British Speedway Forum

10 minutes ago, Aviator said:

Starman, I am fully conversant with the REF and probably closer to it than you might be giving me credit for. However, this is not about the good work that the REF and in particular the work and effort that Stan and Val do to keep it all working it is about collections for individual riders (which apparently has to be approved from an ivory Tower! I’m simply stating my own personal position and for clarity it is:

Collections for all riders in the 2018 campaign = I’m in 

collections for named riders = I’m out.

simples

Yes it does have to get approved from the  Ivory Tower as you put it.  But sadly you cannot do it for everybody, its just not posible. For example, the injured Jockeys fund does it for all jocks who are either injured or have to retire from race riding due to an injury i have a mate who had to retire from the saddle, benifited from it and is now a surveyor. In which Oaksey house also helps with there re- abillitation. They are a big body, we are just a small club in the great scheme of things. And thats why the Ben fund is also a very good thing.
Edit, ive just seen the last post of yours, thats good to hear.

Edited by Starman2006

8 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Yes it does have to get approved from the  Ivory Tower as you put it.  But sadly you cannot do it for everybody, its just not posible. For example, the injured Jockeys fund does it for all jocks who are either injured or have to retire from race riding due to an injury i have a mate who had to retire from the saddle, benifited from it and is now a surveyor. In which Oaksey house also helps with there re- abillitation. They are a big body, we are just a small club in the great scheme of things. And thats why the Ben fund is also a very good thing.
Edit, ive just seen the last post of yours, thats good to hear.

Sorry, I started to glaze over the moment you mentioned horse racing and I’ve only just woken up!!

22 hours ago, Aviator said:

Ps. I still sponsor riders!!

...But not Poole ones?! ;)  (Thats a question not a statement.)

PS Great to see the Just Giving page for Chris Harris' bike repairs is now over £600.  I believe the plan is to let it continue for the coming week and then present the proceeds to him at the Meeting on Monday 13th August

Edited by Skidder1

23 hours ago, Aviator said:

I have to say, after last year I’m a bit sceptical about donating for a named rider. Quite rightly, we happily contributed to a club backed collection for Nic Klint when he sustained his injury but, sadly failed to do so when Kyle Newman was injured!! So how does that work. Happily the REF stepped in and helped Kyle out. I for one would be delighted to contribute to a “Poole Riders Hardship Fund” but, only if it is fairly distributed to those riders who are injured or, have sustained a heavy financial loss whilst riding in this years campaign.

...I don't understand.  Thats exactly what the REF does - donates to Poole riders if they get injured or suffer  major bike damage when riding for Poole.

So Chris Holder rode in England for Australia yesterday, does that mean he's free to ride over here now

Not Poole related, but some sad news,Bob Dugard passed away this morning RIP Bob

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

...But not Poole ones?! ;)  (Thats a question not a statement.)

PS Great to see the Just Giving page for Chris Harris' bike repairs is now over £600.  I believe the plan is to let it continue for the coming week and then present the proceeds to him at the Meeting on Monday 13th August

Poole and others, funnily enough. 

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

...I don't understand.  Thats exactly what the REF does - donates to Poole riders if they get injured or suffer  major bike damage when riding for Poole.

I thought the “E” in REF stood for Equipment and so in due course CH would most likely get his share. The difficulty as I see it is in setting a precedent where all riders expect a collection (beyond that provided by the REF) if they damage equipment. I don’t recall us having a collection last year for Hans Andersen when he blew up an engine to the tune of £4 + k, which by the way was double what it will be to replace the damaged parts of Bombers chassis.

7 minutes ago, Aviator said:

I thought the “E” in REF stood for Equipment and so in due course CH would most likely get his share. The difficulty as I see it is in setting a precedent where all riders expect a collection (beyond that provided by the REF) if they damage equipment. I don’t recall us having a collection last year for Hans Andersen when he blew up an engine to the tune of £4 + k, which by the way was double what it will be to replace the damaged parts of Bombers chassis.

How does one become a REF member?

2 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

So Chris Holder rode in England for Australia yesterday, does that mean he's free to ride over here now

In a word, no. 

2 hours ago, Aviator said:

Bars back wheel foot rest mudguards chain sprokets. As i said, you cannot do it for everybody. Maybe we are being Generous, {good horse that,} because its the first time that Bomber has actually signed to ride for us and he's making himself popular with the club and fans. Chris Holder or ar you talking about C Harris ?  Yes he would have got his share anyway, but im sure it will be brought forward. Please dont abrieviate..

Edited by Starman2006

I dont get why Bomber is deemed worthy of a collection but Nielsen wasn't. Harris still riding and earning. I suppose though unless you are Darcy Ward at Poole then its out of sight out of mind. 

• Like 7

Just now, thecoombdog said:

I dont get why Bomber is deemed worthy of a collection but Nielsen wasn't. Harris still riding and earning. I suppose though unless you are Darcy Ward at Poole then its out of sight out of mind. 

As i said, we cant do it for everybody. Please, please, read the posts..

5 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

As i said, we cant do it for everybody. Please, please, read the posts..

That isn't the answer is it though? One rider crashes and stops earning and doesnt get one. Another crashes and probably earns the repair cash that evening. Somoene somewhere must have thought Bomber was a more worthy cause so hopefully someone who isnt up Ford's arse can provide us with the answer.

2 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

That isn't the answer is it though? One rider crashes and stops earning and doesnt get one. Another crashes and probably earns the repair cash that evening. Somoene somewhere must have thought Bomber was a more worthy cause so hopefully someone who isnt up Ford's arse can provide us with the answer.

Keep asking around then mate.