British Speedway Forum

23 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Well done to the title-winning riders who are all off to the Abu Dhabi F1 at the end of November - including guest Nick Morris. Brady is also able to join them.

It was going to be Las Vegas but Freddie Jacobsen is 'too young' to be allowed to enjoy everything on offer so, Abu Dhabi it is with the management and a couple of the club sponsors. (see today's Bournemouth Echo for full story).  www.bournemouthecho.co.uk

There is  the first of the Autumn/Winter supporters club (R.E.F.) gatherings in Champs Bar at the stadium on November 14th which will include showing the film/dvd of the 70th Anniversary Dinner featuring interviews with 20+ past and present riders, for those fans that were unable to attend back in March.

Not sure if any of the riders or management will be in attendance?

Well I guess Shovvy ain't going. As he said watching the 2nd leg at Lynn with about 200 fans was enough for him :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Well I guess Shovvy ain't going. As he said watching the 2nd leg at Lynn with about 200 fans was enough for him :P

This event is nothing to do with a end of season social it's the first of our ref nights during the winter 

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Mike. Again you have not read my post properly. My first sentence says, “I can understand people not being able to get time off work.....”

Most people can afford £75 for a playoff final trip. And it would be much less if the fuel was shared. Whether people would want a 11 hour round trip to Kings Lynn is a different argument when it’s on TV.

Ok my opologies for the first part. But again although the sharing is the better option you still have to get around the work bit. But to state everybody should be able to afford the said monies for such a trip is a little bit off the mark, especially as you say when its on the TV. Do you remember 0-14, we took 3 coaches to Birmingham, but sadly times have changed, and a trip to KL you would have to fill a good 90% to make it worth while, and again sadly you just wouldnt do that. Hiring a mini bus is an option, but again, the stumbling block is the work problem . Nobody wants to get home at  daft o'clock and get out for 6-7 am to go to work. It would have been the same had BV got to the final. Now, had it been Somerset v Poole it may well have been a different matter altogether. Logistics and all that.

Edited by Starman2006

3 hours ago, ray c said:

This event is nothing to do with a end of season social it's the first of our ref nights during the winter 

I was referring to the second part of the post Ray. I didn't  realise that . Cheers :t:

3 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Ok my opologies for the first part. But again although the sharing is the better option you still have to get around the work bit. But to state everybody should be able to afford the said monies for such a trip is a little bit off the mark, especially as you say when its on the TV. Do you remember 0-14, we took 3 coaches to Birmingham, but sadly times have changed, and a trip to KL you would have to fill a good 90% to make it worth while, and again sadly you just wouldnt do that. Hiring a mini bus is an option, but again, the stumbling block is the work problem . Nobody wants to get home at  daft o'clock and get out for 6-7 am to go to work. It would have been the same had BV got to the final. Now, had it been Somerset v Poole it may well have been a different matter altogether. Logistics and all that.

Swindon has tried hiring a minibus this season but very few hire companies now have them and the prices for the few that do have them have gone through the roof so the supporters club did not bother.

5 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Swindon has tried hiring a minibus this season but very few hire companies now have them and the prices for the few that do have them have gone through the roof so the supporters club did not bother.

Yup, i can believe you.

1 hour ago, A ORLOV said:

There's plenty of minibuses to hire in Norfolk, our problem is getting a driver, it's a big responsibility and very tiring. We hired coaches to Poole and Belle Vue for meetings at the end of the season but struggled to find enough fans to cover the very high cost, a few of us were lucky enough to have jobs where we were able to book off random days, quite a few were retired people. Both trips cost about £30-£40 a head...  It's really difficult to organise speedway trips because of weather and the worry of not getting enough people to cover the costs, hard work!! 

2 minutes ago, Trees said:

There's plenty of minibuses to hire in Norfolk, our problem is getting a driver, it's a big responsibility and very tiring. We hired coaches to Poole and Belle Vue for meetings at the end of the season but struggled to find enough fans to cover the very high cost, a few of us were lucky enough to have jobs where we were able to book off random days, quite a few were retired people. Both trips cost about £30-£40 a head...  It's really difficult to organise speedway trips because of weather and the worry of not getting enough people to cover the costs, hard work!! 

A few years ago we could hire a minibus 13 or 17 seater for about £90, now it is way above that.

22 hours ago, BluPanther said:

That must be why home ownership is now declining faster than speedway attendances ... And, i don't own a smart phone either  :D

And many thousands have to rent there homes and will NEVER be in a position to buy.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 10:27 PM, Trees said:

i used to drive the minibus for Norwich Ladies FC to the away games, shouldn't be too difficult getting a driver for speedway meetings

2 hours ago, stevehone said:

i used to drive the minibus for Norwich Ladies FC to the away games, shouldn't be too difficult getting a driver for speedway meetings

You're on then next year Steve!! 

1 hour ago, Trees said:

You're on then next year Steve!! 

Sure, never knew it was an issue

7 hours ago, stevehone said:

Sure, never knew it was an issue

Yes, should've asked earlier! TY