid to find it!)

Its value is already down its not worth anything and I believe in terms of assets they are not worth the paper there written on 

20 minutes ago, Knightime said:

I don't believe Matt Ford would walk away due to criticism - he is tougher than that.

Reading his article his fears for the sport are more poignant - he has a perceived value on the Pirates and if things look to be going the way he predicts then obviously he would want to cash out before that value completely disappears - equally he can't say that if he wants a buyer!

The BSPA need to wake up - continually de-grading the product only has one ending - somehow the interest needs to be re-kindled and that means radical change of some sort (I know I don't have the answer either - but I'm not paid to find it!)

very good post,he has to give a reason for selling,cant say " speedways in real trouble,my profits are way down,i need to get out and will take the best offer i get" so just say people want me out and want a change,im still a fan but i will go. ps had some simply wonderfull evenings at wimborne rd under his rule and watched some fantastically  brilliant riders,the like of which we probably will never see in british league speedway again

Shovvy is ready, willing and able. Come on, Steve, show Ford how it’s done!  :)

1 hour ago, Orbiter said:

He can see the way speedway is going, one big league or most of the Prem clubs closing down, so wants to get what he can out of whatever value is left from the Poole team which is not a lot.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Knightime said:

1 hour ago, Orbiter said:

Its value is already down its not worth anything and I believe in terms of assets they are not worth the paper there written on 

Agree with both the above

1 hour ago, Knightime said:

Yup good post and correct.  But as you say, its now over to the management comittee to come up with a compromise with all the Premiership promotions, who need to get together and say, this is what we want. Dont like it, theres the door. If it doesnt happen this year then i do fear greatly for our sport at a top flight level.

He should have got out when there was real value in the club and sport.

Unfortunutely it’s a few years too late from his own perspective and highlights the criticism the man attracts - he appears to me over the years to be a promoter in a committee of one - what’s best for Matt Ford.

I would love it if he came up with a plan to put the sport right but alas I cannot see him wanting to take that stance.

There are many promoters you can say are stick in the mud and maybe have brought the sport to the presipece but I am sure it’s those promoters who will stick it out and bring about a change however bad it looks initially.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Yup good post and correct.  But as you say, its now over to the management comittee to come up with a compromise with all the Premiership promotions, who need to get together and say, this is what we want. Dont like it, theres the door. If it doesnt happen this year then i do fear greatly for our sport at a top flight level.

How many times is it said though the BSPA don't do nothing 

27 minutes ago, Orbiter said:

Yup We know. But now they are going to have to..

26 minutes ago, Orbiter said:

Well in Jon Cooks decent article today on the Lakeside website he says that there is a BSPA Association meeting next week.

They could hold it as an extraordinary meeting in view of the dire circumstances the sport is facing. Even if it is to get an agreement in principal on how they approach the annual BSPA Conference and do they really need to get their backsides into gear a lot earlier than November in order to put in a framework for the sport that stops some either shutting up shop or walking away from the sport.

It's surely got to be at the stage now where some major surgery is performed and not pussy footing around so that we lose more clubs and more importantly supporters.

if many of these people with decent and successful business interests cannot find a solution then we are on a one way ticket out. Fortunately we still have decent youngsters coming through in the N/L worth watching, but what kind of message does this send to them from a speedway career perspective if they see the sport going to the wall and slowly self destructing itself.

The age of the 5-man teams is coming!!!

Suspect Ford has had enough losing money year on year. Also his team building has been well calculated but badly executed recently - the riders are to blame for that.

I fear for the future of Poole without Ford. With the shambolic state of the sport in the UK, no commitment by top riders and no decent sponsorship,  who would be willing to step in knowing any investment will give little or no return?

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

The age of the 5-man teams is coming!!!

I really hope not. It will probably stop me from going.

Just now, Steve Shovlar said:

I really hope not. It will probably stop me from going.

I think this will be a massive AGM this Winter Steve..